Sponsored by:

Some questions from a new owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 07:19 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Nope, you can't even check a .1 cars oil when it's hot as you have to wait for the countdown after you turn it off for the oil to run back down into the pan, but it all doesn't run down during that countdown period, so the reading will almost always be low and if it reads full at this warm reading it's actually overfull. I've been through both Jake Raby's 101 information and 102 engine deconstruction and rebuild classes and know what I'm talking about on the M96 and M97 motors, but you can ignore my recommendation and do what you like.

[QUOTE=RaidersR1;13524583]
Originally Posted by Petza914
Oil level in the .1 cars should be checked cold, like first thing in the morning every day.]

Not what I've been told AND not what I've experienced in my .1. Always at temp!! Cold is not the accurate reading. You might want to check that.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:29 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, you can't even check a .1 cars oil when it's hot as you have to wait for the countdown after you turn it off for the oil to run back down into the pan, but it all doesn't run down during that countdown period, so the reading will almost always be low and if it reads full at this warm reading it's actually overfull. I've been through both Jake Raby's 101 information and 102 engine deconstruction and rebuild classes and know what I'm talking about on the M96 and M97 motors, but you can ignore my recommendation and do what you like.
I'm not going to pull my other thread, but I was having questions about my oil usage. I'm told to check when oil is warm or at temp. My Indy says the same. Darin at FD Motorsports. I'm no pro at cars and I don't have any knowledge of Jake Raby. Guess he is a well known P guy. We can agree to disagree. I'm checking when it's warm.

The countdown is 9 min when it's real hot but only 2 min after a few minutes of cool down. My choice I guess.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:24 PM
rickster997
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:51 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Jake Raby founded and owns Flat 6 Innovations. He's the guy that disected the M96/M97 motors, figured out their weak spots, and offers the solutions for them, including the IMS replacement bearings and The IMS Solution. He's partners with Charles Navarro from LN Engineering and Tony Callas from Callas Rennsport in LA (Tony was a Porsche Motorsports crew chief too). If you don't know who these guys are and what they've contributed to the care and feeding of these motors, as well as the upgraded rebuild options, you have some reading to do.

Originally Posted by RaidersR1
I'm not going to pull my other thread, but I was having questions about my oil usage. I'm told to check when oil is warm or at temp. My Indy says the same. Darin at FD Motorsports. I'm no pro at cars and I don't have any knowledge of Jake Raby. Guess he is a well known P guy. We can agree to disagree. I'm checking when it's warm.

The countdown is 9 min when it's real hot but only 2 min after a few minutes of cool down. My choice I guess.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:55 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jake Raby founded and owns Flat 6 Innovations. He's the guy that disected the M96/M97 motors, figured out their weak spots, and offers the solutions for them, including the IMS replacement bearings and The IMS Solution. He's partners with Charles Navarro from LN Engineering and Tony Callas from Callas Rennsport in LA (Tony was a Porsche Motorsports crew chief too). If you don't know who these guys are and what they've contributed to the care and feeding of these motors, as well as the upgraded rebuild options, you have some reading to do.

Good for Jake. I love my car but it doesn't rule my life and take it over to be that involved as you. I will enjoy my car for what it is and when there is an issue have Darin resolve it for me. Got other things to do then worry about others lives and what they have or have done with Porsches. If you enjoy that...great. Everyone has a hobby.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:11 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

Lighten up Francis....

Quick Reply: Some questions from a new owner