Sponsored by:

Stupid Things Done to your 997

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 07:31 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsilnner
This is a small one but I'll bet that I am not the first owner who broke part of the logo on the engine lid off while dusting or drying their cars.

A fast fix and the dealer, and a lot cheeper that mistakes I have made with other cars...
My Dad did that on his 996
Old 07-24-2017, 08:18 PM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

#1 I had an old 911T many years ago. It was not a pristine Porsche but it was my first. My sons were young so I hopped in my 911T to go play golf on an early Saturday morning. Trying to leave without waking everyone, I soon realized that raising the garage door first would reduce the noise level of my departure...

#2 I also had lobster fork wheels that fell over on asphalt and scratched them a little. Just enough to cause one to question his ancestry.

#3 I used my new Motive brake bleeder on my 997.2 and my wife's Cayenne. I used both methods, (fluid in tank and just air), and had both cars flat-bedded to dealer. I used an identical Motive bleeder on my friend's 997.2 and it worked perfectly. Why me...?!
Old 07-24-2017, 09:18 PM
ric-ko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you all beat. Went through an automatic car wash with the top down (sort of).

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...dumb-dumb.html
Old 07-24-2017, 09:23 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Uh...10k mistake in 2010 with my brand new 997.2. Let 13 year old start car before school (don't judge I was on a call and multi tasking when he asked).

After huge crash, I inferred he let out clutch, and car bunny hopped into tool chest and outside fridge. Said took chest was the buffer between car and dry wall....but car won. Needed new:
-took chest
-outside fridge
-drywall
-hood (uh huh...tool chest drawer 3 fell on me hood)
-bumper
-and...yassssss both front side panels dented as well.

All in about 10 large. Schwing!
Old 07-24-2017, 09:27 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Ummmm every last cosmetic mod done to the car by PO.........including cutting the clear bra on front left fender with razor knife down to the metal. IDIOT.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:27 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheconvert
Uh...10k mistake in 2010 with my brand new 997.2. Let 13 year old start car before school (don't judge I was on a call and multi tasking when he asked).

After huge crash, I inferred he let out clutch, and car bunny hopped into tool chest and outside fridge. Said took chest was the buffer between car and dry wall....but car won. Needed new:
-took chest
-outside fridge
-drywall
-hood (uh huh...tool chest drawer 3 fell on me hood)
-bumper
-and...yassssss both front side panels dented as well.

All in about 10 large. Schwing!
Ouch! Not judging, but that hurts.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:34 PM
Torq5teer
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you know that the concrete pillars that protect some gas pumps are lower than the line of sight behind a 997 convertible? Me either until last month. Fortunately it did almost no permanent damage other than some bumperette scuffs, a slightly angled license plate light, and a dented license plate.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:56 AM
rob0001
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

As a few others on this forum, buying the clima repair V1 switch and even more dumb to accept the V2 version to close the paypal dispute!
Old 07-25-2017, 03:59 PM
Rengoku
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rob0001
As a few others on this forum, buying the clima repair V1 switch and even more dumb to accept the V2 version to close the paypal dispute!
Same here, got the V1 switches and was shocked to see how terrible the quality was. Emailed them recently to see if they would offer a free replacement with the V2 version, but they wanted extra for s&h. Wasn't prepared to spend more money on these guys based on their track record.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:01 PM
TECNO
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moved my car into the garage to be safe from an incoming hurricane. Inside the garage a ladder fell onto my fender within minutes.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:13 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I never curbed a wheel in my life, but I have two sets of wheels for my Porsche and have curbed a wheel in each set.

What's frustrating about it is I did it because I try to park against a curb whenever I can, to reduce the risk of door dings by 50%. On both occasions, I knew the curb was there, got into the car, got distracted by a phone call and when I drove away, I cut the wheel too sharply too soon and hit the curb I knew was there all along.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:16 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
I never curbed a wheel in my life, but I have two sets of wheels for my Porsche and have curbed a wheel in each set.

What's frustrating about it is I did it because I try to park against a curb whenever I can, to reduce the risk of door dings by 50%. On both occasions, I knew the curb was there, got into the car, got distracted by a phone call and when I drove away, I cut the wheel too sharply too soon and hit the curb I knew was there all along.
I always look for those sweet curb spots to reduce door ding odds. Nothing better than getting the right hand curb spot, hoping a one passenger car parks next to you. But I've come pretty close to the curb as well but no curb rash yet.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:01 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's good to see I'm not alone

My two biggest are:

- After reading somewhere here that I should park my car in gear, I was working on my Cayman and needed to start the engine. Without getting into the car, I reached a leg in through the open driver's door, put my foot on the clutch, and started the car. Which then launched into my outdoor fridge. New bumper cover, new fridge, an epic fight against my insurance company, and spousal humiliation ensued. Needless to say, I now park my cars in neutral.

- Was removing the Paint Protection Film from the front of the 911 because it was scuffed up. Came off easily from the mirrors, and initially from the bumper. It was going so well that I stopped using the heat gun, and I pulled a huge patch of paint off the bumper cover. $1000 later my bumper cover was prepped and re-sprayed. Partially offset because I was able to paint my headlight washers at the same time.

Keep 'em coming.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:00 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kcheves

My two biggest are:

- After reading somewhere here that I should park my car in gear, I was working on my Cayman and needed to start the engine. Without getting into the car, I reached a leg in through the open driver's door, put my foot on the clutch, and started the car. Which then launched into my outdoor fridge. New bumper cover, new fridge, an epic fight against my insurance company, and spousal humiliation ensued. Needless to say, I now park my cars in neutral.
I parked it in Neutral and didnt put the emergency brake on as much as I should and it rolled down my driveway, across the street and on my neighbour's lawn.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:48 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't pull fat enough in garage so scrapped a 2 inch are on bumper numb and estimate was $500

Quick Reply: Stupid Things Done to your 997