Sponsored by:

Need some advice regarding my 997.2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 07:09 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Need some advice regarding my 997.2 GTS

so bear with me my fellow 997 owners..........really need some advice.

I currently own a 2011 997.2 GTS cab/PDK in immaculate condition with only 9957 miles that I'm considering selling/trading in.
The car rides incredibly well and it's seen 1/2 track day where I got a chance to test it out a bit without wearing it out-- hence it has everything stock still.
The only mods are a clear bra instaleed by Porsche and black stone guards along with sides.

I'm a newbie to driving a manual, btw........after all these years, I've made the decision that it's a must for me to learn it well and get comfortable with it, and as such I'm thinking about 'converting' to a 6 speed........ but here's where I need some advice:

I love the look and platform of the 997.2-- and I'm not ready to switch to a 991 7 speed manual, nor am I crazy about the idea of a Boxter, as fun of a car as that may be to drive (and perhaps I need to give more thought to a boxter GTS).

I live in a place where I just haven't driven my GTS very much (in Louisiana), mostly because of our bad roads and the stiffer suspension of the GTS. which is not something I considered/thought through well before I bought the car. I drive mostly on weekends with the top down. If I lived back in California, this wouldn't be nearly the same issue.

Then there's the issue of wanting own a 6 speed for at least 2-3 years before deciding if I want to go back to PDK. As I'm only realizing as newbie manual driver, you can't really appreciate the joys of PDK until you first understand a manual (better late than never, right?).

So that led to me think -- should I sell my GTS outright or trade it in for a 997.2 C4 or C4S cab? Why a C4 instead of a C2 you ask? Because I love the wide body look and the AWD platform seems to make sense for a new 997 manual driver like myself....... I want that stability (and the 997.2 seems to be a better AWD platform than the 997.1's). And yes, I do want a cab.
The problem is that I don't have any C4 or C4S's around me to drive as a comparison-- instead I've ASSUMED that the suspension is going to be more forgiving.

I've contacted a few dealers around the country and one of them wants to make a deal on a 997.2 C4S with a lot of miles on it that's been driven a lot in Michigan, which concerns me (rust, salt, etc) -- it has more than 71K miles on it, and it's priced in the mid to high $40k's.
There are other C4's and C4S's but they are pretty high priced for being low mileage, so financially I'm not really coming out 'ahead' given what I owed (and just paid off) on my GTS.

However, today I spoke with a new acquaintance who advised me not to make this trade from my GTS into a C4 or C4S, stating that the suspension won't be appreciably different from my GTS (which has PASM)......this actually came as a bit of shock to me.
He said that while I'll get my 6 speed fix, I'll be regretting my decision in 6 months time, going from a much more fun car to a car that won't be nearly as fun to drive, and that won't give me the trade off I'm looking for, comfort-wise on our roads.

There is a local 2006 Cayman S whose history I know well, and another option may be to buy this car outright (it's in the low $20k's) and get comfortable with a 6 speed with this car and then decide in a couple of years if I want to 'go back' to PDK based on this experience, or stick with manuals moving forward, which raises a whole different debate, based on whether it's better to have PDK in any case with all the new turbo platforms on the 718's and 991.2's.

I'm not sure if I should keep my GTS for now and be patient and in the meantime pick up the Cayman S to drive around in ........Or should I make the move to a low mileage C4 or C4S and sell/trade the GTS, and forego having to pay insurance on 3 cars (my SUV, the GTS, and the cayman).
If it's not going to be a better daily car to drive on iffy roads, I'm not sure the trade off in performance will make sense, despite the fun I'll probably have getting acclimated to and enjoying a 6 speed.

Thoughts?
Old 06-25-2016, 07:33 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

You currently own a beautiful car. I'd be very careful trading it out due to seller's remorse.

The roads near you suck. You can't change that. But you can test drive some other candidates on your roads to compare suspensions. Do this before deciding your path.

MT vs. PDK is a tough one too. Plenty of love in both camps. Since you are new to driving a MT, maybe pickup a beater car with a MT to gain experience. Think small two seater, probably open top. S2000 perhaps? Then after a few months decide if a MT is worth it for you. Next would be test driving MT 911's to make the decision you seek - keep your current GTS or trade for some other 911. Then the hunt for the perfect car. Once you find it you can sell the beater and maybe trade the GTS for the perfect car. This path will take you most of the summer if not longer but avoids the impending seller's remorse.

Being a MT owner my money says you move into a MT GTS with similar options to what you have now - wide body rear but 2WD and manual. Gotta love it!
Old 06-25-2016, 08:13 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Coming from someone who didn't know how to drive manual until 2 years ago, before any purchase, search for an instructor, pay for a Stick shift lesson, and learn the right way. This way you don't have to learn in a friend's car or your own, either of which you can mess up. Also the instructor will be able to explain everything correctly and won't lose patience like a friend will. I went from no skills, to daily driving an older Honda Accord 5 speed for a year, to owning and being able to drive my 997.2S in year 2 of driving MT. Money well spent after years of wanting to learn.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:39 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Life is short……get what you like and can afford. I have a C4S stick and I love it.

It sounds like you already know how to drive a stick and just want to have one to drive and improve. Get the Porsche and use it…...it's not rocket science. Before you know it you'll be good at it.

Don't continue to drive a PDK if every time you get into it you wish it was a stick. There's no enjoyment ion that. GET THE STICK!

