Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Sport PASM control

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 02:53 AM
Jacky
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally found enough time to install my newly delivered DSC today! It was a bit more effort than just scooting down the carpet as I needed to unscrew & free up some upper plastic covering to gain access room. But all went well w/the PASM box exchange and I was also able to do a short test run too. With normal mode selected (what I called "slow" mode), there was little noticeable difference. But then the short test in stiff mode (what I had called "GO" mode - as joke ;>)... easy comfort to ride around at low speeds and more aggressive response with added speed.
So I'll be selecting stiff mode for most of my street driving to see how that plays out on longer runs.
Of course with AutoX events coming up in a couple of weeks I'll really have a real opportunity to "GO!!" with the DSC unit in charge of my stock shocks. Until then I'll be posting some of my findings about daily driving over the local streets & freeways, many of which are in various states of disrepair / construction. Should be fun. And so far I'm very glad to have made the DSC upgrade.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:09 AM
DSC Sport
Former Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacky
Finally found enough time to install my newly delivered DSC today! It was a bit more effort than just scooting down the carpet as I needed to unscrew & free up some upper plastic covering to gain access room. But all went well w/the PASM box exchange and I was also able to do a short test run too. With normal mode selected (what I called "slow" mode), there was little noticeable difference. But then the short test in stiff mode (what I had called "GO" mode - as joke ;>)... easy comfort to ride around at low speeds and more aggressive response with added speed.
So I'll be selecting stiff mode for most of my street driving to see how that plays out on longer runs.
Of course with AutoX events coming up in a couple of weeks I'll really have a real opportunity to "GO!!" with the DSC unit in charge of my stock shocks. Until then I'll be posting some of my findings about daily driving over the local streets & freeways, many of which are in various states of disrepair / construction. Should be fun. And so far I'm very glad to have made the DSC upgrade.
Glad to hear you're enjoying the DSC Sport! We're more than happy to help if you ever have any questions, and you've got a great support community here on Rennlist as well!
Old 12-16-2016, 03:11 AM
Jacky
Intermediate

Had occasion to attend one AutoX and daily drive for a while now and must say that all the improvements are amazing. When I'm on the street I like to keep my car in Sport mode and the DSC in normal mode this combo is perfect. Before DSC install the PDK downshift into 1st was a bump & slight nose dive. Now with the DSC install I barely feel the PDK shifting. So smooth at slower speed and yet when I'm driving the highways there's both comfort and control.
The AutoX was at El Toro Marine airbase in Orange County so it was flat, smooth concrete. Chose to run the car in Sport mode and the DSC in stiff mode. Just perfect combo for this event. Acceleration, braking and cornering was so much flatter that before DSC install. Timing did improve!! But I think that the nut behind the wheel still needs a little work...
I think that this DSC box is the best suspension bang for the buck on my stock 911 GTS.
Next going to try it out at Chuckwalla raceway in mid January. Lots-O-Speed + many corners.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:38 AM
alan111
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking to purchase a DSC module to soften the normal ride mode. I'm running the OEM 19" lobster forks on PS2's at 32/36 PSI but ride still seems a bit too harsh.

Is there really a profound difference in the normal mode?
Old 12-16-2016, 01:24 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Had occasion to attend one AutoX and daily drive for a while now and must say that all the improvements are amazing. When I'm on the street I like to keep my car in Sport mode and the DSC in normal mode this combo is perfect. Before DSC install the PDK downshift into 1st was a bump & slight nose dive. Now with the DSC install I barely feel the PDK shifting. So smooth at slower speed and yet when I'm driving the highways there's both comfort and control.
The AutoX was at El Toro Marine airbase in Orange County so it was flat, smooth concrete. Chose to run the car in Sport mode and the DSC in stiff mode. Just perfect combo for this event. Acceleration, braking and cornering was so much flatter that before DSC install. Timing did improve!! But I think that the nut behind the wheel still needs a little work...
I think that this DSC box is the best suspension bang for the buck on my stock 911 GTS.
Next going to try it out at Chuckwalla raceway in mid January. Lots-O-Speed + many corners.
Thank you for your feedback! Does you car have factory alignment setting? If yes, further handling improvement can be achieved with sportier alignment settings. I can help with that.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 12-16-2016, 01:29 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by alan111
I'm looking to purchase a DSC module to soften the normal ride mode. I'm running the OEM 19" lobster forks on PS2's at 32/36 PSI but ride still seems a bit too harsh.

Is there really a profound difference in the normal mode?
Driving at a leisurely pace, DSC Normal mode will significantly reduce the bounciness of the car over both short duration and long duration bumps compared to PASM Normal mode. In DSC Sport mode the suspension is A LOT less jarring than in PASM Sport mode. With DSC, the harder you drive the stiffer the suspension gets. DSC is sensing and adjusting to the way the driver is driving the car in near real time.

