Sponsored by:

Question about lowering springs, stock shocks, and high mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 11:59 PM
drockzcity
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question about lowering springs, stock shocks, and high mileage

Was just curious for everyone here with their cars lowered on springs only and factory stock shocks. Any of you ever experience any issues with this combination running on higher mileage cars or any cars getting into higher mileage? Preferably asking those in the 80k-100k marks.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:54 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I have TechArt lowering springs and OEM shocks on 997.2 with 45k. Ride is excellent. Have read somewhere the lowering springs were designed to work with the OEM shocks - my experience leads me to believe this is true. I've had zero issue after putting approx 12k on this setup.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:15 PM
drockzcity
Instructor

jcsomerv- Thanks for the info.

Basically wanted to know how well the factory shocks would hold up with higher mileage and with lowering springs. Just thinking ahead about potential blown shocks or shocks wearing down faster with lowering springs compared to with factory springs.

I would assume as all cars it will be based off how the car is driven in total.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:04 AM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 173 Posts

I did the shocks (Bilstein B6) and TechArt springs at the same time as well as new shock mounts and and a few other bits all at the same time (all part numbers and details in my thread)

I had about 60k miles on the car and the damping and ride improvement was incredible.

Depending on your mileage I would strongly recommend doing the shocks at the same time as you'll save a lot in labor and alignment.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:33 AM
drockzcity
Instructor

Originally Posted by EMC2
I did the shocks (Bilstein B6) and TechArt springs at the same time as well as new shock mounts and and a few other bits all at the same time (all part numbers and details in my thread)

I had about 60k miles on the car and the damping and ride improvement was incredible.

Depending on your mileage I would strongly recommend doing the shocks at the same time as you'll save a lot in labor and alignment.
First off, your garage is freaking awesome!

I just looked over your thread and its great info. My only thing is part numbers and price would be different as my car is a C4S w/PASM. I've been searching around for pricing on the B6's and haven't found much. Any suggestions?
Old 02-20-2016, 05:30 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

At around 60,000 miles, I installed Techart springs with factory shocks. I know this may be hard to believe, but the ride was better than stock. It handled bumps smoother even though it had more road feel and the ride was way more comfortable without sacrificing handling. Certain bumps that I am familiar with didn't hit as hard or upset the shock as much as with the factory springs; however, a few thousand miles later, I started to hear a knock from the front at low speeds going over certain bumps. At first I thought it was the control arms or shock mounts. It wasn't. Everything was tight. It was the shocks. They were not leaking at all. They were simply worn. At around 65,000 miles, I followed EMC's lead (above) and replaced the shocks with Bilstein B6 shocks (also known as heavy duty). The knock was gone and that confirmed my suspicion that my shocks were worn. My first impression with Bilstein B6s is that the car handles way better. Better damping, better feel and a little firmer. The only con is that I find the ride slightly firmer...almost like the car was stock before I replaced the springs initially when I had the stock shocks. That said, I was expecting a slightly firmer ride and the shocks cost me significantly less than new OEM Porsche shocks. When I replaced the shocks, I also replaced the front shock mounts, the tie rod ends and the compensating plates. My front strut assemblies came with 3 mm compensation plates. I installed 6.5 mm compensating plates up front simply to raise the front slightly for slightly less of a rake looked. Barely perceptible, but I wanted the slightly larger 6.5 mm compensating plates and I am not scraping the small rubber piece in front of the front wheels anymore over familiar driveways. I would definitely change the shocks with anything over 50,000 miles on the shocks while replacing springs since you are already paying for the labor and shocks don't last forever anyway.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:39 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by drockzcity
First off, your garage is freaking awesome!

I just looked over your thread and its great info. My only thing is part numbers and price would be different as my car is a C4S w/PASM. I've been searching around for pricing on the B6's and haven't found much. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Here are the links for the PASM B6's

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/product/35-135869/315245/AWD
http://cart.bilsteinus.com/product/26-118260/315245/AWD

I bought my B6's here and prices were good at the time, but I don't see the PASM versions listed,

http://catalog.importrp.com/catalog-...cks-and-struts

Last edited by EMC2; 02-22-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:13 PM
drockzcity
Instructor

