Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMS & bore scoring = scared newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 03:52 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've said this before but it bears repeating...reading too much on Rennlist is like reading too much on WebMD. After a while you'll convince yourself you have cancer.

Drive it until the engine blows then LS swap it and listen to all the purists bitch and moan.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:12 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
^^
John,

The OP was concerned about IMS and Bore Scoring. Unfortunately in post No. 38 had his 997.2 bit by bore scoring and his warranty company is giving him the run-around.

I'm thinking one possible good option is to buy a ragged out, high mileage 997.1 at a low price and have the engine properly rebuilt.
I can concur that we are seeing more scoring issues with Gen 2 9A1 engines, similar to what we see in Cayenne and Panamera V8s.

Long drain intervals, high oil temperatures, crappy oil, and ethanol fuels all contribute to this.

We're now seeing shops that are rebuilding engines having the rebuilds fail because injectors are going bad and leaking and/or having poor fuel distribution. This wipes out the rings, contaminates the oil, and causes all kind of other problems. Fuel in the oil is bad for the cylinders. That's why engines from cold climates that have longer cold start intervals (Canada) have more cylinder scoring when the piston skirt coatings fail.

We are in the process of adding a mandate that new injectors are installed on all engines that we sleeve.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:01 PM
IrishLegend
Three Wheelin'

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

How much was that? I'm thinking of being proactive too.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:17 PM
Coolwnc
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by granprixweiss928
I had the scare too, when on a business trip and had too much time in my hotel room to read all the threads.

But my fright was justified, I came home and did a plug/coilpack change and did a bore scope and found scoring in all 6 cyl, with #6 being the worst.

If I had ignored the issue, and did what many say to do aka "just drive it and enjoy it" I may of ended up down the road in a worst place. To rebuild the engine and correct from a bore score situation, many key parts are needed to be reused. If I had ignored the warning signs and not found the issue, the internal damages would of led to complete block failure and far more expense down the road.

I also could of flipped the car at that time, but I am not comfortable with selling the car without passing on the knowledge of its engine. The financial loss was also not acceptable, to sell with engine failure known, and then be without a 911. So I elected to get mine fixed. The finanical loss is still there (due to the expense of the rebuild) but I end up with the car I want and with a better/fresh engine.
FYI- I am in the same boat and having my engine rebuilt as I type! The end result is I have a wonderful car with a new engine with several new upgrades! ....time for a bourbon and ginger!
Old 08-04-2020, 05:17 PM
FlatHat
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Clearly an issue and it appears that many are on the fence of 997.1 vs 997.2 because of both this and the IMS bearing...I think a portfolio approach to this is a prudent way to help quantify the risk. Eg: bore score affects x% of M97 engines x rebuild = discount...say it is 2% and a $20k rebuild, then your probability-adjusted risk is $400...use whatever numbers you think are realistic. This approach can help potential P-car owners decide if the 997.2 premium over the 997.1 is worth it...
The following users liked this post:
Doug H (08-04-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 02:47 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Bore scoring is becoming more prevelant as these things age and get miles on them. I purchased 4 996s new, albeit 3 were twin turbos, and on my fourth h 997, two turbos and 2 997.2s.

The M96 has always been a problem child. RMSs were going out like crazy in the early 2000s. The IMS is a bigger issue than some let on. My dealership just had another IMS failure a couple of weeks ago and silly to think you hear about most of them on the forums.

The vast majority of people I know with 911s have never heard of Rennlist or 6speedonline and don't care about or have time for forums.
Wasn't there a poll or at least a thread here some time ago asking for a best guess from those participating here what percentage of 997 owners post here or have even heard of Rennlist? I think 5% or less was the most common answer. Of course there's no way of ever knowing what the actual number is but I wouldn't be surprised if that's a pretty good guess.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:35 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,468 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatHat
Clearly an issue and it appears that many are on the fence of 997.1 vs 997.2 because of both this and the IMS bearing...I think a portfolio approach to this is a prudent way to help quantify the risk. Eg: bore score affects x% of M97 engines x rebuild = discount...say it is 2% and a $20k rebuild, then your probability-adjusted risk is $400...use whatever numbers you think are realistic. This approach can help potential P-car owners decide if the 997.2 premium over the 997.1 is worth it...
Completely agree with this thinking as it's classic risk management, not just on models but also on warranties. One has to evaluate the risk (both likelihood and consequence) versus the benefit. These boards tend to understandably focus more on the consequence as it's sensational, whereas likelihood isn't discussed all that much. Not many people would pay 25% of the cost of a grenaded engine for a warranty if it only had a 1% chance of happening. If it's 20% likely it starts to make more sense.

