Sponsored by:

Wife's new 997.2 cab and questions about pdk, suspension and wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 09:44 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts
Default Wife's new 997.2 cab and questions about pdk, suspension and wheels

Wifey wanted an easy to use, reliable convertible she can drive here in Nashville for the summer. We had one more small garage space in Nashville so I relented . . .

Anyway, she picked this one out 100%. She did not care about hp (so base was cool) and she wanted white, tan, pdk and ventilated/cooled seats in super clean condition. We got the car home. It is super clean and checks all of her boxes, but we don't like the wheels and 4X4 look in person.

Lol, I only care about hp/performance, manual and cool wheels . . .

Questions:

Our current pdk yardstick is her Macan S and my 991.1 GT3. Are the older 997.2 pdks somewhat less smooth starting from a stop and going gentle into drive or reverse, especially when just rolling and not getting on the throttle?

The car was inspected by an Indie due to logistics (seller an hour away from dealer), but the car was always serviced by dealership and last major service was about 10k miles ago. Indie found nothing wrong at all with the car. Would dealer have updated software as a matter of course or only upon customer complaints about pdk (i.e., don't fix what ain't broken mentality)?

Suspension and wheels:

This thing has brand new tires so wondering if just springs and spacers will make the base 18s look better? Do you guys have any recommendations on springs and spacer size for the 18s that will work well with 19s if we can the car past summer and change out the wheels?

Does anyone have pictures with base wheels on a lowered car with spacers to see how it looks?

Does anyone have a set of lightly used turbo, or preferable turbo II, wheels they want to sale?

Does anyone need a set of 18s for winter or whatever wear that has brand new Contis?
Attached Images   
Old 05-30-2017, 09:57 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Congrats on the new addition!

Can't comment on wheels /suspension. The only issue I have ever had with the PDK is its operation in reverse. Moving forward, always been smooth, from a stop, gear change up or down. However, it occasionally does clunk down into first when coming to a stop in Sport or Sport +. (does the car have Sport Chrono?)

Somewhat balky in reverse, have to give it more gas than I think you should, then catches and away you go. I've learned to be patient with it in reverse.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 05-30-2017, 10:04 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Congrats on the new addition!

Can't comment on wheels /suspension. The only issue I have ever had with the PDK is its operation in reverse. Moving forward, always been smooth, from a stop, gear change up or down. However, it occasionally does clunk down into first when coming to a stop in Sport or Sport +. (does the car have Sport Chrono?)

Somewhat balky in reverse, have to give it more gas than I think you should, then catches and away you go. I've learned to be patient with it in reverse.

Enjoy the ride!
Yes, it does have sports chrono.

Its not bogging down or slipping. It also hold well starting out on a hill and shifts smoothly without slip.

Not sure how to explain the sensation. The car does not vibrate, but I can kind of feel slight vibration type sensation in steering wheel for a second or two if just let car roll forward or backward from dead stop with no gas added.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:59 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Eibach springs + 15mm spacers on all 4 corners.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:02 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Congrats on the new ride

If you want, I have a set of 19" Carrera Classic wheels (no curb rash), TPMS sensors with approx 3 years of life left, and 2 sets of 15mm spacers with longer bolts for sale.

I'm planning to put those up on the for sale section either today or tomorrow.

PM me if interested.

EDIT: Here's a couple pics of how my car used to look with those wheels and spacers after lowering it with Eibachs:
Attached Images   
Old 05-30-2017, 03:07 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

PDK can be weird when cold, at least that is what I have observed, definitely in reverse it can act odd, mine feels like it's cutting out for a second, but it's only when cold/first start.

You have to be a bit more liberal with throttle at lower speed (below 10 mph).
Old 05-30-2017, 07:15 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

If your wife likes the smooth ride I'd keep the 18" wheels, going to 19" wheels will make it a little more bumpy
Old 05-30-2017, 07:21 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 361 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Are the older 997.2 pdks somewhat less smooth starting from a stop and going gentle into drive or reverse, especially when just rolling and not getting on the throttle?
There is a software update that makes it feel like 991.1 - smooths out all the shifts. (991.1 shares the same transmission)
The dealer updated the software on mine.

