Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I found it. Help me make it happen :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 07:47 AM
ScootsS
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I think I found it. Help me make it happen :)

I've been on the hunt for a 997.2S manual cab (non black/silver exterior non black interior) for almost a year and I think I finally found the one.

2009 w 10k miles for $60k. Car looks great, garage kept, but I haven't seen it in person yet. The car is well optioned but doesn't have sport chrono.

Based on what I have seen, the price seems somewhere between good and great. What do the experts think?

On to the main question...

i live in the northeast and the car is in the south. I happen to be going near the vicinity of the car (3 hrs away) for the next week. My plan is to arrange for a PPI asap, before I see it, and if that comes back positive go visit the car with a check, ready to drive it away that day.

Does that seem reasonable and feasible? Do I need to give the seller a deposit before or after the PPI? I obviously want to be safe, but I also realize there's very few cars out there that have what I'm looking for. I've never purchased from a private seller before, let alone one thousands of miles away, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 05-13-2017, 09:39 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

With dealers hold the car with a nominal refundable deposit, then schedule the PPI. You don't want the car sold out from under you while you are planning and paying for your inspections.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:10 AM
Cbst09
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I would give a deposit to secure the deal. If it is a private seller a good faith deposit of a couple hundred bucks should suffice. Good luck with your purchase
Old 05-13-2017, 10:58 AM
ScootsS
Advanced

Thanks guys. Regarding the PPI, since I'm far away, is it reasonable to ask the seller to take it to the shop? Or does that put him in the middle and reduce my likelihood of getting a fair assessment?
Old 05-13-2017, 11:24 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Some people do that. I didn't feel comfortable with it when I bought my car. It was far away, so I put a deposit on it, made arrangements to purchase it, then went there the day of.. took it for a PPI myself, then back to the dealership and completed the deal. Then the long drive home.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:46 AM
Blaine 997
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your going to be in the area where the car is down south (the three hour away location), I would get the seller a deposit ASAP. Then I would schedule the PPI ahead of time and do the PPI in person. If the car is good, you are right there to complete the purchase. It's always best to see it in person if at all possible.

I'm in the northeast as well. I never even sat in a 997 and bought my car in Florida this past November from a dealer with a PPI from a different Porsche dealer. I took a risk but the car was exactly what I wanted and was selling for 996 money. I got lucky that the PPI was correct and the condition of the car was better than I expected for the cost.

It would have been less stressful to do it in person, but work/family/cost kept me from flying around the country kicking tires.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:50 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 960 Posts

I bought my 996 C4S from a private seller in another state. I mailed a $500 deposit, as I recall. He took the car to a shop that I picked for a PPI, and we finalized the price after the PPI came back. It was easy. I called the shop to make sure that they understood that they were working for me, and not the seller when they performed the PPI.

One thing you'll need to consider before you buy the car is how the sales tax and license plates will be handled. I bought my car in California, and plates stay on the car in California. This is different than Colorado, where the plates stay with the owner. I drove the car home with the California plates in place, had it titled in my home state and paid sales tax in my home state.

Finally, think about how you plan to perform the financial transaction. The seller of my car was a lawyer, and he prepared a simple, one page sales contract that we both signed. You might consider having something prepared. The seller and I had a bank account at the same bank, so we went to a local branch together and I transferred the funds to his account. It was simple.

Good luck!
Old 05-13-2017, 11:53 AM
ScootsS
Advanced

Thanks guys. This is very helpful. I'm ready to get a deposit over to him!

Any other tips are definitely appreciated. (Great point about the contract Dennis C- thanks)
Old 05-13-2017, 11:55 AM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I retrofitted Sport and Sport Plus on my car as PDK without it is not so great. It takes all of 5 minutes for the dealer to enter the necessary codes and switch that panel. Costs about 1000 US$.

L
Old 05-13-2017, 12:05 PM
ScootsS
Advanced

Thanks Cool Flash. This one is a stick
Old 05-13-2017, 03:47 PM
ScootsS
Advanced

Looks like this will happen!

I'm meeting the seller halfway tomorrow (1.5 hrs away) for my own walk-around and test drive. If that looks positive, I'll leave a small deposit. He'll then take it for the PPI at a place of my choosing.* . I'll then send the balance and have it shipped to me.

Regarding PPI, he is recommending Champion in Florida. Does anyone have experience w/ doing a PPI there? Or does anyone have a suggestion for an independent shop near Boca?

Lastly, what's the order of operations for me getting him the check and then having the car picked up? Is there an option to have the transporter driver deliver payment?

thanks! so close!
Old 05-14-2017, 10:34 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,722 Likes on 4,275 Posts

Originally Posted by ScootsS

I'm meeting the seller halfway tomorrow (1.5 hrs away) for my own walk-around and test drive. If that looks positive, I'll leave a small deposit. He'll then take it for the PPI at a place of my choosing.* . I'll then send the balance and have it shipped to me.

Regarding PPI, he is recommending Champion in Florida. Does anyone have experience w/ doing a PPI there? Or does anyone have a suggestion for an independent shop near Boca?

Lastly, what's the order of operations for me getting him the check and then having the car picked up? Is there an option to have the transporter driver deliver payment?

thanks! so close!
Champion is a fine dealership and at one time was the largest Porsche dealership in the Country - not sure if they still are. They also have a Motorsports group that works out of a separate location. You should be good and good luck.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:07 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

[quote=ScootsS] Regarding PPI, he is recommending Champion in Florida. Does anyone have experience w/ doing a PPI there? Or does anyone have a suggestion for an independent shop near Boca?
/quote]

I had a PPI done at the champion dealership about five years ago. Run of the mill Porsche inspection like you get when you bring your car in for service. Car checked out well overall, no major issues.

You may want to consider an independent shop for a more in-depth PPI. Foreign affairs foreignaffairsmotorsports.com is in the same area. They're family owned and very active in our PCA region. Not sure if they do PPIs but worth asking.

Good luck!
Old 05-14-2017, 11:14 PM
hot nikon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScootsS

thanks! so close!

Try Champion Motorsports, not the dealership with which they are affiliated..

Ask for Tom Pelov.

If they do PPIs, they would be my 1st choice.

Are they qualified?

Last time I was there, they had 4 late model TTs laying around, a GT3 in the air, so yeah, they can do your PPI.

Good Luck.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:21 PM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

Good luck.
I bought mine by phone/email etc. had a PPI done at a local P dealer and got a great car. I flew one way with a big check, and drove home 650 miles that day.
I hope you have the same positive experience.

Quick Reply: I think I found it. Help me make it happen :)