Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How patient should I be...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 01:03 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I had a 996 and really wanted a 997.2. Put the 996 on Craigslist and 2 days after I posted it it sold, I thought it would take longer. Now I had a void being without my Porsche. All I wanted was a 997.2 PDK low miles and not a funky color, would obviously like certain colors but would forgo color for good mileage and price. I really wanted to buy from CarMax because of their warranty. CarMax had a low mileage PDK available in another city and bought it like a week later.

With depreciation and maintenance the 996 cost roughly $380 per month. I bought the 997.2 before I got engaged/married my now wife wanted to kill me at the time because she would have opted for a ring. But now I'm happily married and have my favorite car that I probably wouldn't have been allowed to get if I had been married
Old 03-19-2017, 01:53 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Well played, Austin. That's the way to do it!

If you happen to hear of any 997.1 coupes (2006+ either base or S) in Texas for a good deal please let me know. I'm up in Dallas and have a couple in mind but am on the hunt. Looking for <50ishK miles 6 spd.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:26 AM
william123
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took me 2 years...just found the heavily optioned model I've been looking for. However I was open to 3 exterior color options (white, GR and artic), settled on 3rd preference which is more common. Interior is black and terracotta which was a bonus and sold me on the artic. Enjoy the search, it's half the fun!
Old 03-22-2017, 10:35 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

You'll find it, and your options don't seem too demanding. Things like interior trim and seats can be changed, including the addition of heated seats. I believe the wiring harnesses behind the center console and that go to the seat connectors are the same in all the cars. To add heated seats to a non-heated seat car, you need to change the lower console panel to one with the heated seat buttons and purchase heated seats.

Here's my source list when I'm looking (some may no longer be valid or may not apply, but should give you some new places to look).
www.racperformance.com (TX)
www.formanmotorsport.com (AZ)
www.sloancars.com (NY)
www.truspeedmotorcars.com (CA)
www.willhoitenterprises.com (MO)
www.formula1miami.com (FL)
www.victorymotorcars.com (TX)
www.nwicars.com/showroom.htm (OR)
www.chicagomotorcars.com (IL)
www.rpmsportscars.com
www.mgmsl.com
www.themiamigarage.com (FL)
www.starwoodmotors.com (TX)
www.premiersportscars.com (MO)
www.selectluxury.com (GA)
www.drivingemotions.com (FL)
www.rennlist.com
www.ecarlink.com (TX)
www.exoticclassics.com (NY)
www.pelicanparts.com
www.6speedonline.com
www.usimotors.com/porsche (TN)
www.lakenormanimports.com (NC)
www.foreigncarsitalia.com (NC)
www.ardemotorcars.com (TN)
www.musiccitymotorsports.com (TN)
www.globalmotorsportsinc.com/web/inventory (TN)
http://www.flemingsultimategarage.com/index.php (MD)
Old 03-24-2017, 09:07 PM
ScootsS
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I hadn't considered getting heated seats after the fact. Great idea. thanks!

Any idea roughly how much that would cost w/ parts & labor?
Old 03-24-2017, 09:22 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScootsS
I hadn't considered getting heated seats after the fact. Great idea. thanks!

Any idea roughly how much that would cost w/ parts & labor?
Not counting the cost of the seats since there ate many different options (regular at about $1,000-$1.200, manual adaptive at about $2,000 or power adaptive sport plus at $3,000-$3,500), the console panel piece from a dismantler like DC Automotive or LA Dismantlers is probably a couple hundred and then either a few hours DIY or dealer time, and then you may have to have the coding done to tell the car it has heated seats with a Durametric or at the dealer)
Old 03-24-2017, 09:24 PM
ScootsS
Advanced

Thanks for the super detailed response. I'll definitely keep it in mind.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:33 PM
ScootsS
Advanced

For those curious...I feel like I'm getting closer.

https://www.carmax.com/car/14350501

Stick, S, Convertible, Colors are good, heated seats, mileage is in the zone... but 3 owners already and the car just looks like it hasn't been loved. Winter mats = rain/snow/DD?