The answer for your question is YES.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:50 PM
alan111
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Driving at a leisurely pace, DSC Normal mode will significantly reduce the bounciness of the car over both short duration and long duration bumps compared to PASM Normal mode. In DSC Sport mode the suspension is A LOT less jarring than in PASM Sport mode. With DSC, the harder you drive the stiffer the suspension gets. DSC is sensing and adjusting to the way the driver is driving the car in near real time.

The answer for your question is YES.
Thanks for that! Will try it out.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:57 AM
Jacky
Intermediate

Thank you for your feedback! Does you car have factory alignment setting? If yes, further handling improvement can be achieved with sportier alignment settings. I can help with that.
Tom, I'd love to hear more about the alignment settings that you are mentioning. I did make a change to what my auto shop suggested which was an AutoX alignment, on all four wheels, and can post those numbers but I'm curious to know your recommendations.
This is my daily driver as well as my fun AutoX and soon to be track car so my settings were a compromise.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:10 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,483 Likes on 4,127 Posts

You can also further customize the profile maps for a very compliant ride during regular driving. My 997.1 maps are on the share site and the parameters are actually in the title. These are with my B16s.

In normal mode, it's full soft up until 40% then incrementally stiffens to about 80% of full stiff at the other end. On-ramps are enough Gs to activate the dynamic aspect. Sport mode starts stiffer and is incremental through the entire range to full stiff, which is what I use for spirited mountain driving or high-speed, deserted highway runs.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:18 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Petza914
You can also further customize the profile maps for a very compliant ride during regular driving. My 997.1 maps are on the share site and the parameters are actually in the title. These are with my B16s.

In normal mode, it's full soft up until 40% then incrementally stiffens to about 80% of full stiff at the other end. On-ramps are enough Gs to activate the dynamic aspect. Sport mode starts stiffer and is incremental through the entire range to full stiff, which is what I use for spirited mountain driving or high-speed, deserted highway runs.
Good stuff! Also can use the DSC tuning software to set minimum damping value for both DSC modes to achieve the feel to the specific driver preference for B16 stiffer springs and/or for custom spring rates, and/or for stiffer sway bars like the TPC bars or GT3 bars.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:41 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Tom, I'd love to hear more about the alignment settings that you are mentioning. I did make a change to what my auto shop suggested which was an AutoX alignment, on all four wheels, and can post those numbers but I'm curious to know your recommendations.
This is my daily driver as well as my fun AutoX and soon to be track car so my settings were a compromise.
For daily and autocross I'd suggest this when using DSC:

Front camber: -0.8 to -1.0 degree(which is maximum via strut tower slots using OEM PASM springs, cars with OEM SPASM springs can get up to around -1.5 degree)
Front toe: 02' toe-out per side(slight toe-out helps entry but won't affect tire wear much, can go up to 07' toe-out per side but will require more attention to the wheel for street driving. I consult with each local customer to see how much they will tolerate to improve lap time)
Rear camber: -1.7 to -2.0 degree
Rear toe: 14' toe-in per side(can run 10' toe-in per side if you want more trail braking rear rotation for slow corners but will compromise exit a little)
Note on rear camber and toe eccentric dials, the dials should be a mirror image of left to right side, some deviation is okay but if deviation is more than say a quarter turn then split the difference between left to right or try "centering" the rear subframes to the body. This takes more time, patience and is beyond the effort of a typical 4-wheel alignment but for those who are willing to put in the extra time I think its worth it getting thing as they should be.

These numbers are for OEM lower control arms(not GT lower control arms) and OEM toe links running on 19" wheels.

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 12-19-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:12 AM
Jacky
Intermediate

For daily and autocross I'd suggest this when using DSC:

Front camber: -0.8 to -1.0 degree(which is maximum via strut tower slots using OEM PASM ...
Tom,
Great info - thx. I'll compare to my set-up get with the shop to make adjustment.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:33 AM
Jacky
Intermediate

Got out on a fast AutoX course with off-camber turns, rises & falls, sharp turns, sweeping turns and.... well it was a great test for my new DSC Sport module. Must say that the difference between stock PASM controller and the DCS was dramatic. Ran in both Sport and also Sport Plus modes. Sport Plus made for the best car handling in that environment.
Still have to put it on the track... soon at Chuckwalla in late January.
My driving around town is now smoother and my AutoX events are much improved by the DSC Sport module upgrade.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:41 AM
Jacky
Intermediate

Oops... Should have noted that the DSC is in Sport mode at AutoX events and in Normal mode when Daily Driving.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:38 AM
DSC Sport
Former Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Got out on a fast AutoX course with off-camber turns, rises & falls, sharp turns, sweeping turns and.... well it was a great test for my new DSC Sport module. Must say that the difference between stock PASM controller and the DCS was dramatic. Ran in both Sport and also Sport Plus modes. Sport Plus made for the best car handling in that environment.
Still have to put it on the track... soon at Chuckwalla in late January.
My driving around town is now smoother and my AutoX events are much improved by the DSC Sport module upgrade.
Glad to hear you are enjoying the DSC Sport, and it's great to get some more feedback from AutoXers!

~Jordan

Quick Reply: DSC Sport PASM control