Sponsored by:

Ignition Key Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 10:47 PM
TexPorsche
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition Key Stuck

Recently while doing some brake work I left the hood open and drained the battery. Long story short my key became stuck in the ignition. I charged the battery, key would not come out. Car starts and runs fine, except the only way to remove is to place a pin in the hole on the key mechanism.

Checked battery, voltage is fine. So I ordered a new ignition module from Pelican, 997-618-159-05. Pelican sends an update saying the part is no longer available and the new part is 99761815907 and it has to be programmed by Porsche at the dealer.

So here is my question, if I can source the old part 997-618-159-05 will that have to be programmed by Porsche. Btw, car is a 2005.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:33 PM
bonanzapilot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is an interesting, and slightly different problem. Google is full of Porsche owners working their way through the dead battery, hood won't open, key stuck problem. Check some of the posts out.
Most solutions are to open the fuse panel, use the puller to extract the red terminal, connect power,
and both the key and the hood are unstuck, and open. Sounds like a relay is stuck. You are going for the new key module, have you tried applying power from the fuse panel, as per the owner's manual procedure? Worth a try. There are also complicated procedures for syncronizing the ignition key, as when the key battery is bad. Research those, and go through the motions prior to the new part, dealer labor route.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:59 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bonanzapilot
That is an interesting, and slightly different problem. Google is full of Porsche owners working their way through the dead battery, hood won't open, key stuck problem. Check some of the posts out.
Most solutions are to open the fuse panel, use the puller to extract the red terminal, connect power,
and both the key and the hood are unstuck, and open. Sounds like a relay is stuck. You are going for the new key module, have you tried applying power from the fuse panel, as per the owner's manual procedure? Worth a try. There are also complicated procedures for syncronizing the ignition key, as when the key battery is bad. Research those, and go through the motions prior to the new part, dealer labor route.
Key battery has nothing to do with the transponder chip in the key fob. Take the remote battery out of the fob and remote stops working - key will still start the car.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:20 PM
TexPorsche
Instructor

So does anyone know if the old part requires a dealer to program. Pelican does not have it. I can get old part from a different source.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:23 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TexPorsche
So does anyone know if the old part requires a dealer to program. Pelican does not have it. I can get old part from a different source.
Unfortunately you're not the first to have experienced this. I searched "ignition key stuck" and got lots of hits (including yours).

Here's one the says no programming required.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ery-power.html
Old 02-01-2017, 08:56 PM
TexPorsche
Instructor

So I was able to source part 997 618 159 05. I installed it. Car started, ignition key comes out. All systems functioning as normal.

FYI, Pelican Parts who is an excellent source for parts did not have the part ending in 05, they had the part 99761815907, which they say has to go to the dealer to be programmed. Not sure if that is correct or not.

What I do know us the "older" part works.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:29 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by TexPorsche
So I was able to source part 997 618 159 05. I installed it. Car started, ignition key comes out. All systems functioning as normal.

FYI, Pelican Parts who is an excellent source for parts did not have the part ending in 05, they had the part 99761815907, which they say has to go to the dealer to be programmed. Not sure if that is correct or not.

What I do know us the "older" part works.
Nice job...... I just can't believe the newer part has to be programmed... that is really weird. My key started sticking in my '09 so I replaced it too... I can't find my receipt to see if I had the newer part.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-01-2017, 11:00 PM
TexPorsche
Instructor

Thanks Bruce. Just to be clear, I could not confirm if the newer part needs programming or not.

The part I purschased did not, and I think that would be the same for all cars.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:12 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 983 Posts

Somthing to think about....... note we both replaced our ignition switches.... but the key tumbler pattern did not matter. The new socket just worked....... Hmmmm....

My indy said the tumbler pattern was for the door lock only..... a straight blade would work in the ignition slot.... true? I dunno.

Now I gotta test this out.... I actually have some key blanks at home from buying the key blanks on eBay.... broke button tabs...... gonna give this a try tonight. Wow! A project!!!! Woooohooooo..... now I don;t have to tear out my B pillars just to "see what's in there". Whew.... Ah.... neurosis....my old friend.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-03-2017, 07:42 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Ah.... neurosis....my old friend.
We all benefit from your neurosis.
So don't be bad mouthing it ... nor try and change.
Please and Thank you !!!

Quick Reply: Ignition Key Stuck