Sponsored by:

Pimple/Dents on the rear Quarter Panels

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 08:38 PM
Kurzheck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pimple/Dents on the rear Quarter Panels

When I purchased my '05 C2, I was aware that there was on odd "pimple" on the rear passenger quarter panel. Knowing my brother does interior restoration for the local Porsche dealer, I knew I'd be able to fix this with a local vendor that he recommended. Here's what it looked like:

Name:  2017-01-27%2014.51.03.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  75.9 KB

I figured that somewhere along the line, the rear wheel must've grabbed something on the road, slung into the wheel well and popped outwards. After looking inside, I could see it would be impossible, as the wheel well lining edge was below the affected area. I called the vendor, who does the service and retail work at the Porsche dealer that my brother recommended. He told me that he has seen these with a few 997's and he thinks that it's a build/design flaw with a spot weld for the wheel well liner/shroud that puts pressure on the metal it makes contact with and then over time, starts protruding, but that's just his theory and he doesn't know for sure, he just knows he has had this very issue on multiple occasions and was able to fix them. In any case, he fixed it and it came out great, and you can't even tell anything was ever there. The guy is an artist.

If you guys have come across this with your car, I highly recommend a good dent guy that does work for the local Porsche dealer. This vendor has seen the dealer have to take out the rear seats and interior panels to get to this area, and it's just not needed in most cases, not to mention the fortune in labor. I spent about $200 and it was done in about 1 1/2 hours (he also did a couple of small dings).
Old 02-03-2017, 09:08 PM
Mack73
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am just regurgitating but I remember reading (shopping for a 997 so reading everything I can find) someone say there are some parts related to the rear quarter windows which is hard to catch when taking the window out. They will fall inside and work their way down to this area and cause this.

Maybe I can dig it up

EDIT: found it. Rivets that need to be drilled out: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post13854842
The following users liked this post:
Floyd540 (12-22-2022)
Old 02-03-2017, 09:19 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

My car had one on each side. PDR guy took care of it. I've said this in other threads but in some cases it's actually rivets from the rear glass seal. it's riveted in place and rivets need to be drilled to replace the seal when the rear quarter needs a full respray or new paint. It's a good sign there was rear quarter damage. However, these seals were installed manually back in Stuttgart and sometimes old Hans would mess up and pop a rivet through the hole and it would wind up in the wheel well. Anyway, the rivets are drilled out in the case and likewise, fall into the crease where the wheel well and rear quarter meet.

They cant be pounded out because there's something inside that's pushing out.

There are a few access holes that can be used after removing the plastic wheel well liner. A PDR guy can get a tool in to push the rivet or other obstruction out of the way where it will fall down and can be picked up with a magnet. Then he does his PDR work.

I was too late and the clearcoat had cracked in that area so I had them paint both areas on both panels. Hope anyone who has these catches them early.

I've seen them on quite a few 997s. It's more common than one might think.

Another 997 nuance.
The following users liked this post:
ohmyggg (05-28-2021)
Old 02-03-2017, 09:22 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mack73
I am just regurgitating but I remember reading (shopping for a 997 so reading everything I can find) someone say there are some parts related to the rear quarter windows which is hard to catch when taking the window out. They will fall inside and work their way down to this area and cause this.

Maybe I can dig it up

EDIT: found it. Rivets that need to be drilled out: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post13854842
ha. Was writing my response when you posted. I've since heard from multiple sources that it was a problem with manually riveting the seals at the factory too. So it will not be a respray or accident in all cases. This was easily verified with mine with a paint meter. Same mil all around.
Old 12-21-2022, 01:52 PM
Sam Zamir
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurzheck
When I purchased my '05 C2, I was aware that there was on odd "pimple" on the rear passenger quarter panel. Knowing my brother does interior restoration for the local Porsche dealer, I knew I'd be able to fix this with a local vendor that he recommended. Here's what it looked like:

Attachment 1194704

I figured that somewhere along the line, the rear wheel must've grabbed something on the road, slung into the wheel well and popped outwards. After looking inside, I could see it would be impossible, as the wheel well lining edge was below the affected area. I called the vendor, who does the service and retail work at the Porsche dealer that my brother recommended. He told me that he has seen these with a few 997's and he thinks that it's a build/design flaw with a spot weld for the wheel well liner/shroud that puts pressure on the metal it makes contact with and then over time, starts protruding, but that's just his theory and he doesn't know for sure, he just knows he has had this very issue on multiple occasions and was able to fix them. In any case, he fixed it and it came out great, and you can't even tell anything was ever there. The guy is an artist.

If you guys have come across this with your car, I highly recommend a good dent guy that does work for the local Porsche dealer. This vendor has seen the dealer have to take out the rear seats and interior panels to get to this area, and it's just not needed in most cases, not to mention the fortune in labor. I spent about $200 and it was done in about 1 1/2 hours (he also did a couple of small dings).
This thread may be helpful to you. It discusses the problem and solution:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ward-dent.html
Old 12-22-2022, 02:28 PM
wroehr

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have this on my right side. I assume its because the car had minor damage reported to qtr panel, so maybe after qtr glass was removed for repair.
Old 12-22-2022, 03:17 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Wonder how many of these dings are possibly from snow chains?

Old 12-22-2022, 07:40 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

The cavity is hollow and sealed. The snow chain would have to not only dent the underside but push all the way through to the outside panel which is several inches.
Not really possible without other major damage to the area.
Old 12-23-2022, 04:13 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,106 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Wonder how many of these dings are possibly from snow chains?
Yeah as nwGTS mentioned, this is from rivets. The area in the rear wheel well is boxed off from the actual rear quarter that you can see. It's pretty well documented in the thread linked above.

Also, my previous 997 that had it was in ATL its entire life, so it's unlikely that car ever had snow chains. My car had a repaint on the rear quarter before the first owner picked it up, which meant the rear quarter glass window seal came out.
Old 12-23-2022, 04:28 PM
63mercedes
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

It's most likely some kind of damage that needed the seal replaced to be fixed. It's possible that the car has no damage and the seals are just old and needed replacing. I was thinking about doing mine as rubber don't last forever, let alone 18 years. Either way its fixable.

Quick Reply: Pimple/Dents on the rear Quarter Panels