Sponsored by:

New Wheels - Need your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 12:51 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
You do know that the 991 isn't the same as the 997 right? Larger car, longer wheelbase, larger wheel arches, larger brakes, different suspension geometry, etc... I don't think smaller wheels look better. In fact, every car I have owned, I have gone as large as possible at what most consider the "sweet spot" between performance and looks. 19" on my 350z, M3 and now 911. I am not too prideful to admit that 18" on most of those cars would actually handle better, but I don't like the looks.
is the new Boxster and Cayman bigger then our 997? They rolling off the factory floor with 20s. I understand how factory built these cars to accommodate 20s etc.

I understand what your saying and can't deny your sweet spot comment as agreed on a 997 its 19. (good way to put it) My point more that all 20's are not as bad an option as so many people state. When talking the difference between 19-20 I would prefer a lighter weight+better made+perfect offset 20 then a factory made heavier 19 Porsche 997 wheel. (that likely needs spacers to look right)
Old 05-12-2016, 12:56 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
is the new Boxster and Cayman bigger then our 997? They rolling off the factory floor with 20s. I understand how factory built these cars to accommodate 20s etc.

I understand what your saying and can't deny your sweet spot comment as agreed on a 997 its 19. (good way to put it) My point more that all 20's are not as bad an option as so many people state. When talking the difference between 19-20 I would prefer a lighter weight+better made+perfect offset 20 then a factory made heavier 19 Porsche 997 wheel. (that likely needs spacers to look right)
Back to the original question, I think the car "doesn't look right" because the 20" on this car look very bulky/chunky. Your car is totally different, the colors and style of wheels (less bulky, yours have a lip that actually make them look smaller than his 20"......in fact, if you measure your wheel from spoke to spoke, and don't include the lip, I would bet there are many 19' wheels out there that have as large or larger measurement spoke to spoke, just because of the design and lack of lip) and the paint color of the car and wheel "work". From a design stand point, it just visually looks better.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:34 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
Back to the original question, I think the car "doesn't look right" because the 20" on this car look very bulky/chunky. Your car is totally different, the colors and style of wheels (less bulky, yours have a lip that actually make them look smaller than his 20"......in fact, if you measure your wheel from spoke to spoke, and don't include the lip, I would bet there are many 19' wheels out there that have as large or larger measurement spoke to spoke, just because of the design and lack of lip) and the paint color of the car and wheel "work". From a design stand point, it just visually looks better.
Exactly - didn't mean to start a 20s war. There's a lot of wheel there and they seem to overwhelm the car. That particular wheel in a 19 as shown in the other photo looks more balanced with the car - to me anyway. You gotta do what makes you happy - maybe paint is the answer.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:40 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fracture
negative
I did mine off the car, there are various masking products for the tires
Plastidip makes an application for the rubber, it may be product specific
I used a deck of playing cards from a nursing home
No wonder there were reports of old people randomly walking around the city...you stole their only pass-time activity!

Originally Posted by OKB
good idea but you have to go to a nursing home to get the cards before you could ever paint the wheels

Originally Posted by MemeMagno
I do prefer the black with machined lip, but in 20 I'm not so sure if they "match" with the 997 lines.
Agreed.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:30 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

OP explicitly asked for opinions right in his thread title... then in the body of his text of the post he said 'something isn't sitting right'...therefore he wanted opinions.

So I gave my opinion.

I said his cosmetic approach to the car should be moderated given the 'performance' mission of the car (any Porsche)...including considering going back to a 19 in wheel to restore a better visual balance. IN MY OPINION people who put oversize wheels on their cars and slam them down look TO ME like they are trying too hard. I didn't comment on the actual performance values of 18 vs 19 vs 20 rims on cars, tracked or otherwise. That's a separate conversation.

People like bigger wheels for a lot of reasons.... I do too, to an extent. Everything good can go bad if you take it too far. No need for anyone to justify their preferences or be defensive about them. These cars are toys and we do as we please to have fun.

Regarding the OP's car...I really don't give a sh*t. It's his car, he should as he pleases. But he asked for opinions so I gave mine. That's what this forum offers.

Last edited by golfnutintib; 05-13-2016 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:59 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib

Regarding the OP car's...I really don't give a sh*t. It's his car, he should as he pleases. But he asked for opinions so I gave mine. That's what this forum offers.
Are there 24's that fit the 997? Ideally i'd like no sidewall. Perhaps no rubber at all. LOL

I wasn't going to say anything, but I don't like the wheels, wrap or spoiler. Current wheel color is fine. I don't care for black wheels.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:00 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,452 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I don't like black wheels and feel all the detail of the wheel gets lost in the dark wheelwells, but in this case, the color of the wrap looks like a difficult color to compliment with a wheel color (or maybe it's just the photo or lighting of the photo skewing what the color actually looks like on the car), but in this case, I actually think the black wheel color is the best - anything else clashes with instead of compliments the wrap color, but I'd do something so it's not solid black, like the polished lip.

The other way to go might be a fully polished wheel as that doesn't introduce another color into the mix, just a different finish. I've gone this way on my GT Silver car since I don't like black wheels and also don't like when the wheel matches the car color (eliminates all the silver colors, at least for my taste on my car).

OP, it's your car - it only needs to look the way you want it to that makes you happy when you walk away and turn back to check it out.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:24 PM
Benihana242
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I want 18's on my car pretty bad.

Does anyone want to buy the 20" Formula GTS Techarts I just took off it?
Old 05-19-2016, 07:32 PM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Benihana242
Man, I want 18's on my car pretty bad. Does anyone want to buy the 20" Formula GTS Techarts I just took off it?
I really like that gloss black look with brushed lip. Ild be all over them if you were in canada
Old 05-19-2016, 07:34 PM
Benihana242
Instructor

What's involved in shipping to Canada? Are customs that tough where it's like "Forget it?"
Old 05-19-2016, 08:03 PM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

It's our ****ty $$$ we are getting killed on USA to CDN $ conversion.

Originally Posted by Benihana242
What's involved in shipping to Canada? Are customs that tough where it's like "Forget it?"
Old 05-19-2016, 08:11 PM
Benihana242
Instructor

Let me know. I would be willing to work with you on price/split shipping etc. I read up on shipping and it looks like FedEx would work.

Quick Reply: New Wheels - Need your opinion