Sponsored by:

Snake oil or not?? Sprint Booster

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 07:47 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

This might be a better example...

Stock Porsche mapping feels like 'Comfortable' to me..

Sprint Booster has multiple modes, to me they feel more like Linear and Aggressive. You can also switch it back to normal. Rather than just having one throttle mapping, you get the stock mapping plus two more.

This chart is just one I found on the internet and not Porsche or Sprint Booster specific, but is pretty much spot-on conceptually.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:49 PM
mpath
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
as has been posted. not faster, or better performance. just earlier throttle response.
Ding, ding! Yup. Company is owned by Mini Mania. And it works more or less the same way as the "sport" button on Minis (I've had three of them).
Old 09-15-2016, 07:55 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
This might be a better example...

Stock Porsche mapping feels like 'Comfortable' to me..

Sprint Booster has multiple modes, to me they feel more like Linear or Aggressive. You can also switch it back to normal......
OK, then this may be an inexpensive alternative to Softronic ECU tune if throttle respond is all you are after and that you don't plan on having any other mod like header, CAT pipe, muffler, Intake, etc.....

When you hit the Porsche Sport button, it gives boost on top of boost so it is hyper sensitive?? ....hum....

Last edited by lowbee; 09-15-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:06 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowbee
OK, then this may be an inexpensive alternative to Softronic ECU tune if throttle respond is all you are after and that you don't plan on having any other mod like header, CAT pipe, muffler, Intake, etc.....
Exactly. It really should be more like $100, but even for $300, to me, it has immediate driving pleasure impact. Plus, other than the hassle of cramming yourself down into the footwell, it installs (and uninstalls) in minutes.

So what will Sprint Booster do when you hit the Porsche Sport button ? Does it give boost on top of boost so it is hyper sensitive ?
Yes, SB remapping on top of sport mapping. To me, not hyper-sensitive, certainly not uncontrollable. I drove in exactly that mode almost all of the time. Since you can A/B back and forth between modes on both the Sport button and Sprint Booster button with just a finger press, it's really easy to feel the difference and decide what you like best. If you find you like stock mapping best, or feel that the SB mappings don't improve the feel enough to warrant the price, take it out and send it back. But I bet you won't!
Old 09-15-2016, 08:11 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

I find the Porsche sport button is great for the track but too sensitive on the street (yep driving in traffic a lot)....but the stock (non-sport) is not sensitive enough on the street so I would be happy with something that's between stock and sport for the street....so what setting is that for Sprint Booster ? Green (sport) or Red (race) ?
Old 09-15-2016, 08:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

SC does more than throttle curve profile. It changes engine mapping too.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:53 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

What are the chances that this device could malfunction and suddenly activate your throttle (like the whole Prius accelerator fiasco)?
Old 09-15-2016, 09:21 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
What are the chances that this device could malfunction and suddenly activate your throttle (like the whole Prius accelerator fiasco)?
Probably less than being struck by lightning while your fighting off a shark attack...
Old 09-15-2016, 09:25 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowbee
I find the Porsche sport button is great for the track but too sensitive on the street (yep driving in traffic a lot)....but the stock (non-sport) is not sensitive enough on the street so I would be happy with something that's between stock and sport for the street....so what setting is that for Sprint Booster ? Green (sport) or Red (race) ?
They make many flavors of ice cream, one for everybody.

Personally, I couldn't stand driving the car in non-sport mode in any traffic conditions. I like a *responsive* throttle. Usually sport + green but often sport + race. If you like the soft mapping on the street, you might not like the SB mapping. Biut again, maybe non-sport plus green SB would be a happy medium, with a remapped throttle but not remapped engine parameters?

As for it being a limited time effect while your brain remaps, that simply isn't the case. Having several inches of highly responsive throttle travel vs. maybe 1/3 that amount isn't a short term effect.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:43 PM
exgtinows4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have had SB in my two M5s and now in my X5. It does absolutely help take some lag out of the dbw mechanics of throttle response. I am a bit skeptical of its impact when you already have a sports button that does the same thing...Anyone with SC love this on top of the sports functionality?
Old 09-15-2016, 10:48 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by exgtinows4
Anyone with SC love this on top of the sports functionality?
...again, yes.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:42 AM
Makosurf
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

So you're saying it's like turning the volume to 11 ??
Old 09-16-2016, 03:16 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Probably less than being struck by lightning while your fighting off a shark attack...
The 89 people who have died in Toyota "unintended acceleration" accidents would beg to differ. Before I install a 3rd party circuit in-line with the drive-by-wire throttle system in my car, I'd like to know how the manufacturer knows it's safe? Chip and circuits in an automobile typically have to go through heat/cold and vibration tests - what about this circuit?
Old 09-16-2016, 11:29 AM
Long Islander1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a Sport button or a fancy S model like all you.

So, I'll Amazon this and report back next week
Old 09-16-2016, 12:28 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
The 89 people who have died in Toyota "unintended acceleration" accidents would beg to differ. Before I install a 3rd party circuit in-line with the drive-by-wire throttle system in my car, I'd like to know how the manufacturer knows it's safe? Chip and circuits in an automobile typically have to go through heat/cold and vibration tests - what about this circuit?
Toyota had a problem with a few floor mats and loads of totally inept drivers. Just as in the Audi situation, THERE WAS NO UNINTENDED ACCELERATION PROBLEM.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-scare-feature

I apologize in advance to the OP for getting off track here, but I hate it when stupid myths are perpetuated.
The following users liked this post:
Kodos9865 (08-16-2023)

Quick Reply: Snake oil or not?? Sprint Booster