IMO there's nothing like a stick! The trade you mention doesn't seem like a good one to me either.

Tom
Old 06-25-2016, 08:39 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 91 Posts

As semicycler noted, plenty of love in both camps, mt and PDK. If you were to have commute traffic to contend with, PDK. I drive a PDK due to a physical impairment suffered in a motorcycle accident. Otherwise, I'd have a mt as I'd had most of my driving life. As good as the PDK is, IMO, it does not offer the driving involvement, the connection that the mt will give you. Firmness of suspension is a far secondary consideration, IMO.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:38 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks to all the responses so far......

....sound advice from all, even if the opinions differ on what to do.

To be clear, I've just started to learn the manual-- first on a 1980 toyota pick up truck, which was fairly tough actually (the clutch was a bit tricky to find the bite point) and then recently some lessons on my friend's vette. He's not a professional instructor, but he is a really really good teacher.

So there's that.

Second, if it was my daily driver in a lot of traffic, I agree, I would stick with PDK without question.

Both ideas posted here are reasonable suggestions-- get what I want now with the stick and ride it out........OR, be smarter about it and make sure I really get good with the stick first (and enjoy it) -- perhaps in a beater car for a year or so-- and then make the decision as to which 911 to get next --PDK or stick.

I guess I'm just concerned about the GTS losing value if I don't make this decision until next year, but that's the risk I have to take, I suppose.

For the poster with the C4S and the other with the GTS coupe, did either of you test drive other 997.2's to compare ride quality?
I'm still not sure if what the guy from the porsche dealership in Houston said was correct-- namely that there wouldn't be much ride quality difference between the GTS and the C4S.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:42 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

997 GTS values are holding steady and slightly rising for the last several months. From the shopping I did before I purchased mine 3 months ago. I've continued to keep a keen eye on the market. You'll not lose money on the car over the next year by holding it, particularly with the low mileage it has.

My GTS has Sport PASM.. and I found the ride to be very firm when I first got the car. After having driven it a lot (6k miles in 3 months) I don't think its too firm anymore. In fact I drive it around in sport plus all the time now. Driving the car often may well change your perception of the ride quality.

Since you're considering having a Cayman in addition to the GTS in order to learn to drive stick.. I'd toss a Miata in the hat as well. The entry fee can be as low as you'd like, and they have an epically good gearbox. Really phenomenal. You can pick up a good NB Miata for 5k, drive it a couple years and sell it for 5k. The values have been holding steady the last several years. I'd argue (and I'm sure it might not be popular).. that a Miata is as good a car and handles as well as a Cayman. It's not as quick, but if the point is to learn to drive a stick with a great gearbox.. then that wont matter.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:18 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

that's not a bad suggestion Fined.......... Of course, your GTS is a coupe, which is a bit more desirable on the used market than cabs, but I think you may be right about just holding onto it for now, especially given that this was the last year they were made in that 997.2 chassis.

I just wish I could get my hands on a C4 or C4S cab for direct comparison to my GTS
Old 06-25-2016, 11:19 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 91 Posts

I agree on the Miata. Great car for this purpose, and much more.

When i had to move from a mt to the PDK, i knew most any car would have a less firm suspension than my 10 year old 996GT3. So, did not test drive other cars. Had made a decision on the GTS, only drove those.

I'd assume the C4S will be heavier, so, drive feel a bit different.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:22 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts

Fined - we have matching GTS's.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:31 PM
Speedvagen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2009 C4S cab in manual and love the drive quality of the MT. I haven't driven the GTS so I can't comment on it. From what I read the feel is a bit 'harsher' as its more track built. But I have no qualms recommending a C4S. And it seems that C4S cabs are holding its values as well.

Out of curiousty, how is your car optioned out and what do you want in a new to you car?
Old 06-26-2016, 03:05 AM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Speedvagen
I have a 2009 C4S cab in manual and love the drive quality of the MT. I haven't driven the GTS so I can't comment on it. From what I read the feel is a bit 'harsher' as its more track built. But I have no qualms recommending a C4S. And it seems that C4S cabs are holding its values as well.

Out of curiousty, how is your car optioned out and what do you want in a new to you car?
Silver with black interior and black GTS lettering on the sides along with black stone guards/PDK/Sport chrono plus/PASM/full alcantera leather package/19" black spyder wheels/clear bra over the entire front and side mirrors done by Porsche/Auto dimming mirrors.......

didn't quite get the second part of your question.....
Old 06-26-2016, 04:22 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS Sully

Nice car

We did! But I've changed out the center locks for a custom set just two days ago.

Name:  IMG_1288_zpsbejiy06p.jpg
Views: 2009
Size:  194.3 KB
Old 06-26-2016, 07:09 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by GTS Sully

Looks like you parked your car in the Study!

Tom
Old 06-26-2016, 07:15 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

I didn't drive other C2Ss to compare ride quality to my C4S cab. I knew I wanted a C-4 since I had 2 other C4s and I needed it for the snow in NJ. Now I live in Naples and the only snow down here is in my hair!

As I recall and this is going back 15years I didn't notice much difference from the 2 to the 4 except the 4 handled much better in the snow.

I honestly don't think I'd waste my money on another car just to learn how to drive a stick better. Just get the Porsche and practice and you'll be fine. If it were me that's what I'd do.

Good Luck.

Tom

Quick Reply: Need some advice regarding my 997.2 GTS