Not sure why this three year old thread was resurrected but I agree with Doug's comment above from 2017 that most P owners are not on these forums. Folks who post here tend to have an obsession with our cars (certainly I do) which definitely skews our outlook due to the emotional attachment. Not saying that's bad, just that normal people don't think all that much about IMS bearings, bore scoring, and PDK failures. We aren't a representative cross section of a typical Porsche owner.
FlatHat (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 01:27 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
Completely agree with this thinking as it's classic risk management, not just on models but also on warranties. One has to evaluate the risk (both likelihood and consequence) versus the benefit. These boards tend to understandably focus more on the consequence as it's sensational, whereas likelihood isn't discussed all that much. Not many people would pay 25% of the cost of a grenaded engine for a warranty if it only had a 1% chance of happening. If it's 20% likely it starts to make more sense.

Not sure why this three year old thread was resurrected but I agree with Doug's comment above from 2017 that most P owners are not on these forums. Folks who post here tend to have an obsession with our cars (certainly I do) which definitely skews our outlook due to the emotional attachment. Not saying that's bad, just that normal people don't think all that much about IMS bearings, bore scoring, and PDK failures. We aren't a representative cross section of a typical Porsche owner.
Come join us today at 1pm ET on YouTube...

PV997 (08-06-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 12:50 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,468 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Come join us today at 1pm ET on YouTube...

https://youtu.be/6ZgdaTmIcHo
Good video, thanks Jake. Seeing that Ferroprint piston coating flaking off at such low mileage on a well-maintained engine is a real concern. I wonder if time (as opposed to just miles) is factor in all of this since Ferroprint is a soft resin-based coating. Perhaps it dries out as it ages making it more susceptible to lifting. I wish Porsche was more forthcoming about all of this but they sure like their secrets. Baz thinks the 9A1 went back to a hard electroplated coating (probably Ferrotec) rather than the printed coating seen in the M96/97. Seems to make sense based on the evidence as the coating looks different on the newer pistons.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:28 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by PV997
Good video, thanks Jake. Seeing that Ferroprint piston coating flaking off at such low mileage on a well-maintained engine is a real concern. I wonder if time (as opposed to just miles) is factor in all of this since Ferroprint is a soft resin-based coating. Perhaps it dries out as it ages making it more susceptible to lifting. I wish Porsche was more forthcoming about all of this but they sure like their secrets. Baz thinks the 9A1 went back to a hard electroplated coating (probably Ferrotec) rather than the printed coating seen in the M96/97. Seems to make sense based on the evidence as the coating looks different on the newer pistons.
This is not limited to Porsche engines. Other engines of the era with similar technology employed have had the same issues. Most of them are not worth fixing, so they get no press. The car is thrown away, and no one even takes it apart. It comes back as a low cost car, made of recycled materials at a later date.

The Porsche is a different story. The cars are worth fixing, and the engines are worth developing fixes for.

Time certainly drives these failures, as the toll of extended oil service intervals take their toll, as well as modern fuels coupling with this.

There's a few reasons why bore scoring took off like a rocket in January of 2018, from all over N America, and it has stayed that way. Before this we saw around 10 engines per year with bore scoring as their decisive factor for coming to Flat 6. Today that number has exploded, and bore scoring is responsible for 80% of all the engines we see that have a failure.

Anyone who is concerned about bore scoring needs to follow the part 4 video in the "Focus on bore scoring" series and bore scope their own engine for 40 bucks, using a cheap tool from Amazon that attaches to your smart phone. Scope from the sump, and the spark plug holes.

No worries, that's fact over fear.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:52 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 678 Likes on 321 Posts

What are the reasons it took off so significantly in Jan 2018? I am very curious and value your opinion.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:28 PM
TYPE911
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by rtl5009
What are the reasons it took off so significantly in Jan 2018? I am very curious and value your opinion.
Flat-6 innovations marketing...?
Doug H (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 06:13 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPE911
I was thinking a lot of people started looking for it around that time as well and how many are rebuilding asymptotic scored engines.

Last edited by Doug H; 08-07-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:58 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TYPE911
I just love comments like this. You guys give me a lot more marketing credibility than I deserve for a high school grad that was a Special Ed scholar~

No, all the videos about these issues were released AFTER the "take- off" and they were launched to address the same questions that we were getting several times per week. No longer do we have to play 20 questions, and give the same answers to different people with the same issues, and the same symptoms. We did the videos so we could paste some links and say "go watch this".

As far as what was the driving factor, I have believe that changes in fuel over the last few years was a driving factor, as we note definite changes in the calls, and reports within a month or so after the switch from winter to summer blend fuels occurs, and then when they change back in winter.
We sent 4 proposals out for consideration today, of those 2 have confirmed bore scoring, one has supposed bore scoring (all the symptoms but no evaluation yet) and the 4th is elective.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:12 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I am curious why I have never heard of bore scoring on a 9A1 turbo motor... is it simply a matter of a very low sample size?

Quick Reply: IMS & bore scoring = scared newbie