But it gives me hope
Old 03-30-2017, 10:57 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

I bought mine from Carmax. Good deal. They wash and vacuum but don't bother to do detailing. My balaslt black was swirled but I was able to hand polish and paint correct. So dont let the fact that it needs a good detail stop you. Once you drive away go it it checked over by a dealer for any fixes needed and they will pay to correct the items you you get your money back and they take it back. But cars there move fast. You can reserve it to check it out. Don't wait
Old 03-30-2017, 11:05 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

For those curious...I feel like I'm getting closer.

https://www.carmax.com/car/14350501

Stick, S, Convertible, Colors are good, heated seats, mileage is in the zone... but 3 owners already and the car just looks like it hasn't been loved. Winter mats = rain/snow/DD?

But it gives me hope
I like that two-tone interior as the black ties the color of the top in nicely. Looks like a damaged panel on the lower console between the PASM & Spoiler button, but I'm sure they'll correct that for you. Do you CarFax checking to see if it has been a Northern car, but otherwise as DC says, you can have it held for you and have a PPI done.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:09 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

They will not let you test drive it and get a PPI. But you get five days or so after you buy it to go to the dealer for the PPI and see what needs fixed. I got them to pay for manuals, leather case, stone guard, and cup holder after I bought it. Be sure to buy the Maxcare warranty
Old 03-30-2017, 11:16 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been on the hunt for a little while now, but haven't exactly found what I'm looking for, or even much that is close. How likely am I to find...

Musts:
- 997.2 S Convertible
- Manual
- Heated Seats (I'm in the northeast!)
- Not black or silver

Nice to haves:
- PSE
- Interior other than black

Is it too much to ask for!? ;-)

Thanks!
-S

Wow! Very close to the same criteria I used when I looked for my 08 turbo cab. The search took me about 3 months.

Black and silver colors represent about 85% of the 997's shipped to this country. So, looking for one of the other 15% of the cars with criteria like interior color and a manual tranny, your finds will be rare. But, do be patient. The right car will come along, especially now that Spring is here. Cars for sale are like houses for sale. Most folks wait for Spring to put them on sale.

One of the things that I found is that when the right car comes along, it will not last very long if the price is low. I chased down several cars that were sold the same day they came onto Rennlist. And, there are guys out there buying cars sight unseen, without a PPI, for cash.

The longer you look, the more focused will be your criteria, so that when the right car comes along, you should know the market well enough to move quickly.

My exterior and interior color requirements were the same as yours. In the end, I ended up with a midnight blue exterior over a natural leather interior. I've had the car about a month now and love the color combo.

So, do be patient; but, be ready to move quickly when you find the right car.
Old 02-17-2022, 06:42 PM
ScootsS
Advanced

Really late reply to my own post for posterity...

I started looked around October 2016. In early May '17 I found a Macadamia Nut Metallic in FL that met the spec. Happened to be going to Orlando that week (I'm in NY). Drove two hours to meet the seller half way. Signed and put down a deposit. He took the car for a PPI, all checked out, and it was shipped to me in June '17. So all said and done...around 9 months.

Still have it. Still love it. (and based on the current market, was a good time to buy!)

The following 3 users liked this post by ScootsS:
gutenfreibier (02-18-2022), sabotaged (02-28-2022), TommyV44 (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 08:13 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,845 Likes on 2,871 Posts

We've been waiting impatiently

Congrats on the car. - You in Westchester? Looks like it. I moved from Westchester to west coast 38 yrs ago.
Enjoy the car!

Old 02-28-2022, 06:33 AM
mascudkoray
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been on the hunt for a little while now, but haven't exactly found what I'm looking for, or even much that is close. How likely am I to find...

Musts:
- 997.2 S Convertible
- Manual
- Heated Seats (I'm in the northeast!)
- Not black or silver

Nice to haves:
- PSE
- Interior other than black

Is it too much to ask for!? ;-)
Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin
Thanks!
-S
The release of PDK seriously out a damper on the availability of manuals.

Quick Reply: How patient should I be...?