Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can somene talk me out of this car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 03:12 AM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Can somene talk me out of this car?

My heart is set on a 2005 Carrera S with 90K miles. It has Sport Chrono, full leather, PCCB, power heated seats (but I am not sure why MSRP is 143k on sticker according to vin decoder).

IMS and clutch has been replaced.

According to seller, car had never been in accidents but hood has been repainted due to road rash (but you cannot tell it has been repainted). Carfax is clean.

His bottom price is $27,000 (I can't go any lower as he will keep it in museum if it is not sold at this price - as he said). What might I be running into ? Possibly bore scoring at this mileage? I was dead set on not getting any Carrera S below 2006 model but I saw this and how it fit my budget, it changed my mind and that's why I am asking for help

Should I walk/run away from this car?

TIA
Old 07-06-2017, 08:59 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 151 Posts

PCCB and full leather cost lots when ordered new. Its pretty rare to see PCCB on a S. At 90K miles if the PCCB needs replaced, its very pricey. I would get them inspected to be sure the rotors and pads have service life left in them and don't have any chips or cracks.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:35 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 391 Likes on 255 Posts

Definitely a PPI. Price seems about right. I wouldn't hesitate if it passes inspection and you are comfortable with the maintenance prices on the car, as you are buying a 143k vehicle with associated upkeep costs.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:23 AM
Derek Zoolander
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post the VIN

Manual or Tiptronic?
Old 07-06-2017, 11:27 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

+1 on what's already been said.....this could be a "Launch Edition" for the 997 model and it does carry a premium when new. At $143K MSRP, it must have every option.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

If it's an early '05, it could have the small single row IMS bearing if it hasn't been changed already - budget a few thouusand to do that once you buy it. If it's a cold climate car, you'll want to have it scoped for bore scoring. If the PCCB rotors are in good shape, I'll may buy them from you if you don't want to worry about them in the future. Any overrevs - how long ago? Is it black on black with Adaptive Sport Seats - if so, it's probably a launch car, which would be a great find and is probably undervalued at that price, even at that mileage.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:32 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DC911S
PCCB and full leather cost lots when ordered new. Its pretty rare to see PCCB on a S. At 90K miles if the PCCB needs replaced, its very pricey. I would get them inspected to be sure the rotors and pads have service life left in them and don't have any chips or cracks.
From my research PCCB should last life of the car if the car is not tracked. Was that incorrect?

Originally Posted by Kellen
Definitely a PPI. Price seems about right. I wouldn't hesitate if it passes inspection and you are comfortable with the maintenance prices on the car, as you are buying a 143k vehicle with associated upkeep costs.
What associated repairs should I be expecting other than PCCB replacement cost?

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
+1 on what's already been said.....this could be a "Launch Edition" for the 997 model and it does carry a premium when new. At $143K MSRP, it must have every option.
IT does have option 762 PAG Code - Launch code

but I am not sure if that is what you guys are referring to

Originally Posted by Petza914
If it's an early '05, it could have the small single row IMS bearing if it hasn't been changed already - budget a few thouusand to do that once you buy it. If it's a cold climate car, you'll want to have it scoped for bore scoring. If the PCCB rotors are in good shape, I'll may buy them from you if you don't want to worry about them in the future. Any overrevs - how long ago? Is it black on black with Adaptive Sport Seats - if so, it's probably a launch car, which would be a great find and is probably undervalued at that price, even at that mileage.
yes it is early '05 (production date 7/2004). Seller said previous owner changed the IMS bearing as preventative. He has receipts for that. It is cold climate car so I am not sure how to check for bore scoring ...that's the only thing scaring me on the car.
Here are serious of questions to be able to respond to you:
How would I know if has been over revved?
How do I check if it has bore scoring?
Yes it is black on black with adaptive sports seats. What is so special about launch car? It has code 762 PAG Code - Launch code

One thing seller just informed me is that car has been in a lot of small fender benders. It has a lot of history on car collision and repairs. which is why he is pricing it low
Old 07-06-2017, 12:51 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

You need a Durametric reader to pull the overrev report from the DME or a Porsche PIWIS scanner if having a PPI done at a dealer. It will provide you the # of instances where the engine has been revved past the redline and at what hour the most recent ones in any of the 6 ranges took place. Search for overrev report and you'll find lots of info.

When Porsche releases a new model, the do a package of a certain color with certain equipment and these are the "Launch Cars". Usually it's all the good stuff someone would want, but at a value package price - for example, the PCCB brakes with the adaptive sport seats in this case. If street driven PCCB rotors should last the life of the car - pads probably will need to be replaced but at 143k miles, they probably aren't the original pads - the PCCB brake system should be gone over very carefully by the tech during the PPI for wear and chips. A single replacement rotor is about $5,000 from Porsche, but don't let this scare you away as they are unbelievable brakes - never fade, last forever, don't rust after a wash, and don't generate any brake dust - I mean virtually none.

