Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went down the audio rabbithole. Please send rescue.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 01:06 AM
rootwyrm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Went down the audio rabbithole. Please send rescue.

So I went "I know what I like, I know it should be possible" and, uh, yeah. Wow. And I thought fighting GM's godawful IntelliLink crap was a maze. (Seriously. Whoever put the HVAC in the HMI is a masochistic bastard.)

I mean, I know what I WANT, because I really want to retain the steering wheel controls I held out for. The catch is that the car is not equipped with the 870 UMI. Has 686 (Sirius XM) but not 870. No big, this is NOT an expensive set of parts... except I can't find the dang parts. I can find the Y-cables but not the factory option kit part number. So what the heck parts do I need to order from my friendly Porsche dealer to do the job? Or is PKPCM3AUDIO over at Suncoast the complete OE kit?

Part two of that is: how difficult is it to install? Toss the PIWIS stuff aside, I'm talking strictly mechanical. Are there any incompatibilities I need to worry about when it's NAV + XM + full leather equipped? I don't care about XM but I don't want to deal with taking it out either.

Which brings us to part three: UMI has been installed. Great. There's about five hundred pages of people talking about various A2DP options, all of which appear to be discontinued with a vengeance. Is there a current A2DP option for Android 8.0+ that will actually work with the steering wheel controls? (Look. Seriously. I held out for those for a reason. I am decidedly not willing to give them up.) I'm trying to avoid option B here because that means I need a modified earlier generation iPod.

That modified iPod brings us to item four: at what point does the PCM3.0 choke on your library because "oh god too big"? I am one of those people that always has music playing, and my music library is measured in many terabytes. My 'travel' collection is close to 75,000 tracks. Press 'shuffle all' and away we go. I couldn't find any information on what size library would cause the PCM to choke on it. Anyone know?
Old 07-31-2018, 05:09 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

Name:  photo28.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  268.8 KB
Old 07-31-2018, 05:10 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Is that what you are looking for?
Old 07-31-2018, 09:34 AM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

I'm sure suncoast can chime in here, but that PKPCM3AUDIO is likely a pseudo part #. They do that a lot it seems, I'm not sure if its for inventory purposes, special kits, or to keep sales separate from Suncoast Motorsports and Suncoast Porsche. Which are two different things, but the same dealer. Have you tried emailing them to see if they will tell you what the kit consists of? They're usually pretty good at email responses.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:25 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,416 Likes on 859 Posts

2009 C2S

I don;t have information on maxing out an iPod, but I do have experienced the limits on a USB stick, and given that the PCM 3 loads in directory information, it probably is similar in limits. The bigger the catalog, the slower the load and seek functions.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...b-drive-2.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...b-drive-2.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-31-2018, 12:13 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I've definitely noticed slow loading when I use a 16GB usb disk full of music (tried different ones).. never much wanted to make changes to the PCM 3.0 in my car. I hate it, but have been loathe to do anything about it. Been able to ignore since the 911 isn't a daily driver anymore. But I'm going through the song and dance with PCM 3.0 on 987.2 S daily driver... decided to just change it all and move into the 21st century rather than upgrade a component here and there. If it goes well I'll eventually do the same to the 911.

Will be interested to here what OP comes up with as a solution.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:59 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,416 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
I've definitely noticed slow loading when I use a 16GB usb disk full of music (tried different ones).. never much wanted to make changes to the PCM 3.0 in my car. I hate it, but have been loathe to do anything about it. Been able to ignore since the 911 isn't a daily driver anymore. But I'm going through the song and dance with PCM 3.0 on 987.2 S daily driver... decided to just change it all and move into the 21st century rather than upgrade a component here and there. If it goes well I'll eventually do the same to the 911.

Will be interested to here what OP comes up with as a solution.
Not all after market units function better..... I had, temporarily, a Pioneer unit in the car and it played USB sticks in the order the songs were written to it... no alternative... unbelievably useless. So be careful. After this surprising experience, the PCM 3 is actually a darn good player for USB sticks, albeit slow.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-31-2018, 02:54 PM
rootwyrm
Instructor

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Is that what you are looking for?
That really is the question - is that PN really everything I need to install it, or is it missing bits besides the coding?

