Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunking coming from under passenger seat WTF…

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 03:26 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I dropped a P-38 can opener down beside the passenger seat. It immediately grew legs and skittered into the hvac vent under the seat and has never been seen again--although it lets me know it's there with a metallic rattle sometimes.

That vent eats things. Check inside it.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:29 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

It's not that kind clank it's a heavy duty clunk/thunk. If you could put your hand on the passenger seat where the motors under the seat are, that's exactly where you feel it. On really bad road way more severe.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:32 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by ALEV8
Smoke that yellow connector was completely loose. I snapped it back in place. I can tell by looking and see what's moving slightly but those metal motors under the sea I can feel however I don't understand the intensity, so maybe something else, and I guess transmission mount carrier is right there possibly the passenger side mount is gone. That destroyed mount and mounting bolt might be bouncing around in there. Nothing under the seat, I pulled it and looked. Just those metal motors.
ALEV8
Maybe stuff a towel under there? It mayl stop the rattle, or at least muffle it. If the rattle changes, then your getting close.

Was up at the cottage. Had bags of stuff everywhere in my truck. Passenger seat was tilted forward. I was driving into town and the seat forward was bugging me. While doing 5o mph, I pushed the seat back to its normal position. Low and behold a full can of lemon oven cleaner had escaped from my bag of groceries. The jagged metal under the seat quickly punctured the can as it flew and blew lemon oven cleaner throughout the leather interior of my Tahoe.
Your rattle does not really bother me that much.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:30 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Damn!!!
Old 06-10-2016, 06:28 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Alev8, Just to clarify....when you cleaned out the frunk the noise was mostly gone? Did I win the gold star?
Old 06-10-2016, 06:30 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

A lot of front noise was indeed. Whatever is under my right elbow is clunking and you feel it on the seat bottom, pass side, and it's substantial.

Quick Reply: Clunking coming from under passenger seat WTF…