Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do I keep mangling the oil drain plug?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 07:01 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Don't know what all this fuss is about. Still use original drain plug after 7 yrs. Do not over tighten drain plug, it doesn't need it !
Old 11-14-2016, 10:49 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

Convert to a drain plug that is a standard 6 point and not the stupid hex.

http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/porsche.php

With either plug type... just snug. If it doesn't leak, your good.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:00 AM
tufenhundel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by platinum997

I like that! Which size to get? Tried searching for size info on the plug, but came up empty.

It felt like 19 ft-lbs for this plug was way more than "snug", but this number must've been spec'd for a reason. I realize it's not a crucial structural part, but thought maybe heat & vibration might do something that someone knows about, and I didn't want to make assumptions.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:05 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Hex is a 6 point...what are you referring to?
Old 11-15-2016, 10:36 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

M18x1.5 is the drain plug spec. BTW, this also fits the manual gearbox drain plug if you want to buy 2 to protect your transmission from loose ferrous particles too. Gives you an excuse to renew your gear oil with the excellent Mobil 1 PTX that eliminates that first gear engagement resistance when at a stop.

I have the LN magnetic plugs in both.

What he means by hex on this plug is that it has an exteral hex to use a regular socket. The others that keep getting messed up have an internal hex, like a large Allen key.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:37 AM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

The only drain plug I've ever mangled is while using a torque wrench. A torque wrench is supposed to give you a specific torque setting obviously but it removes any "feel" you have with your hand. And, many are inaccurate. I prefer a small ratchet (or box wrench depending on plug). If you pay attention you can actually feel the plug engage the crush washer then snug up to the pan. Even a firm hand will rarely get beyond 25ft/lb torque using a small ratchet (or box wrench). I suspect your problem is an inaccurate torque wrench or a bad bit.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:06 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

or confused FT-LBS with inch-LBS, or NM-Kg....seen it happen many times. That or doing the wrong conversion for the actual wrench they are using.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:06 AM
tufenhundel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Petza914
M18x1.5 is the drain plug spec. BTW, this also fits the manual gearbox drain plug if you want to buy 2 to protect your transmission from loose ferrous particles too. Gives you an excuse to renew your gear oil with the excellent Mobil 1 PTX that eliminates that first gear engagement resistance when at a stop.

What he means by hex on this plug is that it has an exteral hex to use a regular socket. The others that keep getting messed up have an internal hex, like a large Allen key.
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. There was an M18 and M20 on that site. Got to be careful and not over torque these since they seem to be made out of some steel alloy.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:10 AM
tufenhundel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikemessi
The only drain plug I've ever mangled is while using a torque wrench. A torque wrench is supposed to give you a specific torque setting obviously but it removes any "feel" you have with your hand. And, many are inaccurate. I prefer a small ratchet (or box wrench depending on plug). If you pay attention you can actually feel the plug engage the crush washer then snug up to the pan. Even a firm hand will rarely get beyond 25ft/lb torque using a small ratchet (or box wrench). I suspect your problem is an inaccurate torque wrench or a bad bit.
I'm suspecting a bad bit. I'll be hand tightening these in the future.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:27 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Not sure what an external hex is. I have a set of hex bits that I use with my ratchet and torque wrenches - like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-8...BSSR/203559457
Old 11-15-2016, 12:36 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Platinum, thanks for the heads up on this. Just ordered one.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:37 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Hex is a 6 point...what are you referring to?
An actual socket like most cars.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:15 PM
bml376
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On my 997.2 I've found that over time, the LN Engineering magnetic plug (the one that requires 19 ft/lbs) requires slightly more force than that to prevent any oil leaks. A brand new plug works fine e.g. there are no leaks at 19 ft/lbs, but after a reuse of the plug, 20 ft/lbs or more was required to prevent leaks, just as an example. There have been times where I've had to go as high as 25 ft/lbs to prevent any sign of leakage.

This past weekend, I did an oil change and went back to a new OEM drain plug (the one that requires 37 ft/lbs). My method of torquing this was was to start and 19 ft/lbs and increment 1 ft/lb each time until reaching 37 ft/lbs.

Something else I do when loosing the drain plug, is to loosen the drain plug when cold prior to warming up the engine to get the oil circulating. To loose the plug, I use a breaker bar just to slightly loosen the drain plug, then start the engine to warm up and circulate the oil. After this, I'm able to loosen and remove the drain plug by hand and there are no leaks whatsoever.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:28 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I believe that the oem drain plugs are aluminum, so if you for some reason over tighten you damage the plug male threads not the female thread on the drain pan. Careful with the steel drain plugs, do not over tighten as you may strip the threads on the pan, and that could be very expensive to repair.
Obviously use a new crush washer every time you change the oil. Made from a soft metal enabling a good seal. Again, do not overtighten
Old 11-16-2016, 04:48 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I believe that the oem drain plugs are aluminum, so if you for some reason over tighten you damage the plug male threads not the female thread on the drain pan. Careful with the steel drain plugs, do not over tighten as you may strip the threads on the pan, and that could be very expensive to repair.
Obviously use a new crush washer every time you change the oil. Made from a soft metal enabling a good seal. Again, do not overtighten
+1... I suspect they are aluminum to give up before you do more major damage.

Hmm..... let's see how much minutia we can write about drain plugs.....

FYI, I never had a problem with any plug any car I've owned... not bragging, but I suspect issues are related to over tightening. I never realized how much I overtighten things until I got a torque wrench. BTW, I only use cheapo washers and never had a drip.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Why do I keep mangling the oil drain plug?