Originally Posted by Fined
I've definitely noticed slow loading when I use a 16GB usb disk full of music (tried different ones)..
... uh, yeah, I will definitely crash PCM3.0 then. Not "slow it down" but crash it. Add another 0 onto the end there and you're still not close to my typical carry. And it's sorted Artist\Album so, yeah, boom.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:48 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,165 Likes on 3,930 Posts

If you have PCM 3.0 with the multi interface, like I do in my 09 Cayenne, that already supports Bluetooth Calling, but not Bluetooth Audio Streaming, all you need is an M-Pow BT adapter. Plug the USB cable in to keep it charged, plug the headphone jack into the 3.5mm jack right next to it, pair it with your phone to the media streaming prototcol only, not the phone call profile, select AUX as the source on your PCM and you're done. You can stream music from your phone or other BT device to the PCM (Pandora, Waze, Media Library, etc) and phone calls will interrupt the music with excellent call quality.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:12 PM
rootwyrm
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petza914
If you have PCM 3.0 with the multi interface, like I do in my 09 Cayenne, that already supports Bluetooth Calling, but not Bluetooth Audio Streaming, all you need is an M-Pow BT adapter. Plug the USB cable in to keep it charged, plug the headphone jack into the 3.5mm jack right next to it, pair it with your phone to the media streaming prototcol only, not the phone call profile, select AUX as the source on your PCM and you're done.
Nope. This is absolutely not an option because it doesn't work with the steering wheel audio controls. It added months to my search holding out for them, so I'm not throwing them in the bin.

Did you know Spotify has a 10,000 track limit? I do. Did you know whatever Microsoft is calling Groove this week has a 75,000 track limit? I do. Did you know the maximum USB drive size for IntelliLink systems is 128GB and it chokes hard above 5,000 tracks? Found that one out too.
That's why I asked about the A2DP to iPod adapters. I am a music guy. My collection is not just comprehensive, but truly massive. And I always take as much as I can with me.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:36 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rootwyrm
Nope. This is absolutely not an option because it doesn't work with the steering wheel audio controls. It added months to my search holding out for them, so I'm not throwing them in the bin.

Did you know Spotify has a 10,000 track limit? I do. Did you know whatever Microsoft is calling Groove this week has a 75,000 track limit? I do. Did you know the maximum USB drive size for IntelliLink systems is 128GB and it chokes hard above 5,000 tracks? Found that one out too.
That's why I asked about the A2DP to iPod adapters. I am a music guy. My collection is not just comprehensive, but truly massive. And I always take as much as I can with me.
It works with the volume one, which is just about the only one I've used on my 997 or Cayenne with steering wheel controls. Not sure why you'd need to take 75,000 tracks with you in a car that sounds as good as ours do, but different strokes for different folks I guess. I can always find something to listen to on one of my 6 Pandora genre stations or stored on the 400 GB micro SD card in my phone - maybe the issue is you're using the wrong phone, which limits your storage for music. You can store about 240 tracks/GB so a 400 GB card in an Android phone would give you space for 96,000 tracks. If you leave 100GB of space on that card for photos or other apps, you'd still be able to store your whole collection in your phone, but as you said, that doesn't let you switch tracks and folders with the wheel buttons.

Not sure if the iPod/iPhone interface is different or not since I don't own a single Apple device. As a "music guy" I'm surprised you're even willing to stream via BT with the compression and audio resolution loss...

The Dension Kit I have in my 997 does allow the steering wheel controls to function with the BT interface (change tracks, see folders, etc), but I don't think it's compatible with PCM 3.0 (my 997 is a .1 with PCM 2)

Good luck with your search for a solution.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:00 PM
Bleu by you
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Different solution and I know it’s been mentioned, I-Simple Bluetooth. Load all the material you want on phone or tablet and functions beautifully with pcm. Phone hands free as well. Audio quality is fine. $200 installed at Best Buy.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:33 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

If you get that the UMI, the y cable, and a bovee 1000 you can a2dp stream and the steering wheel controls will work (if you have an Apple device). Not sure about android but i don't see why it would not.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:34 PM
rootwyrm
Instructor

