Sponsored by:

Full or Empty gas tamk?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 06:00 PM
911Finally
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Full or Empty gas tamk?

In a couple weeks I'll be putting my 911 in the garage for the winter with only a monthly 30 minute gaunt to keep things lubed and running right. Should I store the car with a full tank of gas or keep in near empty. Not so much concerned about gas going bad as much as possible condensation in the tank.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:02 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Full-full.
1 ounce of StaBil per 2.5 gallons fuel.
And don't start the car till spring, when you intend to begin use again.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:16 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Full-full.
1 ounce of StaBil per 2.5 gallons fuel.
And don't start the car till spring, when you intend to begin use again.
Good advice on all counts. Don't run it unless you can get it to full operating temp. But for so short a period that isn't really necessary.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:18 PM
911Finally
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike cap
Good advice on all counts. Don't run it unless you can get it to full operating temp. But for so short a period that isn't really necessary.
OK. I thought I read here MANY times that I should take the car out maybe once a month and bring it up to temp, maybe run it out about 15-20 miles down the highway after a nice warm-up? No?
Old 11-25-2016, 06:20 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by 911Finally
No?
Correct.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Finally
OK. I thought I read here MANY times that I should take the car out maybe once a month and bring it up to temp, maybe run it out about 15-20 miles down the highway after a nice warm-up? No?
Yes. Better the engine and the car be used once in a while as long as you can run the engine long enough to get it up to temperature.

This circulates the oil and wets the seals and o-rings and such with fresh oil which helps keep them from drying out and shrinking from lack of use.

If it is not too cold run the A/C to circulate the compressor oil and refrigerant to help keep the A/C system seals from drying out. Be sure to run the cabin vent fan a while after turning off the A/C compressor to remove any moisture that might have condensed on the car's air ducts.

Store the car with the tank full or close to it. This keeps all the in-tank hoses and such submerged which helps keep them from possibly drying out and becoming brittle.

The tank doesn't "breathe" as it is a sealed system.

Be sure you change the oil and filter before putting the car away.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:45 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're not on battery charger, you must run long enough to put the charge back that was expended for the start.
I'm in the same situation with storing the car soon. But I do not start it unless I can drive it for a bit, and then at least weekly. Starting an engine with dry cylinder walls is something I want to do as infrequently as possible.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:37 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocco07
If you're not on battery charger, you must run long enough to put the charge back that was expended for the start.
I'm in the same situation with storing the car soon. But I do not start it unless I can drive it for a bit, and then at least weekly. Starting an engine with dry cylinder walls is something I want to do as infrequently as possible.
There is not such thing as dry cylinder walls in a boxer engine, you will note that if you start after a long(er) standstill, some smoke comes out the exhausts for a short time, perfectly normal.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:15 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

As you have already seen you are going to get diametrically opposed opinions on this. Here's mine:

1. If the objective of storing the car is to prevent getting salt etc on/under the car then you should not take it out at all. The people who say "i only take it out on dry days" are kidding themselves as salt is on the road and it will get on the car. If you are going to drive it occasionally then may as well drive it every day
2. The car seals etc will not dry out and get destroyed in a couple of months. Fill it up with gas, put on the tender and leave it. If you cant bear that because you think the car will not survive, see #1

Cheers
Old 11-26-2016, 01:30 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

I agree that driving in NJ on dry roads only infuses salt dust into the underside of the car. Don't do it. I'm in Upstate NY and the 993 and 997 do not see pavement till after the March or April heavy rains wash the roads clean. I bike ride all winter outside and come back from a ride coated n talcum powder salt dust and can taste the salt in my mouth. Follow Vern's advice.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:59 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

When you fill it up for storage, do it with non-ethanol enhanced fuel as the alcohol absorbs water and will be counterproductive to what you're trying to accomplish by filling the tank.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:23 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Just fill the tank full. Tender the battery, if not remove it. Start the car in Springtime.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:37 PM
DDzPorsche
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts

You might want to increase tire pressure to 50psi to help avoiding flat spots if you decide to park it.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:08 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would put it on jack stands. On a metal tank, its customary to fill it will fuel and stabilizer. But I think the 997 tank is not metal so that takes out the internal tank corrosion issue but not the chance of humidity forming inside an empty tank.

At the very least, keep it on a tender and start it once a month up to operating temps, run all systems (heat, AC, windows-sunroof up/down, blinkers, stereo, headlights, powered heated seats etc.)

Dormancy is the bane of any mechanical object. I had a small collection of bikes at one time. I always started them once a month to keep things running properly. Even now I have a collectible car, but I actually drive it once a month around the compound to keep the seals wet. And even then, I start it once a week just to keep on top of anything that might be creeping up on me.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:28 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by captainbaker
I would put it on jack stands.
Do not store a 997 with an unsprung suspension.

Quick Reply: Full or Empty gas tamk?