Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regret lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 11:26 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Who has had to use compensating rings to even car out?
Old 02-17-2017, 11:50 PM
thxrick
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EMC2- what a beautiful car! Great write up, thank you!
Old 02-18-2017, 07:56 AM
911's
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's mine on H&R springz, maybe you like
Old 02-18-2017, 09:09 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Has anyone experienced any long term problems with their PASM shocks as a result of lowering? My car has 47K on the clock, and I'm wondering if lowering springs will adversely effect their wear out.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:57 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Redhot2474
Who has had to use compensating rings to even car out?
From the factory, compensating plates are used on all cars as far as I know. It is just the size that differs (3mm vs 6.5mm).
The assembly guide from my Bilstein B6 shocks shows that they can be installed without the compensating plates. Note the bump stop is also excluded because the B6 has a built in bump stop).
See pic below (the part marked X is the support ring, and above it is the mount + bearing)

However there are a couple of things to consider when eliminating the compensating plate:
1) you have metal on metal contact (spring to steel support plate). This can give you more feel, but also may be considered as more harsh by some. The compensating ring is a very dense rubber and creates a bit of cushion between the spring and the support ring. It also helps the top of the spring fit more snug with no chance for it to move side to side because of the added rubber ring.

2) you may end up near the limit of drop for standard shocks. See below from Bilstein FAQ:

http://www.bilstein.com/sg/products/...-service/faqs/

"
Down to which lowering level can I go with BILSTEIN B6 sports shock absorbers (not shortened) in conjunction with shorter springs?

Down to 30mm. That is what is typically offered for new vehicles straight from the factory. Any lower and a shock absorber with a shortened stroke has to be fitted, so that the spring tension - which ensures the required distance between the car body and the wheel - is maintained, whatever the driving situation. Otherwise the spring may slip out of its fitting and the vehicle will abruptly go out of control.
"
http://www.bilstein.com/sg/products/...-service/faqs/

3) depending on what front lip you have, the absence of the compensating plate may lower the car too much in the front.

I ended up keeping the 6.5mm compensating plate on my front shocks as the height was good and the springs fitted more snugly onto the compensating ring than when just over the support ring.

Originally Posted by thxrick
EMC2- what a beautiful car! Great write up, thank you!
Thank you

Quick Reply: Regret lowering?