Sponsored by:

Snake oil or not?? Sprint Booster

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 12:41 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
SC does more than throttle curve profile. It changes engine mapping too.
Funny because the manufacturer says it is a throttle modification, period
Old 09-16-2016, 12:49 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
SC does more than throttle curve profile. It changes engine mapping too.
You keep saying this and you are totally wrong. No it does not change engine mapping i.e. A/F ratio, timing. period.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:20 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Old 09-16-2016, 02:11 PM
nismosd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the SB for a few months and it's worth every penny. I bought it with the intention of returning it if I didn't like it. Well to my surprise, i drive on green mode all the time now. I reverted to stock a couple of times to see and it's horrible. Not for everyone but if you have good pedal control then it's awesome.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:19 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by nismosd
.....Not for everyone but if you have good pedal control then it's awesome.
I argue the SB is for people who lacks good pedal control, frame suit on. You want to go faster, hit the pedal harder.... Talk to anyone or instructor who drive on a track on a regular basis, they will tell you they don't even turn on the Sport button.....but to each its own....
Not saying I have better pedal control if I don't want SB....
I want something else (maybe Softronic) but just not SB
Old 09-16-2016, 02:44 PM
nismosd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
I argue the SB is for people who lacks good pedal control, frame suit on. You want to go faster, hit the pedal harder.... Talk to anyone or instructor who drive on a track on a regular basis, they will tell you they don't even turn on the Sport button.....but to each its own....
Not saying I have better pedal control if I don't want SB....
I want something else (maybe Softronic) but just not SB
The SB can be very sensitive at the first initial press hence my throttle comment. The SB might be counterproductive for track driving but for the street it's a total enjoyment.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:45 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

so I have to ask is this just beneficial for a Car with PDK / Tiptronic or does a Car with MT benefit from this.

Just wondering
Old 09-16-2016, 04:01 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

It's not a gimmick. I bought this for my BMW 550i e60 (2006). For some reason that car's throttle response was laggy. It made a significant improvement.

That car is long gone (sold it in 2010). My 997.2 PDK with sport chrono seems fine, same with all my other cars so never felt the need to purchase another sprint booster.

If they started selling it for non drive by wire cars then I'd start to question it....ha
Old 09-16-2016, 04:16 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

So here is how I think SB work if I were to design it myself. The SB currently intercept the digital signal from the gas pedal to the ECU. The data the gas pedal sensors are sending to the ECU include these 2 parameters: (1) rate of change (2) pedal position. So what the SB does is intercepting the original signal then add a multiplication factor (say 1.25) before forwarding these data to the ECU; thus, exaggerated your pedal effort to trick the ECU into opening the throttle faster and bigger.

SB of course won't work for non drive-by-wire cars as said by @3Series above.....Now, for $300, I want it to be universal meaning I can use it in my Audi one day and plug it into my Porsche another day. If that capability is missing, I personally won't buy it for more than $150

Last edited by lowbee; 09-16-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:41 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
You keep saying this and you are totally wrong. No it does not change engine mapping i.e. A/F ratio, timing. period.
Oh, but it does... per the manufacturer (german factory connection) SC does engine mapping and stability management threshold changes.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:45 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

SB = Sport Booster
SC = Sport Chrono ??

Are you guys talking about the same thing ?
Old 09-16-2016, 04:53 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Food for thought: fact, more travel in pedal for acceleration is = more points to refine throttle inputs.

also fact: more ability to refine throttle inputs means greater ability to control car.

= long pedal as long as you can reasonably actuate it is better for track/anything requiring sensitive inputs.

rain driving, especially on track, requires significantly smooth and subtle inputs. This sb would technically make that more difficult.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:53 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

It's amazing how many people can have such strong opinions about something they have never personally experienced... I guess that's just the way of the internet.

The *only* possible issue IMHO with the Sprint Booster is the cost. Remember you can still switch to stock mapping once it is installed. Is $300 overpriced? Sure, but not nearly as overpriced as some of the exhaust systems, x-pipes, and steering wheels, and other aftermarket stuff folks routinely bolt on to their Porsches. And considering it's easy to install and easy to return, seems like it's also easy to figure out for yourself if it's worth $300 to you by trying it, not speculating on how it might or might not improve your driving experience.

And the SB does NOT reduce the travel of the pedal... 100% throttle is still 100% depression. 0% throttle is 0% depression. It doesn't hit 100% until you are fully depressed. As it seems painfully obvious from past discussion in this thread, it changes the CURVE from a lazy exponential curve to more of a linear or logorithmic curve. It is not, for me, harder to drive on the track. It is not, for me, harder to drive in the rain. But if you install it and you find you don't like the modified curves in certain driving conditions, a quick finger press and your back to stock.

Holy crap, why is this so hard to grasp?
Old 09-16-2016, 05:02 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's hard to grasp because it is gimmicky on every other car I've driven, and my 997.2 carrera S with no sport chrono must be different than yours because the pedal feels preety damn linear.

also, different for you does not equal better or worse.

that is anecdotal. My point is, if this truly makes the pedal go "more" linear I'd be surprised. But the only way this is better on a technical basis as not a personal one is if it allows for more linear acceleration with the same amount of input points.

but really I don't think it does as I've driven these before.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:36 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alexandrius
It's hard to grasp because it is gimmicky on every other car I've driven, and my 997.2 carrera S with no sport chrono must be different than yours because the pedal feels preety damn linear.

also, different for you does not equal better or worse.

that is anecdotal. My point is, if this truly makes the pedal go "more" linear I'd be surprised. But the only way this is better on a technical basis as not a personal one is if it allows for more linear acceleration with the same amount of input points.

but really I don't think it does as I've driven these before.

So in summary, you haven't tried it on your own or anyone else's 911, but your sure you won't like it and can't imagine why someone else would?

If Porsche offered an option with three throttle mappings controlled by a switch in addition to Sports Chrono, how many would tick that box?

Do folks without Sport Chrono miss that feature if they have never driven a car with Sports Chrono mapping? Probably not. Just as it sounds like you don't miss having alternative throttle mappings that you've never tried.

Quick Reply: Snake oil or not?? Sprint Booster