Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Things Done to your 997

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 03:11 PM
lonewolf9
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shortly after I bought the car, I tried to repair an imperfection in the rubber trim about the driver's side window. It was bent slightly upward, so tried to repair it with a rubber mallot but I missed the target and put a slight dent in the body above the window.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:52 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lonewolf9
Shortly after I bought the car, I tried to repair an imperfection in the rubber trim about the driver's side window. It was bent slightly upward, so tried to repair it with a rubber mallot but I missed the target and put a slight dent in the body above the window.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:45 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to replace the LED side markers with OEM markers. Pulled the old ones out....dropped the cable down the bumper and now I can't reach it. Can't see it either. Uggggg

Borrowed a friends claw to "fish" it out.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:55 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

During a heavy rain storm in So Cal, didn't see the large (4' diam.) bramble bush that had blown into my lane beneath an underpass. It was night (and the bush was was't painted white or dayglow green) and didn't spot it until I was 50' away. Needless to say, the 997 ate the bramble bush which luckily (?) went underneath the car. Many scratches to the right front of the car. Luckily I was able to rub out nearly all of them. You have to put the car on a lift and look closely to see them.
Lesson Learned: In a heavy rain storm, when going under an underpass, you might want to hit your high beams.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:31 PM
Appleveedub
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought the car in Virginia and drove all the way back to PA. As I pulled into the driveway the car's carbon fiber lip got busted up when I hit the sidewalk. The slanted curb to my drive settled over the years and sits about 1 inch below the curb. Man, was I pissed.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:55 PM
L8 APXR
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Was participating in an Autocross a few months ago. Got offline and took a cone just off of centerline. 1 in a million shot as the cone went up into the front bumper and snapped off the radiator inlet cleanly. Didn't realize what had happened until nearing the finish line when everyone was waving arms and flags at me and yes, I put down a nice trail of coolant on the line for over half the course. Had a lot of people pissed at me for that one...

I also paid to have the wheels refinished and a then week later turned out of the drive-through ATM lane just a few inches too soon and rashed the wheel.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:30 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Was driving the car home after having the whole car ceramic coated. A 18-wheeler's tire on I94 exploded in front of me and only when I got home did I notice that I had basically driven through a hand grenade. I currently need the entire front end repolished and need some paint work to fix big chips on the bumper and hood.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:04 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Put back on a exhaust tip with a drilled out bolt. The remaining thread was not good enough to hold a new bolt and the tip came flying off 1 mile after driving where I lost the inner ring and marking up the tip. Turns out the ring is impossible to find and took a week to fab a ring to put the tip back on. Bozo move and ironic as I had removed and restalled the front bumper with no trouble just earlier. Gotta pay attention to the small things.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:20 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Was driving the car home after having the whole car ceramic coated. A 18-wheeler's tire on I94 exploded in front of me and only when I got home did I notice that I had basically driven through a hand grenade. I currently need the entire front end repolished and need some paint work to fix big chips on the bumper and hood.
This made be cringe. I feel for you. I am always avoiding trucks and dump trucks, and guys pulling open trailers with bobcats. On the way to work I know all the bumps since this is where they drop their stones and rocks. Even staying way back or zipping by them before the next bump that I know will throw crap down the road.

Quick Reply: Stupid Things Done to your 997