Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N oil filter - anybody used one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 10:13 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have done a fair amount of research on this very issue when deciding on a filter for my .2. Ended up with Mann/Mahle. The other easily available quality alternatives were/are K&N, Wix, Fram, and Bosch. The Wix and K&N, from my research, had a lower filtering efficiency than the German OEM alternatives. I can't remember specific numbers but if you troll BITOG you will find them. Neither filter is held in high regard as to cannister filters. If Fram made an Ultra fitment for our cars I would use it as those are excellent filters (99%+ filtering efficiency at 20 microns, synthetic filter media, mesh backing to prevent deformation of media, etc) but IIRC Fram only produces an Extra Guard filter in our fitment which is not as well built. I didn't do too much looking into the Bosch because it is fairly difficult to source and is more expensive than the OEM Mann/Mahle alternatives which (since they are made in Germany and are not made in the USA which indicates it is an inferior filter rebranded as a German brand) are pretty highly regarded on BITOG. I will say I used a Wix cannister type filter insert on a VW that I have and it seemed to do fine but, after reading the negative reviews on BITOG, I went back to a Mann filter for that application. The draw of Wix to me is that I have an O Reillys nearby that stocks Wix filters. As I don't live near a Porsche (or VW for that matter) dealership, it is the only filter that I can source locally that will fit the car. However, when compared with ordering a Mann filter off Ebay, there isn't much cost savings vs walking into O Reillys and buying a Wix filter.

I obsess over these things.

Edit: to clarify, when I say cannister I mean an insert or cartridge filter as opposed to a spin on filter.

Last edited by phaphaphooey; 08-15-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:58 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,599 Likes on 4,196 Posts

As a point of information, Jake from Flat 6 Innovations recommends Napa, K&N, or Mobil 1 filters be used with the LN Engineering spin-on oil filter adapter, though this is not available for the DFI vehicles. I use K&Ns canister oil filters on all my cars (including my 2 997.1s) for which they are available and have been pleased with the results. I also use a K&N cartridge filter for my Cayenne Turbo S.

Because the K&N canister filters have a nut welded onto the bottom so they can be installed and removed using a socket (which is a very nice feature BTW), if you're a believer in attaching a magnet to your canister oil filter to help trap any minute ferrous debris, it needs to be the curved type that attaches to the side, like Filtermag, also available from the LN Engineering site, not the flat kind that attaches to the bottom.
Old 07-30-2023, 04:00 PM
Cayenn2009
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Filter 9000 mile review

For Cayenne 2009 base. Used KN back to back for total 19000 miles without any issues. Will buy this brand for all my cars in future
Old 07-30-2023, 08:07 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,599 Likes on 4,196 Posts

Still using K&N oil filters on my 997s, Cayenne, GMC pickup, Audi Q5, & wakeboat. Great UOA reports
Old 08-02-2023, 11:28 AM
SSMOKE-U
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 79 Posts

Being in the business, I can say K&N filters are plentiful and reasonably priced. That said, I wouldn’t trust it in any of my vehicles after seeing some comparison tests. When you’re talking about an oil filter for a German car I usually lean toward Mann if it’s available my second choice would be Mahle or OEM branded filter and then Mobil 1. A quality filter is cheap insurance.
The following users liked this post:
KJR50 (08-02-2023)

Quick Reply: K&N oil filter - anybody used one?