Sponsored by:

I am really looking for an '09 or a little newer, but this is local

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 11:58 PM
gg1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am really looking for an '09 or a little newer, but this is local

This is my first post. I have been reading a lot here. After reading, I really want an '09 or newer, but want to be under $50K. I know they are out there, but this car keeps coming up on my searches. What do you folks think about it? I am worried about the two big problems with the earlier models. The IMS and cylinder bore scoring. This car looks nice, but do I really want to deal with the issues? Also the power is better in '09.

Thanks for your thoughts. This car is very local for me. Advice? I am not in a hurry at all, so fall/winter is on my side.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/5686363535.html
Old 08-06-2016, 02:49 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good for you that realizing that sports cars (especially convertible sports cars) take a dip in the fall/winter. Picking out the perfect 911 is personal, like jewelry to woman or watches to a guy. If the car 'calls to you' schedule a PPI and grab it....or wait till the snow starts flying and offer lower.

I paid more than retail for my perfect 911. Heck, Ive paid more than asking a couple of times for cars that were perfect in my mind.

FWIW, anything after 2006 eliminates the IMS and bore scoring can be eliminated with a good PPI, so dont discard some 997.1 gems.

After owing 7 911's over the years, I wanted a 997 C4S manual in White Tan. I looked nation wide and jumped on the first one that was local and passed a PPI.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:30 AM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gg1
This is my first post. I have been reading a lot here. After reading, I really want an '09 or newer, but want to be under $50K. I know they are out there, but this car keeps coming up on my searches. What do you folks think about it? I am worried about the two big problems with the earlier models. The IMS and cylinder bore scoring. This car looks nice, but do I really want to deal with the issues? Also the power is better in '09.

Thanks for your thoughts. This car is very local for me. Advice? I am not in a hurry at all, so fall/winter is on my side.

I got my 2009 C2 for $52k with 28,000 miles on it about 2 years ago. What spec are you looking for S?
Old 08-06-2016, 12:05 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

The 2008 997 is a wonderful car, so I wouldn't write it off just because it's a first generation 997. If it has all the options that you like, the color that you like, and it is mechanically sound, then it might be a great buy. That being said, there are some very nice updates in the second generation 997, aside from the DFI engine. Some updates are cosmetic like the LED lighting. Some are functional.

Ultimately, I would prefer a good example of a 997.1 to a questionable example of a 997.2 if everything else was equal.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:18 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

when you find a car, get a carfax, get it inspected at a dealer (cpo inspection) get all the service repair records porsche has.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:38 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

It would seem if in the 50k range you would want an '09 or later. You can get not only the new MA1 motor with no IMS and DFI but throw in PDK and a few goodies. My last P car was an '06 Cayman S. It turned out to be super dependable but I did invest in an after market policy. With the 997.2 S I didn't feel it was needed. Porsche got the M97 much more dependable than the M96 but in the end, they did do away with the IMS. For the same $, why stay old school?
A lot of nice 911s out there, be picky. I looked for 5 months and actually pulled the trigger a couple of months earlier than was planning. However, when find the "right" example it will scream at you. If you have some basic mechanical doubts, then don't. Wait.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:46 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I agree with the preceding posts, for the same or nearly same money, get the newer car, even if it is a somewhat lower trim level. But, in the final analysis maintenance records and inspection results trump all...T
Old 08-06-2016, 06:23 PM
gg1
Advanced

Thanks for the input. I wasn't really thinking I want a convertible, but I haven't driven in one with the top up. I suspect there would have to be a little wind noise in comparison to a hardtop, correct? I also want a manual transmission, just personal preference and I know that can be a heated debate. I am older, so I don't need to debate it. I don't care if the car is an S, or 4S. AWD would be kind of nice I suspect. My current car is an Audi A4 and I enjoy it a lot. Not a lot of power, but is has a good German feel and is stable for a sedan especially in rain and snow.

The car I drive will be driven as a daily much of the time, but I will keep my sedan that has AWD, so I don't know if the Porsche will see snow.

Is the S or 4S louder? Not into a super loud car. 345hp is plenty really, but lets face it, if an S comes along and I like it, I will buy it. I really don't care for modifications on my cars and prefer good stock wheels if possible.

Anyway, I can't travel too far due to work at the moment, so my search is sort of limited. In the fall I can travel to get the car I want and have no problem buying something in Texas for example and driving it back to Pittsburgh.

