Sponsored by:

Need some advice regarding my 997.2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 08:22 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ten Years
All things considered, why not just learn to drive the PDK GTS "properly," meaning as one would drive a three-pedal manual?

I think you're making the difference out to be much greater than it is. I, and many other PDK owners who were once die-hard manual guys, drive 100% of the time in manual Sport/Sport+. I consider it every bit as "engaging," in its own modern way, as a true old-fashioned manual car; I just don't have to push in a clutch pedal. Sounds like you have yet to learn how to drive the PDK as intended. You're giving the PDK short shrift, when it is capable of so much more than you think, right now. Have you ever studied up on what the PDK is, and how it works? It's truly amazing technology. And it's much more "mechanical" than you think.

If, even after you've learned to extract the most out of your PDK equipped GTS, you still feel the need to own a manual car, then keep the GTS, and pick up a higher mileage Honda S2000 for $16-18,000. That car won't be depreciating much either, as it is itself a future classic. Best of both worlds.
This is something I've thought about.........which is why instead of 'rushing' to get out of my car, it may be best to buy a cheaper manual and see what I can do with it and how I enjoy it, while then translating that to the GTS.......... If after all of that I decide I still want out of the GTS, that would be the smarter decision I think.

Hmmm........
Old 06-28-2016, 10:11 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Manual mode plus sport = only way to drive pdk
Sport plus for the track.. Use the paddles
Old 06-29-2016, 12:34 AM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Life is short……get what you like and can afford. I have a C4S stick and I love it.

It sounds like you already know how to drive a stick and just want to have one to drive and improve. Get the Porsche and use it…...it's not rocket science. Before you know it you'll be good at it.

Don't continue to drive a PDK if every time you get into it you wish it was a stick. There's no enjoyment ion that. GET THE STICK!

IMO there's nothing like a stick! The trade you mention doesn't seem like a good one to me either.

Tom
^^^^This sounds like some pretty good advice! GL
Old 06-29-2016, 01:18 AM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdjones2010
^^^^This sounds like some pretty good advice! GL
What are your driving impressions of the RCF? Very curious about that automatic tranny with the V8 c/w PDK or DCT.
Is it your DD?
Old 06-29-2016, 04:40 AM
Rails
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned a 997 C2 with 18 inch rims and tires and now own a 2011 GTS. Yes it is true that the C2 rides softer than the GTS BUT it is not a world a difference. I suspect the difference between a GTS and C4S will be even smaller. The GTS is a rare breed and your car with its low mileage must be in super clean state so it will be hard to find one again if you do decide to buy another one later on. As many have recommended I would just pony up and buy a nice little stick sports car like the S2000, MX5, BRZ and learn with those vehicles. Buy any of those cars at a decent used price and highly likely you wont lose much when you sell them off later.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:17 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Quick update on my car:

It's listed here and on Autotrader. I may drop the price by another $1500. Hasn't sold yet........... I've placed an order on a M2 in a 6MT.
Not sure if I'll keep my GTS or not, but here's what I've done in the interim:

A patient of mine owns a few car dealerships in town, and he gave me a short term lease on a Subaru WRX in a 6MT. I'll keep it for 3 months and during that time decide if I'll keep my order on the M2 or not. If I love the manual tranny like I suspect, I'll keep the M2 (which should arrive in November).
If not, I'll keep the GTS in PDK.
In addition, the 6MT --like many here have said-- will likely give me a new found appreciation of PDK and what it can do and how maybe to drive it differently moving forward.

Quick note on the WRX: very short gear ratios given the turbo 4 and very rev happy. It also has a very clutch pedal, which means some stalls on the horizon as I get comfortable, but probably a great car to continue to learn on and get comfortable in.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:28 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Best of luck for you in whatever direction you eventually take.

With that said...

I can't imagine, under any circumstances, moving from a GTS down to an M2.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:57 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTS Sully
Best of luck for you in whatever direction you eventually take.

With that said...

I can't imagine, under any circumstances, moving from a GTS down to an M2.
lol....

I hear you Sully.

No one on this forum would think that would be a smart trade-- I get that. But if you read up on the M2, you'll see what an amazing car it is for the money. It's apples and oranges with GTS, which I realize as well-- Posted that on a separate thread (engine, chassis, suspension, all of it).

Second, you have to factor in the PDK to manual move I'm making. If this GTS was a a 6 speed manual, I wouldn't be thinking of 'trading down' to a M2.

Luckily, I'm fortunate enough to be in a position to keep the GTS after I get the M2, if I decide I want the M2 6MT experience and also drive the GTS in PDK. I'm just not sure I want to do that.....
Old 07-30-2016, 08:14 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Originally Posted by bruinmd
lol....

I hear you Sully.

No one on this forum would think that would be a smart trade-- I get that. But if you read up on the M2, you'll see what an amazing car it is for the money. It's apples and oranges with GTS, which I realize as well-- Posted that on a separate thread (engine, chassis, suspension, all of it).

Second, you have to factor in the PDK to manual move I'm making. If this GTS was a a 6 speed manual, I wouldn't be thinking of 'trading down' to a M2.

Luckily, I'm fortunate enough to be in a position to keep the GTS after I get the M2, if I decide I want the M2 6MT experience and also drive the GTS in PDK. I'm just not sure I want to do that.....
Hopefully my post didn't come off wrong. Didn't mean for it to. If you're in position to keep the GTS while adding the M2, then that's the perfect world.

As I posted in another thread, my daily driver is an 2011 335is with the Dinan stage 3 mod installed on the motor. Even this car has the 7-speed DCT on it. I'm done with manual shifting.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:59 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTS Sully
Hopefully my post didn't come off wrong. Didn't mean for it to. If you're in position to keep the GTS while adding the M2, then that's the perfect world.

As I posted in another thread, my daily driver is an 2011 335is with the Dinan stage 3 mod installed on the motor. Even this car has the 7-speed DCT on it. I'm done with manual shifting.

not at all....

Wait a second-- you threw in the towel on a manual tranny?? Can I ask why??

As someone who was a manual guy to start, what is it about PDK that you now love and what is it about rowing your own gears that you don't miss?
Since learning the manual tranny, I can appreciate aspects of PDK that I couldn't before, but it's still not the same-- at least not to me, despite the marvels of sport chrono plus.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:36 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Originally Posted by bruinmd
not at all....

Wait a second-- you threw in the towel on a manual tranny?? Can I ask why??

As someone who was a manual guy to start, what is it about PDK that you now love and what is it about rowing your own gears that you don't miss?
Since learning the manual tranny, I can appreciate aspects of PDK that I couldn't before, but it's still not the same-- at least not to me, despite the marvels of sport chrono plus.
Ha! Buddy, I'm 55 about to turn 56 and every car I've ever owned prior to the '11 335is were manuals. I now am equally thrilled with quick PDK type shifting versus manual and just don't want to go back.

The only exception would be if I ever added a 2nd P-Car to the stable. That would definitely be a 1997 993 C2S with a 6 MT.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:41 PM
04boxster SE
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bruinmd, would you have any interest in a partial trade + cash for a mint-condition 2004 Special Edition Boxster S? This is one of the most sought after first gen boosters. http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=196
I am the second owner and it has just under 25,000 miles. It also has the Bilstein PSS9 fully adjustable suspension (from soft to track with the turn of a ****) and a 6-speed with factory short-shift. I have owned this wonderful car for almost five years, love it and drive it nearly every day in the summer (I live in Seattle). Having recently spent time in a GT3 I am thinking of moving to a 911.

Best regards, Josh

Quick Reply: Need some advice regarding my 997.2 GTS