Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunking coming from under passenger seat WTF…

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 05:16 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Clunking coming from under passenger seat WTF…

Clunking coming from under passenger seat WTF… my Carrera four has been gone through pretty much with a microscope by the dealer and the tech that handles the track cars. Where I live in Dallas the streets are very rough and I hear and feel a clunking beneath the passengers seat. I cannot tell if it is a transmission mount or a item dealing with the seat itself. Anyone have the same experience? My car is a 2006.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:59 PM
awfilms
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Take the seat out and find out if that eliminates the problem. If it does, then you know it's something in the seat. Takes about 5 minutes to do.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:04 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Just unbolt the rails? In my Cayanne you could just do the fronts and tilt the whole seat back…
Old 06-03-2016, 09:24 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,424 Likes on 890 Posts

I had a similar experience with my 996 C4S. It happened under hard accelerating, hard braking, and hard cornering. I also wondered what it could be, and I couldn't figure it out. I finally took the car to my independent Porsche mechanic and they found the problem. It was a full bottle of Arizona Iced Tea rolling around under the seat. This type of thing never occurred to me because I don't eat or drink in the car. One of my sons brought it into the car and it slid under the seat without him realizing it.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:31 AM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 689 Likes on 415 Posts

Lol had same type issue. Son rode in seat, told him adjust as needed. He lowered the seat and reclined. Next day I got in and light "check passenger seat" in dash. Dammit. Moved it forward, moved it back. Had him sit in it and buckle seat belt. Nothing we tried eliminated the warning message. Finally raised the seat and found Ozarka water bottle under it. Just happy didn't crush and make it leak.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:27 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

It's got to be under the car. Seat isn't loose, nothing beneath it. It's almost a knocking feeling created by something heavy, or INSIDE the seat bottom, maybe a motor?
Old 06-05-2016, 07:24 PM
Lahainabry
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My pass seat did a "clunk" noise. They tightened up the mount bolts, 2 were loose, problem solved.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:37 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ALEV8,

Go easy and go cheap.....take out the seat dag nabbit! hahha. But really, it will either confirm or deny the seat and takes 5 minutes to do.

I accidentally tracked down a squeak that I KNEW was coming from the right front. The sound was bouncing and its real source was the little plastic thing in front of the shifter. Point being, your ears are hearing it in one place but it might be coming from another. I would go in the Frunk to remove anything that might have come loose like air compressor etc. And check the glove box. If that doesnt work ask what mounts are in the general area and have the tech check them with a crow bar.

Last edited by captainbaker; 06-05-2016 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:47 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

I pretty much wanna pull the seat, period. When I installed the Numeric Racing shifter the entire console came out and has remained out. Don't think I won't yank it. My three year old wouldn't have a seat to kick!
If I rest my hand on the passenger seat I can feel it there strongly but it indeed could be the front end but it's not an issue unless I'm in the whoopdedoos that you is called streetz in Uptown! Clunk clunk clunk!
Old 06-06-2016, 01:48 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The area under those seats can hide a lot. Found an avocado under mine.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:59 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Damn!
Old 06-06-2016, 03:44 AM
Supermode
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only clunk I hear is when I go over a large bump it sounds like a window hits the inside of the body frame. I cant tell if its my driver-side, passenger-side, sun roof or rear hatch seperating, but it's definitely a window.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,526 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermode
The only clunk I hear is when I go over a large bump it sounds like a window hits the inside of the body frame. I cant tell if its my driver-side, passenger-side, sun roof or rear hatch seperating, but it's definitely a window.
I think I found the source of a clunk... the sunroof. If you can find a repeatable road section, drive over it and press your hand to ceiling behind the roof panel (between the rear window and roof panel). Under the cloth you will feel some things... press with a flat hand.

My next rainy day project is to pull the headliner and go looking. Sounds seem to come from the engine bay... but who the f knows until you start pulling stuff apart.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-06-2016, 11:11 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The area under those seats can hide a lot. Found an avocado under mine.
Was it ripe? I suspect that did not make any clunky noise....

Yves
Old 06-06-2016, 04:42 PM
Supermode
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I think I found the source of a clunk... the sunroof. If you can find a repeatable road section, drive over it and press your hand to ceiling behind the roof panel (between the rear window and roof panel). Under the cloth you will feel some things... press with a flat hand.

My next rainy day project is to pull the headliner and go looking. Sounds seem to come from the engine bay... but who the f knows until you start pulling stuff apart.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Thanks I'll try that. I'll even fully retract it and go over the same bump just to make sure.

Quick Reply: Clunking coming from under passenger seat WTF…