Sponsored by:

So i got new tires; S-04's

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 02:25 AM
becauseitis
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
Default So i got new tires; S-04's

It was time as the rears were down past the wear bar. Fronts were still good but pretty old. All PS2. Decided to try the Bridgestones as they seemed to get good reviews and good value. Ordered from Tire Rack. Had them shipped to local Porsche Dealer. Were delivered within a few days. All good.
Dropped car off for the day for install and alignment. Dealer Called at 4 p.m. and said could not get it aligned since equipment was tied up all day but tires were on and could be picked up. I needed the car back so i picked it up. On the drive home; TPMS light came on as they had not reset it for the new tires. Also noticed the tires seemed super squirly. Was really regretting going with the S-04's as the PS2's drove perfectly straight and the car was stuck to the ground. Checked the pressure on drive home on the tpms and said 90psi on rear and 72 on fronts. Thought that can't be right and must be since they did not reset the system for the new tires. Got home and feeling like i wanted to sell the tires on e-bay and go back to the michelins. decided to check the pressure with my manual gauge just because. Pressure read 80+ on the backs and 70+on the fronts. I let a Shi%^%*& load of air out and got them down to 42 and 37. Took a drive and the car felt normal again. Long story short, check your pressure after getting new ones installed! Dealer says they are looking into why it was not set correct.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:46 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

S-04's are excellent tires. I have been running them the last 5 years.

Always allow 200 miles, +/-, for the tires to breakin. Plus you are coming from virtually no tread to brand new, deep tread. That too requires getting used to.

As for how your dealer sent you home...... not good.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:44 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

The tire mounting monkeys over inflate all tires to 9o+ on the machine to set the bead. They then install the valve and set the pressure. Tire monkey must have heard the banana bell go off and pealed off for a break. Since your checking other peoples work, groove... double check the lug bolt torque? And if you have a wheel lug bolt lock? Make sure the key is back in your car.
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2017, 10:02 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal
S-04's are excellent tires. I have been running them the last 5 years.......
I have had S04 in my other car before (a few years ago) and they start to get very noise when the thread is about 50% down. Have they improved on the noise front since ?
Old 06-08-2017, 10:09 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
I have had S04 in my other car before (a few years ago) and they start to get very noise when the thread is about 50% down. Have they improved on the noise front since ?
My tread is now as low as the OP's and will be replaced soon. And yes, they are pretty noisy now. But that is a recent thing. They were OK 3,000 miles ago.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:31 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Tire monkey got me too and psi was 55. Car got scarey squirrelly

I find the S04 as pretty stiff and not as smooth as OEM pzeros at higher speeds. Though the grip around town is very very good. Happy with them overall.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:01 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just put the S04s on mine to replace the old worn PS2s. So far only have a few hundred miles (maybe 5?) on them, but they are excellent. Actually MUCH prefer them to the PS2s, but in fairness I bought the car with the PS2s already on them, so not a fair comparison between old and new tires perhaps. But objectively, I like the S04s a lot... Absolutely the right balance and for a non-track vehicle I just don't see the need for the extra coin on the PS2s.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:07 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here. The good tire installers at Costco had all 4 tires overinflated by 10psi. After a few hundred miles they settle in nice.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:20 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

you said the car felt squirly, I was going to tell you to check the air pressure. That is common with overinflated tire.
Theres one thing I can say for sure, not even seating the tire would you ever go to 90lbs
I think they should be reported to the service manager and the owner, and porsche
(Read max press on side of tire, WARNING, EXPLOSION OF TIRE/RIM DUE TO OVERINFLATION never exceed 40 psi to seat bead)
Old 06-09-2017, 01:57 AM
becauseitis
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I sent an email to the service consultant to see if the Service Manager had anything to say about it. Have not heard back yet. I was pretty concerned about exactly that; tire blowing or something bad happening. I sent an email to Tire Rack and they said tires should still be fine; so long as it was driven on relatively short miles. they also offered me a $50 gift card! Wasn't even their fault so i give them kudos for awesome customer support. tires feel really good now; with normal pressure! I think the PS 2's might be a tad more responsive but very happy with Bridgestones now.

Quick Reply: So i got new tires; S-04's