Thanks again for your thoughts. This would be my first Porsche.

A story of my first ride in a Porsche if you would be interested, keep reading. I was in college and asked someone that owned one if I could have a ride in it sometime. He said sure. He had a 930T, but gave that to his brother, so this one was a Carrera. Probably about an '83-'85. Anyway we were going about 85mph coming up on a bend and I was thinking to myself, if this car can make it around this bend at this speed, it would be the most amazing car I have ever been in. Well we were entering the bend and hit some sand in the road and he lost control. We hit some bushes and then spun around and I was looking at a telephone pole coming towards me and it hit right behind my door and the wire came down on the car. He calmly looked over at me and asked "Are you okay?" I said yes and he blamed himself and then said, I should have got a Ferrari. Yes, he was extremely wealthy and from Saudi. lol He got another Porsche, so he seemed to like them and could afford whatever he wanted. Anyway, that was a long time ago, but my first ride in a Porsche. It was memorable. lol
Old 08-06-2016, 07:26 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

From one old guy to another, I can appreciate wanting what you want. I just turned 68. Sold the business and retired end of last year. The Cayman S was a 6 speed, my daily driver and would not have considered a Triptronic at the time. This one is P car #7. Might be my last. Wife says it is.
This time had to be the PDK, the technology was just too fascinating. The S was not necessary but a list of options was. I think you have it right.
When a teen I got a lot of rides in Porsches back in the 356 days. My best bud's dad was shop manager at Dallas orginal dealership, then my bud spent most of his life as a Porsche tech. In fact he went with me to check out the 997.2 I bought last month. In the end, like all things in life, the hunt is as good as the goal.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:00 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Own Goal
From one old guy to another, I can appreciate wanting what you want. I just turned 68. Sold the business and retired end of last year. The Cayman S was a 6 speed, my daily driver and would not have considered a Triptronic at the time. This one is P car #7. Might be my last. Wife says it is.
This time had to be the PDK, the technology was just too fascinating. The S was not necessary but a list of options was. I think you have it right.
When a teen I got a lot of rides in Porsches back in the 356 days. My best bud's dad was shop manager at Dallas orginal dealership, then my bud spent most of his life as a Porsche tech. In fact he went with me to check out the 997.2 I bought last month. In the end, like all things in life, the hunt is as good as the goal.
^^ ... loved this ... put me in the 'old guy' camp ... aging, it beats the alternative
Old 08-06-2016, 08:11 PM
mpath
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

I have those Champion wheels as well. Noticeable lighter than my OEM Sport Design, but won't take winters well so get a second set if you're planning to drive it all year.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:30 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by captainbaker
Good for you that realizing that sports cars (especially convertible sports cars) take a dip in the fall/winter. Picking out the perfect 911 is personal, like jewelry to woman or watches to a guy. If the car 'calls to you' schedule a PPI and grab it....or wait till the snow starts flying and offer lower.

I paid more than retail for my perfect 911. Heck, Ive paid more than asking a couple of times for cars that were perfect in my mind.

FWIW, anything after 2006 eliminates the IMS and bore scoring can be eliminated with a good PPI, so dont discard some 997.1 gems.

After owing 7 911's over the years, I wanted a 997 C4S manual in White Tan. I looked nation wide and jumped on the first one that was local and passed a PPI.

FIFY:

FWIW, anything after 2009 eliminates the IMS
Old 08-09-2016, 01:31 AM
gg1
Advanced

Thanks for the input. I am actively looking for a 2009 or newer. I think I will get one for around $43K as I wait for my car. Winter is on its way and I will just wait. Total cash buyer.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:42 PM
gg1
Advanced

Ah this car just is sitting there. Like to color, manual, and pretty much everything except the aftermarket wheels, which I never like all that much, but I guess I could look for a set of stock wheels Anyway, what is a good price for this car?

Old 08-12-2016, 10:36 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Hmm 2008 cabrio C42, lower miles, manual, full leather, Sport Chrono, base power seats. Seems maybe 5-7k too high from my prior experience but I wasn't looking at cabrio's. Seemed like 997.1 were 35k then add 4k per cabrio, S model and all wheel drive. Looks like buyer put an intake tube on it, did they modify anything else?

I was looking at a 997.2 only but then a local 997.1 happened with everything I wanted. Don't feel like I settled a year later, still love everything about it.

Quick Reply: I am really looking for an '09 or a little newer, but this is local