BTW it will never feel like your GT3 because they have their own modified PDK transmissions separate from the regular 991's.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:45 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I second the Eibachs and spacers. If you get Turbo IIs and get real Turbo WB wheels you won't need spacers on the rears. I think I am running 15mm up front if I recall correctly.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:14 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Beware the PDK software update. It is not reversible. Some prefer the harder (more positive) shift. I specifically asked that the software not be updated when I had the 60K fluid replacement done.

The PDK is its own beast. It has its own personality. I suggest that you take time to get used to it before you do anything.

It takes time for the oil to get going through the PDK. It will be non-responsive for the first hundred yards or so. I figure it is best to be gentle until the transmission is eager to respond.

After that, put it in manual and enjoy shifting it yourself (best with the more aggressive software), or run it as an auto and kick back and enjoy the ride (perhaps better with the software update).
Old 05-31-2017, 12:55 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Good for her (and you) - looks really nice.

FYI - my polished and clear powdercoated lightweight Champion RS171s are for sale in The Marketplace. Would look great on that white cab. They're a NB fitment but filled out my wheel wells nicely. Here's the ad - https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ls-for-nb.html

and a couple pics

All 4

1 in direct sunlight

on car

I get to the Nashville area quite frequently as one of my largest customers is in LaVergne - probably coming again the week of the 19th or 26th. Also am only a couple hours from Atlanta if you get down that way and wanted to meet.

Let me know if interested.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:59 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
If your wife likes the smooth ride I'd keep the 18" wheels, going to 19" wheels will make it a little more bumpy
I'm with mumbles. Not your car, if wife likes the 18's, keep the 18's.
Maybe lower, maybe spacers. Bigger spacers will require longer bolts as well.
Mumbles and I are in the same city. With my morning commute, 35 minutes, and ten seconds of smooth pavement and non-construction. There are days I would like a 325/75/16 KO
Old 05-31-2017, 04:46 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 997.2

Originally Posted by Doug H
Wifey wanted an easy to use, reliable convertible she can drive here in Nashville for the summer. We had one more small garage space in Nashville so I relented . . .

Anyway, she picked this one out 100%. She did not care about hp (so base was cool) and she wanted white, tan, pdk and ventilated/cooled seats in super clean condition. We got the car home. It is super clean and checks all of her boxes, but we don't like the wheels and
4X4 look in person.

Lol, I only care about hp/performance, manual and cool wheels . . .

Questions:

Our current pdk yardstick is her Macan S and my 991.1 GT3. Are the older 997.2 pdks somewhat less smooth starting from a stop and going gentle into drive or reverse, especially when just rolling and not getting on the throttle?

The car was inspected by an Indie due to logistics (seller an hour away from dealer), but the car was always serviced by dealership and last major service was about 10k miles ago. Indie found nothing wrong at all with the car. Would dealer have updated software as a matter of course or only upon customer complaints about pdk (i.e., don't fix what ain't broken mentality)?

Suspension and wheels:

This thing has brand new tires so wondering if just springs and spacers will make the base 18s look better? Do you guys have any recommendations on springs and spacer size for the 18s that will work well with 19s if we can the car past summer and change out the wheels?

Does anyone have pictures with base wheels on a lowered car with spacers to see how it looks?

Does anyone have a set of lightly used turbo, or preferable turbo II, wheels they want to sale?

Does anyone need a set of 18s for winter or whatever wear that has brand new Contis?
Originally Posted by BIG smoke
I'm with mumbles. Not your car, if wife likes the 18's, keep the 18's.
Maybe lower, maybe spacers. Bigger spacers will require longer bolts as well.
Mumbles and I are in the same city. With my morning commute, 35 minutes, and ten seconds of smooth pavement and non-construction. There are days I would like a 325/75/16 KO
Eibachs and 7mm/15mm on stock 19"
wheels

Last edited by Redhot2474; 05-31-2017 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Added pic

Quick Reply: Wife's new 997.2 cab and questions about pdk, suspension and wheels