Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe a silly tire question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 05:52 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Hey guys, maybe you can help me. I think there is something wrong with my convertible top. I can't get it to latch. Here is a pic and I'm looking for opinions on what it might be.

After you all chime in, I'll mention that that isn't a pic of my car, it's not anything like my car and you're all stupid for pointing out that it's wrecked because you should all have used your psychic powers to know that my real car wasn't wrecked and, in fact, there never was anything wrong in the first place.

You all are so dumb.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:56 PM
911Finally
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iceter
Hey guys, maybe you can help me. I think there is something wrong with my convertible top. I can't get it to latch. Here is a pic and I'm looking for opinions on what it might be.

After you all chime in, I'll mention that that isn't a pic of my car, it's not anything like my car and you're all stupid for pointing out that it's wrecked because you should all have used your psychic powers to know that my real car wasn't wrecked and, in fact, there never was anything wrong in the first place.

You all are so dumb.

Wow, what DOUCHE BAG! I guess some Porsche owners ARE ********!
Old 05-28-2017, 07:54 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Finally
OK, so I think I can put this issue to rest. So I guess for those who were so adamant that they were installed wrong and I should go back were incorrect. Good to know I'm good to go. Although a bit out of the norm looking all is OK.
Seriously!!!!!! You mean your tires did not look anything like the first pic and really there was no issue ????? Lmao, what a complete waste of time and it is true...... there is no substitute for ........... but then maybe there is another member out there with the same problem you had and he was to afraid to post it..... thank you for answering this perplexing issue
Old 05-28-2017, 08:12 PM
911Finally
Instructor

Originally Posted by docdrs
Seriously!!!!!! You mean your tires did not look anything like the first pic and really there was no issue ????? Lmao, what a complete waste of time and it is true...... there is no substitute for ........... but then maybe there is another member out there with the same problem you had and he was to afraid to post it..... thank you for answering this perplexing issue
So my original issue was very much like I saw in the other picture posted on FB, that being the large bevel reveal on the tires rim. It had nothing to do with anything other than that bevel which appears out of the norm on all other tires I've seen mounted till I found the one on the Michelin site. Some here want to make a big issue out of things. It's good to know that there are some here that are so much smarter that they feel a wise *** remark needs to accompany their response.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:48 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Yup, you saw the bevel only. The rest of the forum saw the poorly mounted tire. You chose a poor example photo, sh*t happens. The original owner of the photo you lifted even confirmed the tire size was wrong in HIS photo. So yeah, the forum was right about the photo and you were wrong. Actually you were wrong twice - wrong photo and insulting the community for correctly calling the problem in the photo.

I'm not justifying the insulting comments back to you, but certainly you must see why people "want there money back" on this thread?
Old 05-28-2017, 08:57 PM
911Finally
Instructor

Originally Posted by semicycler
Yup, you saw the bevel only. The rest of the forum saw the poorly mounted tire. You chose a poor example photo, sh*t happens. The original owner of the photo you lifted even confirmed the tire size was wrong in HIS photo. So yeah, the forum was right about the photo and you were wrong. Actually you were wrong twice - wrong photo and insulting the community for correctly calling the problem in the photo.

I'm not justifying the insulting comments back to you, but certainly you must see why people "want there money back" on this thread?
Well next time I'll run my question by a review board first to see if it's worthy of posting. I didn't think by stating that those who said the tire was mounted incorrectly were wrong was "insulting the community" but I guess some get offended easily. Certainly didn't think it warranted some of the comments thrust at me. I've had my fair share of following threads that went nowhere as well. Didn't feel the need to make the person who posted it feel like an idiot. I guess nothing more to say. Those who still want to throw barbs, go ahead.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:46 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Tough night at the Apollo aka Renn's
Old 05-28-2017, 10:54 PM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Flamethrowers down boys and girls, it's just a forum not real life and death. Some people need to review the Forum Guidelines and some people need to stop being so self-rightous and judgemental. Chill.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:18 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911Finally
Wow, what DOUCHE BAG! I guess some Porsche owners ARE ********!
You are correct, some are. But, admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. So, good for you.

Now, lighten up, Francis.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:31 PM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

OK, I took my car back to Discount Tire. They removed the left rear which appeared to have the greatest rim gap and spun it on the machine in the vertical position and there was no observed wobble. They assured me they are mounted correctly on my champion 20 " wheels even though the fronts are more flush with less rim gap. I'm not satisfied with how the Pirelli P zero neros look so I'm investigating Michelin Pilot 4s and Bridgestone s04.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:33 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Bomar, every wheel is going to have a range of acceptable tread widths that work with it. On a tire with a rimguard profile, a tread width at the low end of the wheel's range is going to have a wider gap between the tire and wheel rim. In your case, is it possible that a wider tread width on the same tire brand would make the rears look as good as the fronts?
Old 06-02-2017, 03:41 PM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

Yes, the Michelin Pilot Super Sports I had on ( before I had a flat on the freeway that ruined one of the fronts) had a much better Flush fit (bead to rim) and a better/more pronounced rim strip to protect the wheel from curb rash, even though the two brands are exactly the same size. So I'm not so fond of the replacement Pirellis. I could not find Michelin 4s nor Bridgestone Potenza s04 in those sizes. Tirerack still has some Michelin pss on closeout but they no longer produce the fronts in 235/30 ZR20 (they do have a slightly different size for the fronts but I don't recall the numbers right now. 20" wheels really narrows the choices. I'm not getting rid of the wheels so if someone has a suggestion let me know. I'm running 235/30 ZR20 front and 305/25 ZR20 rear.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:13 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Originally Posted by Bomar Shelby
Yes, the Michelin Pilot Super Sports I had on ( before I had a flat on the freeway that ruined one of the fronts) had a much better Flush fit (bead to rim) and a better/more pronounced rim strip to protect the wheel from curb rash, even though the two brands are exactly the same size. So I'm not so fond of the replacement Pirellis. I could not find Michelin 4s nor Bridgestone Potenza s04 in those sizes. Tirerack still has some Michelin pss on closeout but they no longer produce the fronts in 235/30 ZR20 (they do have a slightly different size for the fronts but I don't recall the numbers right now. 20" wheels really narrows the choices. I'm not getting rid of the wheels so if someone has a suggestion let me know. I'm running 235/30 ZR20 front and 305/25 ZR20 rear.
I run Nitto Invos on all my p-cars for which they make the right sizes (997, 928, 914). Great handling, good wet weather performance, and great value.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:33 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I have the same issue with my 20 inch Champions and the Pirelli Pzeroneros I just went to after switching from Michelins. My fronts have the rimguard fairly flush with minimal gap but my 305 rears have the same large gap as 911finally is reporting. WTH is going on here?
I'm running 235/30 ZR20 front and 305/25 ZR20 rear.
What are your wheel widths, front and back? I'd like to check the tire sizes are proper for your widths. It's possible the rear tires are undersized for your rear wheels causing a stretched look and a gap.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:57 PM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

Thanks semicycler, unsure of wheel sizes as they were on the car when I bought it. Rears appear to be 12.5 or 13 inches wide. The Michelins in the same tire size just fit better. Petza 914 suggested Nitto Invos and they definitely do come in the sizes I am currently using and they are considerably less expensive than Mich and Bstones.

Quick Reply: Maybe a silly tire question?