Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1: Name that oil filter debris

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 07:36 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 460 Likes on 165 Posts

Quick update. I got the Blackstone report back. Appears like the switch to Motul increased the Zinc, Phosphorus and viscosity levels that Pete and Jake were concerned about in the last report.

My indy wasn't concerned on the bit of timing chain wear guide in the filter. He couldn't figure out what the blue rubber bit was from but speculated it was likely a gasket that got pinched.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:08 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Quick update. I got the Blackstone report back. Appears like the switch to Motul increased the Zinc, Phosphorus and viscosity levels that Pete and Jake were concerned about in the last report.

My indy wasn't concerned on the bit of timing chain wear guide in the filter. He couldn't figure out what the blue rubber bit was from but speculated it was likely a gasket that got pinched.

When you reinstalled the oil pan, did you use a blue sealant possibly? If so, it might be some of that and hope you put on a smear and not a bead, as too thick a bead can break loose on the inside and start clogging the oil pickup. The increase in Silicon also leads me to believe you've created a new gasket with a tube of something as that's a component in gasket material, not an indication of reduced air filter effectiveness, though that would show up the same way.

The Zinc and Phosphorus numbers are clearly better, but would be even better still (couple hundred points higher on each) with a switch to DT40, but if you're under warranty you don't want to do that yet since it's not A40 approved, and it requires a flush procedure before the change. Either way, you're moving in the right direction for the good of your motor, so nice job.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:19 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Petza914
When you reinstalled the oil pan, did you use a blue sealant possibly? If so, it might be some of that and hope you put on a smear and not a bead, as too thick a bead can break loose on the inside and start clogging the oil pickup. The increase in Silicon also leads me to believe you've created a new gasket with a tube of something as that's a component in gasket material, not an indication of reduced air filter effectiveness, though that would show up the same way.

The Zinc and Phosphorus numbers are clearly better, but would be even better still (couple hundred points higher on each) with a switch to DT40, but if you're under warranty you don't want to do that yet since it's not A40 approved, and it requires a flush procedure before the change. Either way, you're moving in the right direction for the good of your motor, so nice job.
Thx Pete. I was thinking the same after we dropped the oil pan, but the sealant was black, not blue.

I didn't follow this part:

The increase in Silicon also leads me to believe you've created a new gasket with a tube of something as that's a component in gasket material
I dropped the oil pan and put in a new engine air filter...?

I'll PM you about the DT40 flush. I might try that on my next oil change.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:58 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Silicon is essentially dirt and what could come through a compromised air filter, but is also in form-a-gasket products so the higher silicon number in this case is likely not a dirty or poor air filter, but is rather higher than last time because of the resealing of the oil pan you did and will likely be back to a lower # at your next oil change, so nothing to worry about.

If it's not a lot of trouble though, you might want to double check that the seal on the air filter is properly seated and not letting intake air past a gap somewhere just to be safe.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:56 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Petza914
Silicon is essentially dirt and what could come through a compromised air filter, but is also in form-a-gasket products so the higher silicon number in this case is likely not a dirty or poor air filter, but is rather higher than last time because of the resealing of the oil pan you did and will likely be back to a lower # at your next oil change, so nothing to worry about.

If it's not a lot of trouble though, you might want to double check that the seal on the air filter is properly seated and not letting intake air past a gap somewhere just to be safe.
Pete you rock. Thanks so much for the continued help.

I will check the air filter this weekend.

Quick Reply: 997.1: Name that oil filter debris