Sponsored by:

Help: exhaust tips alignment issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 11:01 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts
Question Help: exhaust tips alignment issue

As you can see from the pics attached, the passenger side exhaust tip is not straight.
I have seen the threads with motor mounts as suspect but the passenger side one is not hanging lower than driver side. its more of a horizontal alignment issue.
I have not yet taken the bumper off to check the muffler hangars/bolts.

Car has the PSE

any suggestions?

top view, passenger side seems off

Last edited by Presto; 04-28-2017 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:12 AM
nismosd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motor mounts are easy to swap and inspect for sag. Need to narrow potential issue and that's where I would start.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:40 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It looks like its drooping down and outward. If motor mounts are good...... I dunno?
Old 04-23-2017, 12:05 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 173 Posts

Are you saying that after adjusting the tips (i.e. loosening the bolt and then manipulating the swivel/pivot angle) you cannot get the gap and alignment to match on both sides?

If yes; then it is almost certainly motor mounts.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:43 PM
Presto
Pro

Originally Posted by EMC2
Are you saying that after adjusting the tips (i.e. loosening the bolt and then manipulating the swivel/pivot angle) you cannot get the gap and alignment to match on both sides?

If yes; then it is almost certainly motor mounts.
yes i played around with tip adjustment with no luck.

I guess time to buy RSS motor mounts, though i was hoping the muffler would have some adjustment as well after removing the bumper and taking a look there next weekend
Old 04-23-2017, 12:55 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

I know of no adjustment you can make on the muffler mounting that will change anything significantly. Were you able to completely remove the tips?? I initially thought mine would not move much until I removed them and cleaned up accumulated corrosion, soot and road debris. You should have a pretty wide range of movement on them. I agree with others input though that you likely need mounts. Someone posted the install specs for these sometime back that I used to correctly position the tips in the rear facia opening after replacing the motor mounts. I searched but can not find it. Maybe someone who recalls that post will help out.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:00 PM
jdgamble
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Is this car new to you? Did you get your plugs changed recently? I got mine replaced, and had to replace some exhaust bolts. This slightly affected my tip alignment. I didn't even notice when I got the car back, and now it's kinda bugging me. So that's a possibility.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:48 PM
Presto
Pro

Originally Posted by jdgamble
Is this car new to you? Did you get your plugs changed recently? I got mine replaced, and had to replace some exhaust bolts. This slightly affected my tip alignment. I didn't even notice when I got the car back, and now it's kinda bugging me. So that's a possibility.
yes its new to me. No plugs changed recently.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:50 PM
Presto
Pro

Originally Posted by eagle1960
I know of no adjustment you can make on the muffler mounting that will change anything significantly. Were you able to completely remove the tips?? I initially thought mine would not move much until I removed them and cleaned up accumulated corrosion, soot and road debris. You should have a pretty wide range of movement on them. I agree with others input though that you likely need mounts. Someone posted the install specs for these sometime back that I used to correctly position the tips in the rear facia opening after replacing the motor mounts. I searched but can not find it. Maybe someone who recalls that post will help out.
yes i removed the tips completely and tried adjusting them which made them sit a lot better but not perfect.

Last edited by Presto; 04-28-2017 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:48 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 198 Posts

I'm just spit ballin' here, but if you're trying to isolate the issue of the motor mounts, then why not eliminate any reference to the tips entirely by simply measuring the distance from the ground to the bottom of the exhaust tip fitting from the muffler side on the right and left sides? If those heights are unequal, then it must be the motor mounts ..... or am I missing something
Old 04-23-2017, 06:29 PM
dannysf
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't seem like the motor mounts would affect the angle. It just seems way off, whereas motor mounts would just cause it to sag and be lower. Doesn't seem like it is the tips either because the tips would naturally want to just move to the angle of the tail pipe as you tighten it. Perhaps some of the cat or muffler piping is not bolted on correctly, causing the tail pipes to actually come out at the wrong angle. Taking it to a muffler shop and getting it on a lift would be best to see what exactly is going on.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:07 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

If its not a stock exhaust that could be the issue
Old 04-24-2017, 12:10 AM
Presto
Pro

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
I'm just spit ballin' here, but if you're trying to isolate the issue of the motor mounts, then why not eliminate any reference to the tips entirely by simply measuring the distance from the ground to the bottom of the exhaust tip fitting from the muffler side on the right and left sides? If those heights are unequal, then it must be the motor mounts ..... or am I missing something
The tip height left vs right is just off my 2mm which is why I didn't think it was the motor mount as all posts I've seen here there is a bigger drop between left and right pipes if it's motor mounts.

The pic I have taken from top of bumper shows the right side pipe does not come out straight from the bumper almost like as if the pipe is bent and coming out at an angle. Il take th bumper off and inspect everything first before buying new mounts.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:02 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Has there been any exhaust mods done? How many miles on the car? Take a pic from the bottom
Old 04-24-2017, 03:03 AM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not sure if this has been your car since day 1 but if I came across a tip that looked like that I'd say someone backed into something.

If x is along the back of the car, y isfrom rear to front and z is the vertical axis, it looks like the rear of your tips are rotated about 10 degrees counter clockwise around the z axis. Have you tried loosening the bolt holding the tips and giving a gentle tap with a rubber mallet on the inboard part of the tip (to try and rotate it in and therefore rotate the outer tip away from the body).

Every picture from underneath I've found (such as this) make it look like they can rotate a bit.

Quick Reply: Help: exhaust tips alignment issue