Originally Posted by awrryan
At around 60,000 miles, I installed Techart springs with factory shocks. I know this may be hard to believe, but the ride was better than stock. It handled bumps smoother even though it had more road feel and the ride was way more comfortable without sacrificing handling. Certain bumps that I am familiar with didn't hit as hard or upset the shock as much as with the factory springs; however, a few thousand miles later, I started to hear a knock from the front at low speeds going over certain bumps. At first I thought it was the control arms or shock mounts. It wasn't. Everything was tight. It was the shocks. They were not leaking at all. They were simply worn. At around 65,000 miles, I followed EMC's lead (above) and replaced the shocks with Bilstein B6 shocks (also known as heavy duty). The knock was gone and that confirmed my suspicion that my shocks were worn. My first impression with Bilstein B6s is that the car handles way better. Better damping, better feel and a little firmer. The only con is that I find the ride slightly firmer...almost like the car was stock before I replaced the springs initially when I had the stock shocks. That said, I was expecting a slightly firmer ride and the shocks cost me significantly less than new OEM Porsche shocks. When I replaced the shocks, I also replaced the front shock mounts, the tie rod ends and the compensating plates. My front strut assemblies came with 3 mm compensation plates. I installed 6.5 mm compensating plates up front simply to raise the front slightly for slightly less of a rake looked. Barely perceptible, but I wanted the slightly larger 6.5 mm compensating plates and I am not scraping the small rubber piece in front of the front wheels anymore over familiar driveways. I would definitely change the shocks with anything over 50,000 miles on the shocks while replacing springs since you are already paying for the labor and shocks don't last forever anyway.
Thanks for the input on mileage. It's exactly what I was looking for as far as stock suspension with added lowering springs.

Are the compensating plates necessary or just for a more evenly lowered look from front to back?
Old 02-21-2016, 09:14 PM
drockzcity
Instructor

Originally Posted by EMC2
Thanks.

Here are the links for the PASM B6's

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/product/35-135869/315245/AWD
http://cart.bilsteinus.com/product/26-118260/315245/AWD

I bough my B6's here and prices were good at the time, but I don't see the PASM versions listed,

http://catalog.importrp.com/catalog-...cks-and-struts
Thanks you! I couldn't find the correct part numbers for some reason. I'm actually going to call and find out if they still stock the PASM versions. Appreciate the help.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:00 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by drockzcity
Thanks for the input on mileage. It's exactly what I was looking for as far as stock suspension with added lowering springs.

Are the compensating plates necessary or just for a more evenly lowered look from front to back?
The compensating plates are part of every front shock assembly on the 997. some came with 3 mm compensating plates and others with 6.5 mm compensating plates. I have no idea how Porsche decides which cars get which compensating plates and whether it has anything to do with geographic regions, but it's a mandatory part. They are interchangeable, however.
The following users liked this post:
eddy_911 (12-25-2022)
Old 02-22-2016, 09:53 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I have 103 on the clock. Brutal roads where i live in Dallas, absolutely atrocious. I have to find alternative routes for my usual spots the roads are so damn bad. I do notice quite a bit of noise up front and the struts have to be thrashed by now. Visually the fronts look like they came off a WWII vehicle...BAD, like Brad Pitt's tank spitting and seeing fluids........

I'm not keen on dropping the car further as my 19" Ultraleggeras barely fit now. Is this the smart way to go? Bilstein HD F&R, leave the springs stock. what else needs doing while I'm in there? Would appreciate all input.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:08 PM
drockzcity
Instructor

awrryan -
Thanks. Ill double check and measure out the compensating plates and order accordingly.

ALEV8 -
From the consensus it seams like the way to go with Bilstein HD B6's if you're just daily driving the car. Other than that maybe check the Shock mounts or tie rod ends.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:18 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Going to do that. Buddy with a GT2 and a 993 Targa said to use those exact shocks and keep your springs if you don't want to lower that much, which I cannot here and this is my driver.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:22 AM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Received 278 Likes on 108 Posts

I installed H&R springs on my car at about 75k. Stock shocks. I have 81k on it now. Still rides great.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:51 PM
ruhroh
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ALEV8
I have 103 on the clock. Brutal roads where i live in Dallas, absolutely atrocious. I have to find alternative routes for my usual spots the roads are so damn bad. I do notice quite a bit of noise up front and the struts have to be thrashed by now. Visually the fronts look like they came off a WWII vehicle...BAD, like Brad Pitt's tank spitting and seeing fluids........

I'm not keen on dropping the car further as my 19" Ultraleggeras barely fit now. Is this the smart way to go? Bilstein HD F&R, leave the springs stock. what else needs doing while I'm in there? Would appreciate all input.
Would be curious to know what you end up settling on, I have the exact same problem as you. I have a 997 in Dallas, one of my struts has some weeping... wonder what kind of set up would be optimal w/ these terrible roads.

Quick Reply: Question about lowering springs, stock shocks, and high mileage