To check for bore scoring, the spark plugs need to be removed and a scope put into the cylinders - you really only need to check cylinders #3 & #6. Also, scoring usually starts low on the cylinder wall if the piston skirt scrapes the side, so you may also want to have the tech pull the oil pan to look up from below as well - also a good opportunity to look for any bearing or tensioner paddle debris that may have collected in the sump which would alert you to other problems that would need to be addressed.

On a 143k mile car, I would do an extensive PPI even though it may cost quite a bit, but that also depends on how long you plan to keep the car as to whether it's worth it on a 27,000 car.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:03 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

The car is at 90K miles and MSRP of 143K.....still full PPI.

With the history of a bunch of fender benders, keep in mind that if you sell later on it may be difficult unless someone is looking for a track rat.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-997
My heart is set on a 2005 Carrera S with 90K miles. It has Sport Chrono, full leather, PCCB, power heated seats (but I am not sure why MSRP is 143k on sticker according to vin decoder).

According to seller, car had never been in accidents but hood has been repainted due to road rash (but you cannot tell it has been repainted). Carfax is clean.

His bottom price is $27,000 (I can't go any lower as he will keep it in museum if it is not sold at this price - as he said). What might I be running into ? Possibly bore scoring at this mileage? I was dead set on not getting any Carrera S below 2006 model but I saw this and how it fit my budget, it changed my mind and that's why I am asking for help

TIA
Put the car in a museum if he doesn't get his price? With 2005 Carrera S with 90K+ miles car as its only enticement? Oh yeah, I'd stand in line to see that. Not.

Everything a car seller tells you is intended to get you buy to the car as soon as possible and to pay as much for the car as possible. This "threat" to put the car in a museum certainly qualifies. And is a lame threat, too.

Remember price is not fact only an opinion. The seller has his opinion and you are entitled to have your own.

Is this car the best example you can find and afford?

The "IMS" (bearing?) was replaced?

What brand/type of IMS bearing was used? When was this done? Who did it? Was the job preceeded by the required -- at least by some aftermarket IMSB makers -- pre-IMSB replacement check out/pre-qualification?

Some replacement IMSB's have a limited life and are supposed to be replaced after every IIRC 50K miles. Is this IMSB due to be replaced again on miles?
Old 07-06-2017, 01:39 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 27k too high

I'd run. pccbs are a liability that matters when cost does. you should be able to find a similar car without pccb for that price . good luck

TIA
Old 07-06-2017, 01:41 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Petza914
You need a Durametric reader to pull the overrev report from the DME or a Porsche PIWIS scanner if having a PPI done at a dealer. It will provide you the # of instances where the engine has been revved past the redline and at what hour the most recent ones in any of the 6 ranges took place. Search for overrev report and you'll find lots of info.

When Porsche releases a new model, the do a package of a certain color with certain equipment and these are the "Launch Cars". Usually it's all the good stuff someone would want, but at a value package price - for example, the PCCB brakes with the adaptive sport seats in this case. If street driven PCCB rotors should last the life of the car - pads probably will need to be replaced but at 143k miles, they probably aren't the original pads - the PCCB brake system should be gone over very carefully by the tech during the PPI for wear and chips. A single replacement rotor is about $5,000 from Porsche, but don't let this scare you away as they are unbelievable brakes - never fade, last forever, don't rust after a wash, and don't generate any brake dust - I mean virtually none.

To check for bore scoring, the spark plugs need to be removed and a scope put into the cylinders - you really only need to check cylinders #3 & #6. Also, scoring usually starts low on the cylinder wall if the piston skirt scrapes the side, so you may also want to have the tech pull the oil pan to look up from below as well - also a good opportunity to look for any bearing or tensioner paddle debris that may have collected in the sump which would alert you to other problems that would need to be addressed.

On a 143k mile car, I would do an extensive PPI even though it may cost quite a bit, but that also depends on how long you plan to keep the car as to whether it's worth it on a 27,000 car.
Sorry but I misunderstood you, launch car is worth only 5K? then why MSRP on car is $143K? The only two options I see on the car extra is adaptive seats and PCCB. I don't see anything else special
Old 07-06-2017, 01:43 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by love2drive
I'd run. pccbs are a liability that matters when cost does. you should be able to find a similar car without pccb for that price . good luck
PCCB are actually one of the things nice to have. If they are in good shape then that is not a big issue to me.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:57 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

PCCB are actually one of the things nice to have. If they are in good shape then that is not a big issue to me.
pccb mean a minimum $15k replacement cost used, they dont last nearlt as long if tracked even twice a year.. and itll be $10k to replace with used steel brakes. to me, that is a liability that should matter if I were cost sensitive. Porsche steel brakes are no joke.. world class. only benefit from pccbs (for streets)is lack of brake dust, but you can always use ceramic pads with steel rotors.

also, red flag is the $145k MSRP. in 2005, you could have had a 911gt3 for that price.

I wouldn't. good luck
Old 07-06-2017, 02:09 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 151 Posts

From my research PCCB should last life of the car if the car is not tracked. Was that incorrect?
Well Porsche says that, but I take that with a grain of salt and a speck of advertising....I would get them weighed and looked at carefully for chips or cracks.

Quick Reply: Can somene talk me out of this car?