Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Momo quick release wheel need help with my horn....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 06:58 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Momo quick release wheel need help with my horn....

Licking the problems one at a time to earn my inspection sticker and all that is in the way is my horn. Momo 69 wheel and NRG QR. has anyone nailed this booger yet? 06 Carrera 4. Running a Momo spacer as well. I've never had luck with my resistors or the horn, no matter what I try. I'll be out in the garage with a multimeter and test light. Any help would be appreciated as Momo doesn't give you much in the way of instructions and horn must work to pass state inspection. Air bag does not need to work and its warning on the column won't go away unless Porsche dealer and PIWIS is the only way to extinguish it.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:17 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

I installed a Momo Prototipo on my car and was able to keep the horn working and no airbag light. The following thread was the key for everything to work out as I hoped:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ag-jumper.html

My car is a 997.2 but hopefully it will work out for you as well.

Good luck!
Old 06-29-2017, 08:18 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

That's me in the post you referred to, trying to figure out this horn the first time! I remember the harness connected at position 3....and the other wire is a ground that should be connected to the thin ring sandwiched between the extension and the QR, and has a tab that sticks out for the spade connection running to the horn button I assume.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:02 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ALEV8
That's me in the post you referred to, trying to figure out this horn the first time! I remember the harness connected at position 3....and the other wire is a ground that should be connected to the thin ring sandwiched between the extension and the QR, and has a tab that sticks out for the spade connection running to the horn button I assume.
Oops! I didn't open the thread this time when sending you the link and I didn't know you were in there.

Unfortunately I can't help you regarding the details of the installation because I had mine installed at a local Porsche place.

Hopefully you will be able to make it work!
Old 06-29-2017, 09:29 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Seems too simple to hand over to the pros....I'm on it. I'm a few degrees off with my wheel anyway. Needs to be one spline over to the right.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:28 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

Here you go:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post12595138
Old 06-30-2017, 12:39 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

The MOMO horns work by completing the ground side of the horn circuit when you press the button, which is why when you try to install them and the wire slips out of your hand or touches anything in the vicinity, it blows the horn and scares the bejeezus out of you, even though you're expecting it to happen.

All those metal bits and contact rings connect to the horn ground wires and the horn + wire goes to one of the wires on the horn button, so the button always has 12v + and when you press it, the spring and contacts ground, competing the circuit and sounding the horn.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:05 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Guys I did not have a chance to touch this today.....great work as usual from NWGTS, and I'm planning on activating just the MOMO center horn button. Really, MOMO needs to at minimum have a detailed pdf online somewhere......i'll get it sorted. I have 3 weeks. I never had the horn go off during install so maybe the fuse blew? Bear with me and I'll post some pics when i pull it all off. Taco'd a wheel today and I'm sure my alignment is F'd......I may have to take a drive to Chicago to finish it off!
Old 07-06-2017, 03:34 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

So, despite all my mechanical inclination and experience, how the ____ this wiring works still eludes me.

I'm using the factory harness between the column clock spring and quick disconnect/wheel. My Momo has ONE large button in the center..... so does EACH horn wire from car need to separately connect at the quick disconnect/wheel? Which is power? I'll be sweating with the mosquitoes in the garage trying to figure this out.....
Old 07-06-2017, 04:26 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

I've done Momo horn buttons on my 914 and 928, but not on a 997, so I may not be the most help here. On these cars it's easy - there are just two wires that come up through the steering column - you attach one to the spade on the wheel hub and the other to the horn button. The gold ring on the wheel provides for continuous contact for ground with the hub and when you press the button, it completes the ground circuit.

I know there are others in this forum that have, so I'm going to leave the responding up to them since it will be more helpful to you in this particular application.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:21 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

FIXED. Peeked inside the quick disconnect hub to examine the circuit, and saw one wire WAS DISCONNECTED.....all these mosquito bites for nothing. Hate it when that happens.

Predictably I then went ham and chopped the wire spade terminals off, pulled out the harness pins from the xlockspring harness carefully and hooked them up directly to the horn button. It works. IT WORKS!!!!

I have to drive this thing to reset the readiness codes and get it inspected. Now if I could somehow extinguish the SRS airbag light stored on the column.....pretty sure PIWIS is the only thing that can clear a stored fault there.
Attached Images   

Last edited by ALEV8; 07-06-2017 at 11:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Momo quick release wheel need help with my horn....