Sponsored by:

Quarter window weatherstrip

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 11:24 PM
LonestarPorsche
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quarter window weatherstrip

I apologize if this has been covered at length, but I just can't seem to find the weather strip for sale on the interwebs. I have a 2005 911 base, and I need new weather stripping. I need the piece the runs from the door jam, all the way around the quarter window and ends at the side mirror. My car does not have the metal molding for some reason, so I guess I don't need to worry about that. Can anyone find me a link to the part that I need? I appreciate any help.

I may have found it. can anyone confirm if this is what I need?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...0WINDOW%20RAIL

Last edited by LonestarPorsche; 01-03-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:53 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you talking about the rubber strip inside the masking in the pic? What's wrong with yours? Is it torn and/or separating and/or leaking? Mine's an '05, sits out in the tropical sun every day, and the rubber was dull and if I ran my finger over it, black "dust" would come off. I applied Gummi Phlege and it looks and feels like new again. Lots cheaper and simpler than replacing it. (The masking was so I wouldn't have to clean it off the paint afterward.)

Also, the upper drip rail (over the door) on mine is rubber-clad metal, I treated it also, along with the inner door seals and the stripping around the rear window and windshield.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:06 PM
LonestarPorsche
Intermediate

Hey Ben, mine is way worse then yours. Mine is falling off the window, cant even clean it or it will completely brake off. I can hear wind going through it when I drive.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:58 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Just FYI those seals are riveted in around the rear window. You need to drill out the rivets in order to get the window out. There are about 14 per side if memory serves... maybe more. They WILL fall down into the body work and it is a PITA to fish them all out. If you don't fish them out they will either rattle around in the rear fender or at worst become lodged in the rear fender wheel lip and eventually protrude the metal like little zits.

Someone told me about this when i was looking for my car. It's an easy way to tell the car has had body work done as many people don't know this and it would be hard to tell otherwise. Taking the seals out makes for a better paint job for repairs. If i see 997s parked or at C&C I always look for them and do find the little bumps from time to time.
The following users liked this post:
ohmyggg (05-28-2021)
Old 01-03-2017, 05:47 PM
LonestarPorsche
Intermediate

^^^ This sounds like it will be a blast to fix.
Old 04-04-2021, 01:30 PM
misterdega
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 178 Posts

Hey OP, what ever happened with this?
Old 04-05-2021, 10:43 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Just FYI those seals are riveted in around the rear window. You need to drill out the rivets in order to get the window out. There are about 14 per side if memory serves... maybe more. They WILL fall down into the body work and it is a PITA to fish them all out. If you don't fish them out they will either rattle around in the rear fender or at worst become lodged in the rear fender wheel lip and eventually protrude the metal like little zits.

Someone told me about this when i was looking for my car. It's an easy way to tell the car has had body work done as many people don't know this and it would be hard to tell otherwise. Taking the seals out makes for a better paint job for repairs. If i see 997s parked or at C&C I always look for them and do find the little bumps from time to time.
Interesting. I’m not sure how those small drilled out rivets could cause dents after falling down into the panel. Just having a hard time visualizing it I guess. How to they get wedged up against the back side of the body panel with enough force to cause damage?

Also, sounds like a good opportunity for someone to come up with a more elegant repair solution as these cars all begin to age...
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (04-15-2021)

Quick Reply: Quarter window weatherstrip