Sponsored by:

Help: exhaust tips alignment issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 09:12 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Type_LT
I'm not sure if this has been your car since day 1 but if I came across a tip that looked like that I'd say someone backed into something.
^^^^^^ or he backed into a tall curb or something
Old 04-24-2017, 09:38 AM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 137 Posts

From my experience, they can be moved around a fair amount and they will stay where you put them as you tighten the bolts. There is more to this than just having them "look the same" on either side. From what I see, neither side is as high as it should be. There are pics and specs for position in the openings in the workshop manual that was posted here in the last few months. Still can't lay hands on it. Measured mine and the outside pipe should be vertically 15 mm from the inside of the black trim piece in the bumper. Laying a straight edge on the beveled end, the tips should just about be even with the top of the black trim. Hope that helps.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:33 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,729 Likes on 4,281 Posts

They actually both look a little low, so I'm on the mounts bandwagon. If it's an equal on both sides look you're concerned about, you could adjust the passenger side best you can for levelness and alignment, then adjust the driver's side a bit lower to match.

The RSS mounts are great though and help to tame that heavy pendulum swinging around the back (engine). They do create a slight bit of NVH or resonance around 3,000 RPM but the trade-off is worth it and after the first few drives you won't notice it again.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:49 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

thank you all for the valuable input. I am the 2nd owner, car has 45k miles. Today i took the bumper off and inspected. Everything looks ok. So if its sagging (evenly on both sides) it could be the mounts.

Last edited by Presto; 11-07-2017 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:09 AM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cool, glad you figured it out.

Those are some tough tips! Surprised it didn't put a dent in them first before bending the exhaust.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:16 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Just an update, I measured the tips on both sides as per the below Porsche service manual diagram

The X number for me is 27mm and Y is 30 mm on each side. Left and right sides are almost the same give or take 2mm.
Z is about 25mm

If its the mounts it would mean the mounts are sagging exactly the same on each side
Old 11-08-2017, 01:06 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

There is play on the hangar bolts, and the centre muffler or x over pipes if there has been any mods. Your z is out by 10- 12 mm. You need better pictures for any help.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:05 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine looks tucked in exactly like that on the same side, except with the Carrera 2 tips - which led me to your post. Not sure how long it's been that way or what made me notice it, but yep - just like that. No sign of scrapes or any indication that I backed into something (and forgot about it) or that someone else bumped into me in a parking lot - seems too low for that anyway. They both are level and even from the ground - I'll check the service dimensions later.

I reckon I'll try to adjust it or get my service guy to look at it next time I'm there.

Originally Posted by Presto
As you can see from the pics attached, the passenger side exhaust tip is not straight.
I have seen the threads with motor mounts as suspect but the passenger side one is not hanging lower than driver side. its more of a horizontal alignment issue.
I have not yet taken the bumper off to check the muffler hangars/bolts.

Car has the PSE

any suggestions?

top view, passenger side seems off

Quick Reply: Help: exhaust tips alignment issue