Sponsored by:

Stupid Things Done to your 997

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 02:39 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Things Done to your 997

I know everyone has had at least one moment where they did something that either caused damaged to their car or regretted a mod or something else to your ride.

For me it was my first oil change as a new owner of my 07 4S. I had my car on ramps to change the oil. I was done, Brother-In-Law helped me, and like an idiot I sort of just sat in the car with the door open as the car slide off the ramp.

I hit the clutch in and missed the brake as the car came off the ramps and then.....BOOM. I hit the wall with the front bumper and put a dent in it.

Boy I had this sick feeling in my stomach. The bumper had a clear bra on it, so I got a nice used on on eBay in good condition and had the new one painted and swapped out. Felt better after that but boy what a bone head move.

While we have this great time to be thankful, especially for Porsche's, but it's nice to have a laugh when things are not so thankful.

Can't wait to see the threads over the weekend!
Old 11-22-2016, 02:51 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,523 Likes on 955 Posts

My worst incident was bumping the rear bumperette of my 997 with an aluminum ladder that I was moving. I thought I had plenty of space, and I ended up chipping the paint. I would have had enough space if I had simply opened the overhead door, but I tried to squeeze through. I was very angry with myself after that one.

My only regrettable modification was adding aftermarket LED tail lights to my 997.1. Fortunately that mod was easily reversed and I sold the LED units.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:03 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
My worst incident was bumping the rear bumperette of my 997 with an aluminum ladder that I was moving. I thought I had plenty of space, and I ended up chipping the paint. I would have had enough space if I had simply opened the overhead door, but I tried to squeeze through. I was very angry with myself after that one.

My only regrettable modification was adding aftermarket LED tail lights to my 997.1. Fortunately that mod was easily reversed and I sold the LED units.
As a regrettable Mod for me...I would say the Fabspeed HAI. Waste of money...though it looked really cool. The sound wasn't cool for the wife...it was taken out fairly quickly. Sold it, but lost money. =(

Next mods I want to do are all Aero. Improve the exterior look of the car.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:13 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

I waxed my Boxster with leather conditioner. Yep..... the whole car.

Before you dismiss me to dork farm, there is a story. Zaino. With Zaino you squirt out their polymer stuff into a separate little bottle where you then add a few drops of a hardener. Well back then, Zaino would use the exact same bottle for various products... and both the bottle and product look exactly the same.... or at least pretty darn similar.... So...... When you apply, you don't buff in like wax, you just wipe in on fast. So will one quick mistake, I waxed the car with leather conditioner mixed with a bit of some hardener stuff.

At first I crapped.... then I laughed. So some Dawn and hot water took it right off.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-22-2016, 04:32 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Had the headliner out to fix a broken sunroof. Temporarily reinstalled the front bolts to the sunroof assembly so I wouldn't loose them. Well with the assembly out the bolts were too long, so I put a few nice little dings in my roof from underneath. PDR fixed it like new, no paint work needed. Plus the overall cost was minor, more of a hassle to schedule the appointment and such. But boy was I pissed at myself for being so "smart".
Old 11-22-2016, 04:43 PM
pro1200
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

I removed the wheels from my newly acquired '07 C2S to detail them. I flipped them on my concrete slab face down and discovered that the spokes on the front wheels protrude past the face of the tires. As a result the 5 spokes got scratched at the point of contact. These were the "lobster fork" design and I never had seen a wheel that was designed like this so I never thought to check before putting them face down.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:17 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wore jeans with metal buttons on the back and when I sat down, it made a small mark on the leather seats. Very annoying.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:49 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

Took it out of the garage AND IT GOT DIRT ON IT.
Never again.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:32 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Took it out of the garage AND IT GOT DIRT ON IT.
Never again.
Hah. My only regret is not buying one earlier. Happy TG 997 crew!
T
Old 11-22-2016, 07:05 PM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 29 Posts

Debated for months on purchasing rear LED's and I finally decided to do it. I felt pretty indifferent about the updated looks but figured I would keep them on there since I already bought and installed them.

Second weekend I had them on I went canyon driving and took a pretty sharp uphill right hairpin when I see something flying behind me. I thought it was my eyes playing tricks on and me and then all of a sudden my dash lights starting turning red, "ERROR TAILLIGHT MALFUNCTION".

I pull over and find my left tailight completely missing, turns it I didn't install it correctly and it flew off when I took a really tight turn. Fortunately I was able to find it a quarter-mile behind me and install it correctly but it was scratched/chipped.

I debated going back to the OEM's or trying to find a left taillight, but fortunately Delrey Customs had a single taillight they were willing to sell to me at 1/2 the price of a pair. I was pretty grateful for that.

Overall though, paid 1.5x the price on some taillights that after a year of owning...ehh I could take it or leave it. Part of me is keeping them installed because of the price paid, but if I were to go back I wouldn't have bought them.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:15 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C

What didn't you like about them?
Old 11-22-2016, 10:10 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,523 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
What didn't you like about them?
I didn't like the look. When I bought them, I didn't realize that solid red tail lights were a factory option for the 997.1. I much prefer that look. My issue with the LEDs that I bought (Depo/Dectane) is the way that they look when the brake lights are illuminated. They look very much like the LEDs found on a low-end Japanese car, in my opinion (Nissan Sentra, in particular). They don't look like OE LED lights on the 997.2 cars. Obviously this is a very subjective thing. I know that many people love them and are very happy with them, I'm just not one of those people.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:43 PM
secondshot
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Washed my car this weekend. Wind kicked up and started blowing leaves all over my clean and wet car. Decided to pull into my very tight garage to dry her down. Didn't pull all the way in to get to the frunk area. Wind got a lot worse so I hit the button on the garage door without really thinking about it.

Before I could react, whack. Door hits rear of car. Nice new scratches. Man did I feel stupid. Then I learned how to remove scratches.

Last edited by secondshot; 11-26-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:43 AM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

LED tail lights are my biggest regret too. What a pain. I didn't want to install any resistors so every time I turned on the rear fog lamps, I'd get a warning in the dash that would just stay on even after you restart the car. If that wasn't enough, the left turn signal started giving the dash warning too while appearing to work perfectly fine. That's normal apparently, so the seller suggested I install the resistors on the turn signal wires. That's when I removed them and went back to stock lights. What a waste of time.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:17 AM
Psymon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Closed the frunk while the battery was disconnected
Key to my home was left inside the frunk

Quick Reply: Stupid Things Done to your 997