It works with the volume one, which is just about the only one I've used on my 997 or Cayenne with steering wheel controls. Not sure why you'd need to take 75,000 tracks with you in a car that sounds as good as ours do, but different strokes for different folks I guess. I can always find something to listen to on one of my 6 Pandora genre stations or stored on the 400 GB micro SD card in my phone - maybe the issue is you're using the wrong phone, which limits your storage for music.
... uh, the SDXC specification is 64GB to 2TB. The only production 400GB is the SanDisk Ultra UHS-1, which is not fast enough for my use. I use a 256GB UHS-3, which is the largest UHS-3 you'll be able to get any time soon. Not to mention, trust me, I know more about phones than you do. I know a lot more about phones than I want to know. The only reason I'm at all considering the possibility is because it's easier than dealing with an old iPod. (Marginally. Modern smart phones are some of the worst designed, most slapped together crap I have ever had to suffer.) And trust me, you do NOT want to try dealing with a 400GB SD card that has to have strong encryption and partitioning. Even a UHS-3 is infuriatingly slow at it's fastest. And I very much don't have a choice. That's why I actually have a 128GB USB thumb drive in the daily right now.
My other two cars have modified Zunes (both Wolfson) integrated, because they predate bluetooth and I have a rule about taking calls in them. (Namely: I don't.) Why Zune? A) Better software, B) I can load and unload tracks over WiFi. Seriously underappreciated feature that everything should be required to have by law. But that's not an option here because I'm not doing the equivalent of cutting and pasting switch connections and analog outputs into a fully analog system that the cassette system couldn't be rebuilt on. (Plus, where am I gonna shock mount the 750GB 3.5" IDE disk?) B)

You can store about 240 tracks/GB so a 400 GB card in an Android phone would give you space for 96,000 tracks. If you leave 100GB of space on that card for photos or other apps, you'd still be able to store your whole collection in your phone, but as you said, that doesn't let you switch tracks and folders with the wheel buttons.
It gives room for 96,000 low resolution tracks, roughly. Which means you're not actually grasping the magnitude of my library and why I don't like having to use garbage software and manual syncing for portables. That's why I've tried and given up on a long list of 'successors' including the HiFiMAN 901, iBasso DX, and Astell&Kern SR15.
My music library currently lives on a 12TB dedicated NAS. Which is running out of space again. Back when Zune Social was a thing, I had more than 500,000 tracks listened to. The only time I am not listening to music is when I'm talking on the phone.

Not sure if the iPod/iPhone interface is different or not since I don't own a single Apple device. As a "music guy" I'm surprised you're even willing to stream via BT with the compression and audio resolution loss...
It's all about the control interface. Apple is all about maximum use of proprietary crap that they will then deliberately obsolete to force you to upgrade. iPod 30 pin is a whole thing where you have to pay Apple through the nose to so much as make a charger, forget transfer data or perform basic control operations. But once you're digital to digital, it's all 1's and 0's anyways. And since it'd be dedicated to the car, the DAC driving the 3.5mm is irrelevant.
Something too many people fail to understand is that the limiting factor in car audio is car audio itself. Substantial compromises have to be made no matter what. $5000 of car audio is never going to sound as good as $5000 of home hi-fi gear, even with the engine off. If you can tell the difference between 44.1kHz/16 and 48kHz/24 in a car? One, no you can't. Two, you are not paying sufficient attention to be allowed to operate a car. A decent BT interface should be largely free of significant artifacting, and you're not going to tell the difference between compressed and uncompressed anyway until you get in seriously lossy source compression.
Simply put, for me, it's all about being able to have Stevie Nicks and then decide I'd rather listen to Stevie Ray Vaughn, but this road feels more like Stevie Wonder. Basically, the only two controls that I use are volume and next/prev track. And I use next/prev a lot more than volume.

The Dension Kit I have in my 997 does allow the steering wheel controls to function with the BT interface (change tracks, see folders, etc), but I don't think it's compatible with PCM 3.0 (my 997 is a .1 with PCM 2)

Good luck with your search for a solution.
"Denison Kit" <googles furiously> Arrrrrrgh. So close. Depends how you tie it into the MOST bus and how it's talking. (It looks like they're using the CD changer logical input and xlating ID3 to CD-Text. It's a pretty smart hack.) All the reports are that the Bovee stuff doesn't work with current Android or is buggy as hell. So at this point it's look like I'm going to get screwed by the iTax(TM).
Ah well, on the plus side, the iPod 5th gen is ZIF SATA, so I can rig it up with a 1TB SSD. And units with dead batteries are cheap. Just try and stop me, Apple.

So that leaves the question: how hard it is to actually install the factory part mechanically? Obviously it's gonna fit properly, but just how much has to be taken apart to do the installation?
Old 07-31-2018, 11:56 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

rootwyrm, you're right, you know a lot more about this stuff than I

You're correct on the Dension interface - one press of the CD button plays the single disc and a second changes to the BT streaming auxiliary input. If I had the front changer, I'm assuming a third press would cycle through that one too.

Quick Reply: Went down the audio rabbithole. Please send rescue.