Sponsored by:

Snake oil or not?? Sprint Booster

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 05:41 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pfbz
So in summary, you haven't tried it on your or anyone else's 911, but your sure you won't like it and can't imagine why someone else would?
No in summary:

It is subjectively better for some that prefer more acceleration with less application of pedal. I can understand this is more comfortable for some, and I respect that.

Objectively, it is not "better" if we are talking performance because unless you are sure it is more linear + has the same distance for max acceleration applied (thus same ability to modulate throttle on track/rain/grip threshold high performance situations), then it does not provide an "objective" advantage over stock.

In fact, if it is LESS linear like the one I experienced on a BMW, it is a performance detractor, objectively, for limiting the ability to modulate throttle.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:43 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexandrius
No in summary:

It is subjectively better for some that prefer more acceleration with less application of pedal. I can understand this is more comfortable for some, and I respect that.

Objectively, it is not "better" if we are talking performance because unless you are sure it is more linear + has the same distance for max acceleration applied (thus same ability to modulate throttle on track/rain/grip threshold high performance situations), then it does not provide an "objective" advantage over stock.
Nobody said 'better'. Quite a few have said "more fun to drive".

And again for the 1,000th time, you can put it back into stock mapping with a finger press if you don't like it on the track (but you will).
Old 09-16-2016, 05:51 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Oh, but it does... per the manufacturer (german factory connection) SC does engine mapping and stability management threshold changes.
Please provide evidence for this totally nonsensical belief of yours. Post the sources so we can all be enlightened. Thanks

I am reminded of the salesman who in 2006 claimed that Sport added 'about 30 horsepower' It of course does not and I went elsewhere rather than deal with someone blowing smoke out of his a$$.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:57 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Preety sure ADias is right about stability management threshold changes.

SC comes with a less-intrusive traction control.

I've seen the source elsewhere but can't find it.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:58 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

No in summary:

In fact, if it is LESS linear like the one I experienced on a BMW, it is a performance detractor, objectively, for limiting the ability to modulate throttle.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:00 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Please provide evidence for this totally nonsensical belief of yours. Post the sources so we can all be enlightened. Thanks
OK, not my battle (and I have enough of one with the SB), but this language from the current Porsche 911 web page indicates Sport Chrono modifies PSM maps... Yes, it's for the current generation 9121, but it was my understanding that Sport Chrono has affected PSM (and other system parameters) since inception.
"Sport Chrono Package
In conjunction with the optional Sport Chrono Package, PSM is supplemented by a ‘Sport’ mode. It allows a significantly more sporty driving style, with PSM remaining active in the background. For a further enhancement to your driving experience."
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...hrono-package/
Old 09-16-2016, 06:07 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

"More than a collection of the world’s most refined race-bred technologies, the Porsche 911 is a driving experience. The new Sport Chrono Package Plus option is an all-new integrated system providing simultaneous enhancement for engine, chassis and the optional Tiptronic S transmission. The results are even greater performance and pleasure from your Porsche.

Pressing the “Sport” button on the center console is all that’s required to begin exploiting the new 911’s generous reserves of power and agility in a more immediate manner. In Sport mode, the engine management system’s variable parameters are recalibrated to enhance engine response. A modified throttle map empowers your right foot with more progressive reaction to each tap of the accelerator. In higher gears, a rev-limiter works in tandem to offer additional protection for the engine under acceleration.

On vehicles with Tiptronic S transmission, automatic gearshifts also become faster and more dynamic. Lift off the throttle – even at high revs – and the system immediately shifts down to apply engine braking.

Unwanted upshifts in manual mode are also prevented, even as you approach the engine’s rev limit. The payoff? More secure and predictable handling, particularly in the corners.

While all of this is happening, PASM switches to a more rigid setup with firmer electronic damper settings for precise cornering, improved high-speed stability and tenacious road-holding traction. (Note: PASM, or Porsche Active Suspension Management, is optional on the 911 Carrera and standard on the 911 Carrera S).

Porsche Stability Management is also performance-optimized by raising the thresholds for triggering automatic intervention by the ABS and engine management systems, resulting in a more natural response, but less forgiving to lateral and longitudinal g-forces.

A digital/analog timer mounted on the center dashboard keeps score, measuring time as deftly as the 911 concept transcends it.

To help you gauge your 911’s performance in a more exacting manner, a digital/analog stopwatch tracks time from hours down to hundredths of a second. Driving times can be recorded for any stretch of road, and benchmark times can be defined.

Stopwatch functions are operated using a control stalk mounted to the side of the steering wheel, and data is continuously fed to an on-board computer integrated into the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system.

A second digital display located on the instrument cluster gives your eyes another option for viewing time information, while the PCM display lets you analyze detailed performance data at your leisure. The system records and displays the time and distance traveled on the current segment, number of segments completed with respective times and the fastest segment. Other useful features include a memory function controlled via the PCM system which can store a range of personal preferences."

Someone posted this from porsche's official website when the 997 was the premier model.

Says SC affects both PSM threshold, and engine maps. However, does not affect power at all.

Interesting. I have SC but haven't retrofitted yet. Maybe I will.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:11 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Nobody said 'better'. Quite a few have said "more fun to drive".

And again for the 1,000th time, you can put it back into stock mapping with a finger press if you don't like it on the track (but you will).
Fair enough. More fun is certainly subjective.

