Sponsored by:

DSC Sport PASM control

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 04:22 AM
Jacky
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DSC Sport PASM control

I'm wanting to purchase a DSC / TPC Racing shock controller but have a question about it's operation & interface with the set-up of my 997.2 -
It's a stock 2011 Carrera GTS w/ PASM & the Sport Chrono package option. So I can choose to drive in normal mode or from the dash I can select either Sport or Sport Plus; also there's a Shock control (toggle On-Off) and there's a PASM (toggle On-Off) button.
Once the DSC unit is installed, what will be the button or process to select a DSC mode?
The forum posts say that the DSC unit is controlled by the PASM button but mine currently only toggles on or off... Will this DSC unit work with my set-up?
Old 11-28-2016, 08:49 AM
secondshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The DSC module replaces the PASM box so all buttons function the same. DSC only operates on the shock button and has two modes: regular vs stiff/race. It is now independently selected when you select Sport (engine map) but still automatically selected in Sport Plus.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:05 PM
Jacky
Intermediate

Many THX secondshot
Old 11-29-2016, 01:43 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 200 Posts

I though the DCS unit had three modes?
Old 11-29-2016, 01:44 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I though the DCS unit had three modes?
Not anymore. That was the original. New firmware has two and they operate seamlessly with the OBC and PASM Button.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:16 AM
Jacky
Intermediate

Yup the button with the Shock Image is the one that operates a connected DSC module. With the updated version you now can select one of two modes - either slow or GO !!
...we'll see how it goes when I receive mine (on order). Keep you posted on my progress and AutoX time improvements using this new toy ;>)
Old 11-29-2016, 11:09 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

I've got one of these newer, two-mode units on the way too - it sounds like a wonderful mod for the money as the suspension is dynamically adjusted in real time, apparently improving the suspension for both comfort and performance in both modes. I'll report back.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:16 AM
Jacky
Intermediate

Just received my DSC module late today so tomorrow I'll install it!!

Well the money didn't go into the packaging...
Old 12-03-2016, 10:12 PM
secondshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Let us know how your install went and what you think. I love mine.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:36 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacky
Yup the button with the Shock Image is the one that operates a connected DSC module. With the updated version you now can select one of two modes - either slow or GO !!...
Nitpicking here, perhaps, but this is something about which I've been confused. Do you really select "slow" (Normal)? Is it not just on with the turn of the key? And by pressing the damper button, you get "GO" (Sport). (Or pressing Sport+.)
Old 12-04-2016, 11:25 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Nitpicking here, perhaps, but this is something about which I've been confused. Do you really select "slow" (Normal)? Is it not just on with the turn of the key? And by pressing the damper button, you get "GO" (Sport). (Or pressing Sport+.)
I think the slow vs go comment was meant as a joke. The control box affects the suspension only. It does not affect the engine speed, engine hp, or engine performance in any way.

This box replaces the factory shock control box aka PASM or Porsche Active Suspension Management. It's controlled with the button near the radio with the shock icon on the 'S' models. When pressed and the light is on you are in stiff suspension mode. When pressed again and the light is off you are in normal mode. It affects how stiff the shocks are electronically.

The stock Porsche PASM box is good in normal mode on the street, and good in stiff mode on the track. But the Porsche box is not very good in stiff mode on the street - it's just a bit too rough except on the smoothest of roads.

The DSC box is great in normal mode on the street, great in normal mode on the track, and awesome in stiff mode when pushing the car at speeds/turns on the street or track. The box tightens up just the right corner leaving the rest where they need to be. So stiff mode is very driveable on the street whereas the Porsche stiff mode is not. I keep mine in stiff mode all the time except when the wife is in the car. Then it's on normal mode and my driving style is more muted. The slow mode vs. go mode joke applies to me.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:52 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
When you start the car, DSC will be in whichever of the two modes it was in when the car was last switched off. You manually toggle between modes using the damper button. If DSC is in "normal" mode (damper button light off) when Sport Plus is selected, DSC switches automatically to the stiffer of the two modes and illuminates the damper button light.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:15 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Do you guys feel any difference with the dsc and oem pasm in normal mode?
Old 12-04-2016, 08:34 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Yes. DSC increases the dynamic range of whichever PASM compatible damper your car has, I.e it allows each damper to be adjusted softer than PASM or SPASM (if you have it) will on the soft end of the range and it will allow them to be individually adjusted to a stiffer setting than (S)PASM will in Sport or Sport Plus mode. So when you are driving on relatively smooth roads and aren't generating significant longitudinal or lateral g-loads, the DSC will set the shocks softer than they will ever be by PASM. Go over a significant bump or increase g-loads and DSC will respond accordingly with the ability to adjust each corner as needed.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

BTW, my comments on DSC are based on having the original 3 mode controller installed on a 09 C2S with OEM SPASM dampers for about a year. I then swapped the OEM springs and dampers for 997.1 GT3 coil overs with the stiffer 400 lb front springs recommended by Tom Chan and ran that configuration for 9 months or so before switching to a 2012 GTS with Tractive DDA dampers and having my DSC updated by TPC to the current 2 mode configuration. IMHO, DSC is the most cost effective upgrade one can make to improve the handling of what it is a pretty great handling car as it comes from mother Porsche.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport PASM control