Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do I keep mangling the oil drain plug?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 04:38 PM
tufenhundel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do I keep mangling the oil drain plug?

Did my first oil change yesterday. It was a prolonged affair due to my mangling of the drain plug as I tried to remove it, then waiting for the extractor kit to arrive, and finally finishing. However, when I installed the new plug, I managed to mangle that one too. This was despite seating the hex drive as deep as I can into the plug, even tapping it light with a hammer before screwing it in.

The new plug was the mag one that required 19 ft-lbs of torque force, but I didn't get that on my wrench before it got mangled. I dare not attempt further tightening or risk making a major headache for the next oil change.

I'll keep an eye on the oil as I drive, watch for leaks, but what would you do differently? Do you have a particular hex bit that seats fully into the plug. I don't think I'd have this problem if my bit seated fully in, and not just a few millimeters. It's the 8mm required bit.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:03 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure why your bit doesn't seat fully. Is it a quality brand and in good condition? If not, replace.

I've found on occasion that the "hole" for the bit can get plugged with road debris and general crap. Try cleaning it with a toothpick or other small, non-damaging device.

Finally, when you replace the drain plug are you using a good torque wrench and the correct torque? For my 2009 C2S, torque is 37 ft-lbs IIRC.

Good luck.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:10 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

37 on the plug, 19 on the filter. That's for the 997.2S at least.

Magnetic plugs that I've seen are made from soft aluminum and can round out. But if you drive a ***** punch into them 1/8 inch from the edge and then tilt that punch to about 45 degrees you can then drive them out pretty easily.

Get the best quality tools you can find. Not all tools are sized equivalently.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:07 PM
Cbst09
Racer

I had the same issues with mine. I happened with the oem drain plug as well as another aluminum magnetic drain plug I had purchased. This one is steel and exactly the same size in every way as the oem plug and has the magnet on it as well. I didn't buy it for the magnet but it is an added bonus. Well worth the 20 bucks I spent on it. No affiliation

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...5UL0qt&vxp=mtr
Old 11-12-2016, 07:14 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 277 Posts

I recommend that you start the drain plug by hand:

1. Place the plug into into the drain hole, and
2. Without applying much pressure, rotate the plug as if you are unscrewing it,
3. Eventually, within 360 degrees of rotation, you will feel a slight click. That is the oil pan thread starting point meeting the drain plug starting point,
4. With out adjusting the position of the drain plug, now rotate the plug as if to tighten it.
5. This all but guarantees no cross thread.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:03 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Magnetic drain plug torque spec is 19 ft lbs. and I believe it takes an 8mm hex fitting.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:27 PM
Cbst09
Racer

The issue I was having with the oem aluminum plug was not cross threading but rather the 8mm hex socket would either get stuck in the drain plug or the plug would begin to round. Yes, I was using the correct sized socket as well a proper torque wrench.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:02 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Why can't Porsche make these things out of steel - they always did in the past.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:22 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

forget about torque wrenches 19 is about hand tight. same as about any other drain plug. if it feels tight, its tight
Old 11-12-2016, 09:41 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 80 Posts

If you have buddy that does car related things, call him over once and see what he does. Patience is king when working with cars. Never use force. You're doing something wrong if you're forcing stuff. I've done a bunch of oil changes and never a problem with the Aluminum plugs.

I don't mean to sound condescending, just trying to be helpful.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:31 PM
too tall
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CBST09 - Just for giggles go to sears and test fit some sockets. Bring your old one along as a standard. That plug should not round out given proper tools and I am reading correctly you are not hamfisting this so rule that out.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:55 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

There's a chance your torque wrench isn't working correctly. Incorrect torque settings are the first sign of a failing torque wrench. Low torque settings are particularly prone to inaccuracy.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:31 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Originally Posted by KNS
Why can't Porsche make these things out of steel - they always did in the past.
They have been thinking about this. A steel plug in knowledgeable hands is fine, but some people managed to rip a big hole in the sump by over tightening the plug. With a softer material plug and a small allen hole the risk of causing problems is small as in most cases you just round the allen hole...
Old 11-13-2016, 09:28 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by too tall
CBST09 - Just for giggles go to sears and test fit some sockets. Bring your old one along as a standard. That plug should not round out given proper tools and I am reading correctly you are not hamfisting this so rule that out.
Agree. Also, make sure it's a hex bit and not a torx bit.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:56 PM
911Finally
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone ever thought of using one of these? I'm thinking of getting one for each of my 3 cars. I use a vacuum extractor to take the oil out through the dipstick (other vehicles) and then undo the drain plug to get the last half cup or so of oi; out. That way I'm not spilling oil all over or miscalculating positioning the oil container.
https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/...rain-plug.html
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Why do I keep mangling the oil drain plug?