Sponsored by:

Lloyd mat owners - help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 10:23 AM
Frogmella
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lloyd mat owners - help please

Would anyone with experience of Lloyds mats cast their eye over my recent purchase?

I recently ordered a mat to sit on the folded down rear seats it does not seem to fit correctly. They have sent a replacement but that has the same issue. I have measured my mat and it does not seem to be cut straight.

They are saying that maybe the plastic tab on the rear seat may have been fitted incorrectly at the factory hence the mat not fitting correctly. Happy to accept this verdict if it were not for the shoddy service of the retailer. They initially told me to cut the mat down to size which is a bit of a shame for a custom made mat....they also told me the temperature in the car will change the shape and make the mat fit........ staggering.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:45 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Odd. I've had nothing but good experiences with my Llyod custom mats. I don't have the rear mat like this one. But i just measured from the back shelf to the bottom of the handle with the rear seat folded down. It measures just shy of 12.75". So this mat would fit on my car.

My car is a 997.1 C2S. What year/model is yours? Perhaps there is a difference depending upon year?

If you are adventurous you can remove the Bose subwoofer easily. The plastic trim around the sound ports pops off with a plastic pry bar. Underneath is a single Torx bolt, T25 or T30 I don't remember exactly. Remove one side of the rear seat latch near the seat belt too (the metal post in your first picture). Then slide the bose subwoofer forward and disconnect the cable harness. Underneath is a pretty thick carpet piece covering the rear shock tops and ECU tray. I'm betting this carpet piece is not installed correctly and needs to be pushed back a bit. This is all completely a DIY project maybe a 2 out of 10 of the difficulty scale because you need the right Torx tools. Just take your time.

edit: another thought - the rear seats adjust their alignment at the attachment point near the windows. Another plastic cap, pop it off and there is a single bolt underneath. Don't remember if it's a normal 6-point, Torx, or double square. Mark it with a sharpie first, then loosen and make some adjustments. If it's pushed too far backwards the one side of the seat handle would be closer to the rear than the other side when folded flat. But the adjustment amount is minor compared to the overlap you show in picture 2. My money's still on the carpet piece under the Bose subwoofer being out of alignment.

Last edited by semicycler; 12-04-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:02 AM
Frogmella
6th Gear

Sorry I omitted my model number, it is a 2008 997.1 C2S.

The mats are fantastic quality and I have no issue with Lloyds, the issue has really been with the online reseller, their initial responses got my back up a little.

If my seating area is slightly out of spec then no problem. I guess whoever built my car back in Germany just had too many beers the night before!

Thank you for taking the time to measure your seat for me. Appreciated!
Old 12-04-2016, 11:05 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I dont get the pic of your seat, it looks like its wrong. take a pic of your complete rear seat
Old 12-04-2016, 11:07 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Ok, so a 997.1 like mine. I should have said coupe too, but it looks like yours is also coupe and not a targa.

If your rear shocks or springs were replaced during the car's lifetime then the rear carpet is removed as part of the process. Or if you had the ECU out for any reason. Or if you have an early model DSC control box - they originally mounted the 3-axis accelerometer near the ECU (now it's in an easier spot to access near the radio). The point is I suspect the car was assembled correctly from the factory, but either a prior owner or during a service visit in the past the carpet piece was out intentionally.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:28 AM
Frogmella
6th Gear

The car is new to me and with a fairly large mileage (97k) so would not be surprised if there has been some significant work done.

Thanks for the detailed feedback Semicycler, I am a Porsche neophyte so lots to learn!

OKB - Will send another photo asap.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:17 PM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I just measured mine and the dimension is the same as yours. I have to say, the fitment of the mat is tight between the handle and the back panel. I would assume semicycler is correct, something not installed correctly with your back panel or seats.

Last edited by Wolfk; 12-04-2016 at 01:13 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 12-04-2016, 06:39 PM
Frogmella
6th Gear

Thanks for all of the replies people. Looks like a Sunday afternoon of dismantling is required.

Cheers
Old 12-04-2016, 06:50 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I think the cut is too little and makes it too tight. force it in or send them back with pics and have them cut more out. or cut thee back side off more. fabrics are always made too tight and if you add a binding it takes up more room
Old 12-04-2016, 07:19 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

OP if you don't mind my asking, where did you get that mat from and how much was it? I got the Lloyd's Porsche-logo rear package shelf mat from Suncoast but they don't seem to have the one that covers the rear seatbacks.

Also, can you fold the seatbacks upright with the mat in place or do you need to remove it? Thanks!
Old 12-04-2016, 11:58 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Just a slight hijack here (sorry Frog). Does Lloyd still use the plastic clips to keep the floor mats in place? I bought a set some 5 years ago and ended up throwing them in the trash. The clips were too wimpy and the mats kept coming loose. Highly annoying. Can't remember where I bought them but I do remember that they offered zero support when I called about the problem.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:35 AM
MkC2S
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Just a slight hijack here (sorry Frog). Does Lloyd still use the plastic clips to keep the floor mats in place? I bought a set some 5 years ago and ended up throwing them in the trash. The clips were too wimpy and the mats kept coming loose. Highly annoying. Can't remember where I bought them but I do remember that they offered zero support when I called about the problem.
Yup, I'm too lazy to pop the seat rail cap to install the clips. It's a thick mat so it didn't slide that much or at all.
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2016, 01:44 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I bought Loyds for my 997, they were great
Old 12-05-2016, 02:47 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by MkC2S
Yup, I'm too lazy to pop the seat rail cap to install the clips. It's a thick mat so it didn't slide that much or at all.
Looks like the same old design so stay lazy and don't bother with those clips. See the little barbs at the end of the clip? That's the problem. They're not sturdy enough and come undone. My mat had slid about half way down the footwell at the end of the day. In retrospect I should have just ditched the clips and glued some welcro to the bottom of the mats instead of throwing them out.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:37 AM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Looks like the same old design so stay lazy and don't bother with those clips. See the little barbs at the end of the clip? That's the problem. They're not sturdy enough and come undone. My mat had slid about half way down the footwell at the end of the day. In retrospect I should have just ditched the clips and glued some welcro to the bottom of the mats instead of throwing them out.
I've had many sets of Lloyd Mats, and have extensive experience with these clips. Let me just say I know exactly what went wrong with yours. You simply installed those clips upside down. They look like they should go in that way, when in reality, they go in the exact opposite way. They fit VERY TIGHT to the carpet, when fitted correctly. And then when the female parts, which are sewn to the mats themselves, slip over these pronged clips, they lock down very securely.

I installed them incorrectly the first time. I was very frustrated too. I almost threw mine out. Then I flipped them over, forced them on, and suddenly they're rock solid. Hope that helps. I've installed and removed these close to ten different times now (don't ask), and I'm sure they work perfectly, when fitted correctly.

Lastly, slipping off the rail end covers takes maybe five seconds each. Absolutely worth the trouble.

Cheers.

OP, I also think the stops on the back of your seats are installed incorrectly. These mats are cut perfectly. I'm sure they didn't just mess up your one mat.

Quick Reply: Lloyd mat owners - help please