Sponsored by:

Anthracite wheels on Midnight Blue

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 07:41 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 766 Posts
Default Anthracite wheels on Midnight Blue

Many years ago I bought lovely gray indoor outdoor carpet for my 58 ****** M38A1. I should mention that I'm color blind and apparently my color choice was in error. I have since agreed to yield any color options to Pam.

So back to today. Sandstorm damage to windshield and front end is resulting in new paint and glass. The body shop is suggesting I move forward with the anthracite wheel repair I've been lusting for so they can match that color for the grill inserts. Pam is not understanding non silver wheels on a blue car.

Does anybody have pictures that I could show her?

Thanks in advance. For all of you in the USA, have a great 4th.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:37 AM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I know these aren't pics of "anthracite" wheels on a dark blue car, but I think it still gives an idea - these are GT Silver wheels on a deep green car. I feel it gives a very "classy" look (as opposed to a "racey" look).

That said, i think that the contrast provided by the machined lip is critical to the look, and that would be difficult to do nicely on the Carrera S II wheels because of the spoke design. An all-charcoal/anthracite wheel with a darker/deeper colour would likely result in an "industrial" look. I think that the coloured centre caps also help, but that may be tough to arrange with an aftermarket wheel colour.

These are just my preferences/opinions, and they are not meant to suggest that A is better than B.
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2017, 01:06 PM
roadglide47
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Discount Tire website. You can enter your car with the color and see different styles and colors of what it will look like. Not all colors may be available but you should be able to get close.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:46 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's midnight blue with grey and yellow

Silver looks better IMHO

Also here is Atlas with, well, Atlas. It's a similar type of color as it is veryy dynamic based on light conditions. This looks better IMHO

Old 07-01-2017, 05:09 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

I think silver looks better than anthracite on your midnight blue car.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:39 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe I missed something...but why not black?
<---
Old 07-01-2017, 07:09 PM
Appraiser
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have anthracite but I do think it'll look nice. Here's another midnight blue with black:

Name:  an1G2Zgl.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  45.4 KB

When the light is right and the purple pops out more in the color the wheels make a nice offset.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:34 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I would rather see silver wheels on a dark car
Old 07-01-2017, 10:45 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have seen Sport Classics (Fuchs) on Atlas Grey and it looked pretty nice. I guess it depends on your definition of anthracite. Do we mean black or very dark metallic? If it is dark titanium it would look very nice on Midnight Blue.

I do tend to agree black wheels on a navy car does need some contrast.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:08 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for your inputs.

Anthracite to me is a dark titanium. A color that will help hide brake dust but still offer contrast to the body.

The OEM silver wheels get dirty ten miles into a spirited drive even if I make a point of not using the brakes!!!

I'm not into the full black (wheels) on virtually black (Midnight Blue), preferring some contrast. I'm not saying all black is wrong. It's just that with my color vision deficiency it doesn't work for me.

And, now, I guess maybe I'm not as ready to commit to a new wheel color as I thought I was.

The body shop suggested I move forward with the wheels so they could match the grill inserts. That would have been a nice touch. The car goes in on July 17th. The local wheel shop does same day service. I've got a little time ... just a little ... to decide to change or leave things the way they are.

I'd still love to hear opinions. I'll post pictures when it's done.

Ahh, that reminds me. The front bumper license plate holes are going away. I was going to go with a tow hook mount with the plate, but I've never cared for the resulting angle (not parallel to the front of the car). So I am also debating a one off fabrication. I've got access to a mill, lathe, welders, cutting torches, etc. Any comments or suggestions?
Old 07-02-2017, 02:01 AM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You could also take a look at Black Chrome. It is neither Black or Chrome, though is darker than the OEM GT Silver wheel finish. Both Iceter and I have a set of wheels in this finish and it is quite stunning. I can post pics of my wheels if you like.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:05 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

That's a great idea. I've always loved black chrome. First saw it on motorcycle exhausts almost 40 years ago. I'd love to see pictures.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:39 AM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've always wanted a dark blue 911. It's one of the best colors for the 997.2 coupe. And the Carrera SII wheels are modern classics. They really fit the revisions on the 997.2. I, for one, believe your car would look amazing with your wheels painted a metallic medium gray, like Meteor Gray or Seal Gray. Maybe even a metallic Slate Gray. They need to be glossy, though. So many times people seem to think matte is the way to go with dark colored wheels. I think they need to be low sheen to glossy, and never matte. Best of luck. I think you're onto something. I hope it turns out great.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:58 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,534 Likes on 4,161 Posts

Wayne, don't do black - it will look like a bruise and you'll lose any visibility of the wheel detail. I'd stay silver or look up some photos of a finish called transparent smoke - that one could be a winner for you.

http://www.forgeline.com/products/ac...ent-smoke.html
Old 07-02-2017, 10:05 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Notwithstanding the black Centerlocks on my black GTS, I prefer the full contrast of a lighter color. Although, the look has grown on me. But without the silver lip, I'm sure I would have swapped out by now, and if I didn't want the bother of trying to sell the black set.

I have a tow hook mount kit sitting in the frunk waiting for the day when I get tagged. You're welcome to try it out, and /or use it to model the kit you have in mind. If you are able to develop a stable, less slanted kit, bet you have product others would want.

Quick Reply: Anthracite wheels on Midnight Blue