Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full or Empty gas tamk?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 10:23 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Fuel stabilizer is not so important for the winter months. Gasoline really degrades in the hotter months. I do not use it anymore but it will not hurt to put it in the tank. I drive my car in the winter only if the roads are dry and clean and the temp is above 40F. I drive for about an hour. Otherwise, I keep it in the garage, covered and on a battery maintainer and wait for April.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:51 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Full and stabo
Old 11-27-2016, 03:25 PM
19VFB19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My routine:
And I plug in one of those anti mouse frequency thingies nearby

Old 11-27-2016, 05:43 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 19VFB19
My routine:
And I plug in one of those anti mouse frequency thingies nearby

They get used to the electronic sounds. After my $4000 mouse episode, I have an electric mouse zapper from Victor, two standard moue traps under my 997. I got a few offenders then the wife bought some peppermint oil extract. Havent caught a mouse since or seen any droppings. We cut up some dish sponges into 1 inch cubes and placed them in strategic places like around the battery and in the engine compartment with zip ties.

She soaked a split log and parks on top of it every night. The oil lasts about a month, then you just go along and re wet with the oil. Kind of overkill but I dont want a another repair bill.

The garage now smells pepperminty fresh. I would also throw down some glue strips if I was leaving my car for months unchecked.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocco07
If you're not on battery charger, you must run long enough to put the charge back that was expended for the start.
I'm in the same situation with storing the car soon. But I do not start it unless I can drive it for a bit, and then at least weekly. Starting an engine with dry cylinder walls is something I want to do as infrequently as possible.
The walls aren't that dry to begin with. Quite a bit of residual oil is retained. And the lubrication requirements of the cylinder/ring/piston at cold start is very minimal. Besides the piston oil jets are fed from the same galley that feeds the mains. These oil jets spray a considerable amount of oil into the cylinders as the mains get fed with oil. If the walls were dry so too would be the mains.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:22 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm a fill the gas tank, fuel stabilizer, over inflate, battery tender guy.
Plus a handy dandy mouse spa, close by. My kid helped with the design...
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2016, 11:31 AM
Uwon
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

^^^^^^^
you aid it all
And...your kid has great promise!!
Johan
Old 11-29-2016, 12:03 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

I have never started nor run the car for any length of time during storage.

Before I got the lift, I put steel wool in the tips because mice will use the cloth for nesting material.
I also put "Dry Z Air" inside the cabin to keep it..well ...dry inside the cabin.
Something I learned from the motor home crowd. No musty smell come spring.

Put in Stabil just before fueling up. Just pouring Stabil into the tank is pointless if you don't run it as the fuel throughout the lines is untreated. (how many remember the days of gummed up carburetors or injectors).

I don't bother with filling the tank anymore as it's stored in a heated garage so I don't worry about the moisture issue. Besides, come spring I'd rather put in 40 litres or so of fresh fuel from the get go vs 65 litre of semi stale fuel.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:26 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 361 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
I have never started nor run the car for any length of time during storage.

Before I got the lift, I put steel wool in the tips because mice will use the cloth for nesting material.
I also put "Dry Z Air" inside the cabin to keep it..well ...dry inside the cabin.
Something I learned from the motor home crowd. No musty smell come spring.

Put in Stabil just before fueling up. Just pouring Stabil into the tank is pointless if you don't run it as the fuel throughout the lines is untreated. (how many remember the days of gummed up carburetors or injectors).

I don't bother with filling the tank anymore as it's stored in a heated garage so I don't worry about the moisture issue. Besides, come spring I'd rather put in 40 litres or so of fresh fuel from the get go vs 65 litre of semi stale fuel.
This,
I live in Oklahoma though...
The most IMPORTANT thing to remember is the battery tender..
for flat spots ( I don't over inflate... I push the car back and forth and mark where it is) never had a flat spot as a result just moving it by hand once a week a little bit.
MODERN fuel systems do not need a FULL tank of fuel as they are not breathe systems..these corrosion facts people are stating is all false.
Also fuel has a shelf life of three to six months...
don't know why everyone is throwing stabil in just FYI
E10 is around 3 months and why the Chevrolet volt burns off gas at 3 months..

I would only put stabil in if you are storing longer than 3 months with e10 and 4 months with pure gas (being extremely safe over the actual fuel lifespan)

I work in the industry.

Quick Reply: Full or Empty gas tamk?