Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Black Chrome
Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2017, 12:13 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,502 Likes on 942 Posts

I had BBS CH-R wheels in anthracite with a polished lip on my 997 TT. They were fantastic. They could look quite dark or quite light, depending on sunlight.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:50 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Notwithstanding the black Centerlocks on my black GTS, I prefer the full contrast of a lighter color. Although, the look has grown on me. But without the silver lip, I'm sure I would have swapped out by now, and if I didn't want the bother of trying to sell the black set.

I have a tow hook mount kit sitting in the frunk waiting for the day when I get tagged. You're welcome to try it out, and /or use it to model the kit you have in mind. If you are able to develop a stable, less slanted kit, bet you have product others would want.
Joe, your black on black with black wheels GTS looks awesome. The only thing that is going to make it look better is when you're finally back behind the wheel ... say, heading to Werks in August 8)
Old 07-02-2017, 08:52 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 102 Posts

Drove the wagon to Santa Cruz today, left foot!
Old 07-04-2017, 10:31 AM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is a pic of my Black Chromed wheels, that was done by Prince Wheels in Charlotte. There are few threads here where other folks have had their wheels done there. If you google 997 Black Chrome, you will find a few pics of a blue 997 and a copy of the same pic photoshopped to a Black 997 that show pics of these wheels. Inbox me if you have more questions.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:35 AM
gopirates
Racer

Oh, and another thing, you can play with the Porsche new car configurator. You can get the new style Sport Classic wheels in a dark titanium/anthracite oem color. That will give you an idea of how it looks on Midnight Blue.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:01 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,651 Likes on 4,229 Posts

Chaos' black chrome looks too black to me for the look I think you're going for, but gopirates would be good. I'm wondering if those look darker on different angles though, which would be cool as long as they don't get too dark.

I still think a transparent smoke would be a real winner though - lots of depth and slight hue change based on lighting, and the type of darker grey / anthracite you were looking for. This page has lots of wheel types in different configurations shot from different angles with that finish on it.

http://www.forgeline.com/products/ac...-smoke.html#q3

Here's 1 pic

Old 07-04-2017, 12:51 PM
gopirates
Racer

Mine definitely have a lot of variance based on angle and light. They also tend to look better when brake dust accumulates, which is not necessarily a bad thing. in talking with Prince, their effect is meant to emulate the Black Chrome that is seen on BMWs a lot.

Iceter may have pics of his he is willing to share as well.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:52 PM
Grant L
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car was very dirty at the time, but you can see my Midnight Blue with both a silver lobster as well as a anthracite-ish lobster that I was running as a spare.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:08 AM
newbwrx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Thank you all for your inputs.

Anthracite to me is a dark titanium. A color that will help hide brake dust but still offer contrast to the body.

The OEM silver wheels get dirty ten miles into a spirited drive even if I make a point of not using the brakes!!!

I'm not into the full black (wheels) on virtually black (Midnight Blue), preferring some contrast. I'm not saying all black is wrong. It's just that with my color vision deficiency it doesn't work for me.

And, now, I guess maybe I'm not as ready to commit to a new wheel color as I thought I was.

The body shop suggested I move forward with the wheels so they could match the grill inserts. That would have been a nice touch. The car goes in on July 17th. The local wheel shop does same day service. I've got a little time ... just a little ... to decide to change or leave things the way they are.

I'd still love to hear opinions. I'll post pictures when it's done.

Ahh, that reminds me. The front bumper license plate holes are going away. I was going to go with a tow hook mount with the plate, but I've never cared for the resulting angle (not parallel to the front of the car). So I am also debating a one off fabrication. I've got access to a mill, lathe, welders, cutting torches, etc. Any comments or suggestions?
Wayne,
My car didn't have a front plate when I purchased it, and I wasn't about to drill holes in the bumper. I installed a Sto-N-Sho license plate bracket. 4 small holes in the plastic, underneath the bumper. Easily removes in seconds.
No affiliation.
Mike
Attached Images   
Old 07-07-2017, 10:15 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone.

Grant L's second picture pushed Pam toward darker grills rather than the current silver, and the final decision was to match the grills to the car. So the wheel color can wait a while longer ... no need to match the grills to the wheels.

As for the wheels ... Black chrome sounds interesting, but potentially too black and maybe not controllable. Liquid smoke is beautiful. Pam appreciated Grant L's first photo with silver and anthracite on the same car and has begun to migrate away from silver only. So a decision still needs to be made.

The car goes in on the 17th and I'll be in withdrawal until I drive it home two weeks later. How long do I really need to wait on the clear bra? I can already feel my patience running out 8(

Photos to come as this progresses.

Thanks again to all of you for your thoughts and insights.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:17 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by newbwrx
Wayne,
My car didn't have a front plate when I purchased it, and I wasn't about to drill holes in the bumper. I installed a Sto-N-Sho license plate bracket. 4 small holes in the plastic, underneath the bumper. Easily removes in seconds.
No affiliation.
Mike
And thanks as well to newbrwx. I will go with the Sto-N-Sho, painted Midnight Blue.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:06 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Three shops with which I consulted (and Chris) said ONE MONTH! I'm going to have a hell of a time waiting the 12 days once my boot comes off.

I don't see a bracket listed for Porsche other than 2014-2017. The same for other years?
Old 07-08-2017, 02:01 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Delete.

Last edited by Wayne Smith; 07-08-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:39 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

See email. Take this offline.

Quick Reply: Anthracite wheels on Midnight Blue