Snake oil to me = no true objective performance gain, when it is claimed (such as with this product).

So, to me it is snake oil. I'd spend the $300 on something else. Like a tire.

Sport Chrono has a few changes to PSM/Engine mapping for responsiveness, so perhaps that is an objective improvement. In-fact, $300 is the cost porsche dealer in Austin quoted me to install my SC.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:16 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Using Sport on an E46M3 I found myself flooring it in 3rd to use the remaining throttle to merge into a lane of traffic. Problem was there was no further acceleration available in that gear, just a lot of unused foot movement. Embarrassingly non linear and a bit scary. Never used it again.

There is a case for a Porsche map that is better, more lively, than stock but not as aggressive as the Sport setting. I found that the settings of my Ecu mod were a great compromise and did indeed make the driving experience more fun. Haven't touched Sport since. Surely no should need both an Ecu mod and this add on patch.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:17 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Fair enough. More fun is certainly subjective.

Snake oil to me = no true objective performance gain, when it is claimed (such as with this product).

So, to me it is snake oil. I'd spend the $300 on something else. Like a tire.

Sport Chrono has a few changes to PSM/Engine mapping for responsiveness, so perhaps that is an objective improvement. In-fact, $300 is the cost porsche dealer in Austin quoted me to install my SC.
If you can get Sport Chrono put on your car for $300 all in, you should absolutely do it. Are you sure that isn't just the labor price on top of the $900 (at a discount) kit which includes the software license and button? Price is typically around $1,100 to get Sport Chrono software mode retrofitted with parts, license and labor. Doesn't include the stopwatch/dash wart which really does nothing anyway.

Here's the 997 Sport Chrono kit at Suncoast....
http://suncoastparts.com/product/9X7SM.html

Personally, I wouldn't own a 997/987/991 without Sports Chrono. At least on the 997 gen cars, you can add the software easily. Not so on the 991 gen cars. And again, I like the Sprint Booster on top of Sports Chrono / Sports mode for the additional throttle remap.

And back to the Sprint Booster... Where do they claim an 'objective performance gain'? They are very up front about what it does. They don't claim quicker accelration or more horsepower. They don't claim better gas mileage. They don't claim it will solve world hunger or create world peace. They do claim you will enjoy driving your car more with it, or give you the purchase price back.

I've never driven a Sprint Booster on a BMW. Maybe it really sucks. I have driven 996/987/997 cars with Sprint Booster and have absolutely nothing negative to say about it, other than I wish it was cheaper.

Last edited by pfbz; 09-16-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:20 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

If you can get Sport Chrono put on your car for $300, you should absolutely do it.

Are you sure that isn't just the labor price on top of the $900 kit which includes the software license and button?

http://suncoastparts.com/product/9X7SM.html

Personally, I wouldn't own a 997/987/991 without Sports Chrono. At least on the 997 gen cars, you can add the software easily. Not so on the 991 gen cars.
I've been tracking it without and really loved it so far. It will be fun to see how much less the PSM intrudes with sport chrono. Though when I track I disable PSM anyways (not sure how much it still intrudes afterwards).

You are correct, $300 was their labor cost. I already have the software license and button at home.

As for Sprint Booster; their website claims there is a delay in throttle on these cars. That just isn't the case with the 997 with a 6MT. Adding a booster isn't going to reduce the time of the signal to accelerate.

Maybe some of the cars they sell it for that have slush boxes.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:38 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Pretty sure if you installed the SB along with an IPD plenum and removed the cats, you'd gain about 100 HP. Better yet, switch your oil to Motul, and you'll gain 105.

At least that's what I thought about doing, and my imaginary butt-dyno swore those numbers were accurate.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:54 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

You are correct, $300 was their labor cost. I already have the software license and button at home.
Install the button yourself and see if you can find a shop to charge you a minimum hour charge to just connect their PIWIS and turn everything on. Should only actually take them 15 or 20 minute or so.

It's ironic how $300 for a plug-and-play Sprint Booster is considered overpriced, but $300 for a dealer to install a button (20 minutes) and load some software (another 20 minutes, mostly unattended). is not.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:07 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Install the button yourself and see if you can find a shop to charge you a minimum hour charge to just connect their PIWIS and turn everything on. Should only actually take them 15 or 20 minute or so.

It's ironic how $300 for a plug-and-play Sprint Booster is considered overpriced, but $300 for a dealer to install a button (20 minutes) and load some software (another 20 minutes, mostly unattended). is not.
believe me the installation price is absolutely stupid. I've called the only people with piwis that I know of in Austin and they all charge 1.5 hours which comes to around $300.00

hence why why I haven't installed it yet; based on principle ! Lol

if people like the sprint booster more power to them. Just like I say with other mods that change the car in a subjective way.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:56 PM
nismosd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for Sprint Booster; their website claims there is a delay in throttle on these cars. That just isn't the case with the 997 with a 6MT.
In my case with a 997.2 6mt, I was like you very skeptical on this actual product but there was delay on the throttle response that i didn't like. The SB actually helped it quite a bit, I'm suggesting that you buy and try then return it if you don't like it. Not many electronic performance products offer this kind of policy, at least try it once and then give us your opinion.

A while back, I ask in a thread if any performance software companies would offer the 30 days money back then i would be a buyer, well none replied lol.

Quick Reply: Snake oil or not?? Sprint Booster