Sponsored by:

Billy boat center muffler bypass

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 10:49 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Billy boat center muffler bypass

Anyone have the JEGs BB center bypass on 997.2? Are there any recognized torque/hp gains with this? I can find anything stating that there is....but do see Sharkwerks and Fabspeed claiming real world gains - the JEGS is almost 1/2 the price - I did a 2" Gundo last week with Fabspeed intake - sounds "decent" I don't need it any louder but wouldn't mind some "crackles and pops" - would adding this only make it louder??? Thx
Old 10-13-2016, 11:38 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

I purchased the BB muffler bypass last week, it should arrive early next week. I'm doing it mainly for the sound but any weight loss and hp/tq increase would be an added bonus.

If Sharwerks says that their bypass provides hp and tq gains, I would think that the BB does the same as both systems are pretty much identical. I honestly can't justify paying twice as much for 2 very simple metallic tubes just for the name. Even if there are gains, I strongly doubt that you would be able to feel it with your butt dyno anyways.

I purchased mine from LMPerformance and it cost me $577 shipped. If you are not in FL, you could probably save a bit more since I had to pay sales tax (LMPerformance is also in FL).

Here's a thread that goes into great detail regarding the BB vs Sharkwerks:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...s-997-2-a.html
Old 10-13-2016, 11:46 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Run a search. It has been covered many times.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:53 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I am thinking of doing this too....... let me know how it turns out
Old 10-14-2016, 10:59 AM
VanSant62
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed about 1.5 months ago, it took care of the rattling sound from the center muffler at start up in normal mode. It sounds a bit better not really that much louder but better. Im happy with it, accomplished what I wanted, you hear it more as the rpms rise. I drive mine primarily in sport mode. Its a great deal from JEGS, mine was $575.00 free shipping to Houston. Took a week and a half to receive.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:16 PM
tuxkilla
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The other thread stated something like "Its a pipe. What else do you want to know". This sums it up well. I bought the billy boat because I was lazy and didn't want to fab something up, and paying the full P-Car tax for a few bends, welds and SPD flanges wasn't something I wanted to do. So, the Billy Boat was purchased and installed. Good quality, good fitment, easy install. It doesn't have the mounting brackets for the center muffler like the sharkwerks pipe has, but its also a super light pipe, supported by the muffler flange and the clamp on either side.

Edit: Since everyone loves pictures, here you go..

Old 10-15-2016, 01:52 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxkilla
The other thread stated something like "Its a pipe. What else do you want to know". This sums it up well. I bought the billy boat because I was lazy and didn't want to fab something up, and paying the full P-Car tax for a few bends, welds and SPD flanges wasn't something I wanted to do. So, the Billy Boat was purchased and installed. Good quality, good fitment, easy install. It doesn't have the mounting brackets for the center muffler like the sharkwerks pipe has, but its also a super light pipe, supported by the muffler flange and the clamp on either side.
ditto. However there's one catch:
In the picture from the previous poster you can see the BB badge on the pipes.
Well, the ONLY purpose of this badge is IMHO to draw attention to the fact that you have an aftermarket part in your emissions system. I didn't have my bi-annual emissions check yet, but am very "interested" to see how this will turn out
Old 10-15-2016, 02:37 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
ditto. However there's one catch:
In the picture from the previous poster you can see the BB badge on the pipes.
Well, the ONLYa purpose of this badge is IMHO to draw attention to the fact that you have an aftermarket part in your emissions system. I didn't have my bi-annual emissions check yet, but am very "interested" to see how this will turn out
These bypasses are cat-back.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:04 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 223 Posts

I know that, but in CA *ANY* aftermarket exhaust part must be CARB (California Air Board) approved
Old 10-15-2016, 07:33 PM
tuxkilla
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in the great state of TN, so if I happened to roll up to the emissions place even with a v8 swap or any sort of mod, they would just want to know what it does in the quarter mile. For those concerned about CARB or whatever, I guess one could easily take the plate off?
Old 10-15-2016, 08:23 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

No the CARB inspectors in CA are very knowledgeable about what the OEM looks like. No way the pass a car with the BB bypass unless they get paid off.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:05 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With stock non-PSE side cans the difference is subtle after the center muffler replacement. With PSE, Gundo, or aftermarket side mufflers the difference in sound is significant.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:13 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
I know that, but in CA *ANY* aftermarket exhaust part must be CARB (California Air Board) approved
Never had a problem on either 997.2, both of which had SW bypasses. And, yes, in CA.

Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
With stock non-PSE side cans the difference is subtle after the center muffler replacement. With PSE, Gundo, or aftermarket side mufflers the difference in sound is significant.
+1. Gundo/Fister or PSE + bypass = perfect.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:46 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

BBE website has these for 541 shipped with promotion code found on 6speed.

Just ordered a set.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:04 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Bought mine for just under $500 from LP Performance shipped.

Quick Reply: Billy boat center muffler bypass