Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Wheels - Need your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 10:45 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

are you kidding me?? People are not being critical? He asked about looks/asthetics... he did NOT ask about performance. But as usual the know it alls of performance (whom really do not know it all clearly) and likely the purist get the torches out....Then someone kindly refers to his car as a "rappers car" in two posts above (always nice to hear about your car). Do agree with your sentiment though that if OP likes it then so be it but cant suggest people aren't trying to be critical. Would suggest the opposite....

Originally Posted by Dennis C
People aren't trying to be critical of you, they are just giving their opinion on your wheels as you requested. Some people like 20s, and some don't. Love 'em or hate 'em, size does contribute to the look of the wheels and the overall look of the vehicle. Don't worry about it. If you like them, then so be it.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:58 AM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 112 Posts

I don't understand how someone can possibly compare this car to a ricey car with lambo doors. The man has basically a GT3 body on his 997. So I'm guessing you will go to the GT3 forum and call all GT3 owner's rappers now.

Back on topic:

I'm not a fan of the wheels my friend. Those specific wheels look too big for the body styling. But if i HAD to chose a color, all black no lip.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:04 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
are you kidding me?? People are not being critical? He asked about looks/asthetics... he did NOT ask about performance. But as usual the know it alls of performance (whom really do not know it all clearly) and likely the purist get the torches out....Then someone kindly refers to his car as a "rappers car" in two posts above (always nice to hear about your car). Do agree with your sentiment though that if OP likes it then so be it but cant suggest people aren't trying to be critical. Would suggest the opposite....
I see your point. He didn't ask about performance. I agree that the comments about the rapper's car are a bit harsh. My point is that some people don't like 20" wheels, and that's part of the appearance of the wheel. Don't paint everyone who doesn't like 20s with the same brush. I believe that every owner should make the modifications that they like. Things sometimes get dicey around here when people ask for opinions, particularly if they aren't in line with what the original poster likes.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:21 AM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ABQ997
OK, hide your head in the sand. People here are just telling you the truth. .
Is this guy for real? How old are you?
Old 05-12-2016, 11:24 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Originally Posted by ABQ997
OK, hide your head in the sand. People here are just telling you the truth. Porsche engineers re-designed the entire 997 suspension system around 19" wheels, just like the 991 for 20" and the 996 for 18". It's a fact.
Let me guess, your the same guy that thinks if someone adds a front chin spoiler to their 997 and doesn't balance it with a rear aero then they will fly off the road and end up in a ditch on the way to the grocery store traveling 35mph cause Porsche didn't make it that way:

Please explain to us why a 20's that weighs less then a 19's are bad and perform poorly?

Adding weight is the key factor and many rush to conclude that if its bigger it weighs more... it is a generalization and not accurate. (Not referring to the OPs set up in the techarts as not sure the weights of those wheels) Reducing unsprung weight improves handling. Less unsprung weight then the less work on suspension...more contact of wheel on the pavement with less unsprung weight. (do you challenge that?)
A 20 wheel will likely be running a smaller side wall (less rubber can mean less weight, rubber is heavy and tires many times weigh more the a decent wheel) so a 20' vs 19' with the exact same wheel (assuming a well made wheel) and tire (matching height between the 2 and width) the 20s will weigh less. Combine that with someone that is running a well made set of 20's (forged aluminum) vs Stock Porsche 19's and that saves even more weight. A correct fitting offset wheel with No spacers even less weight (we all know how many run spacers on the 997 cars, 15mm+5mm on many cars).... and for the obsessed even titanium lugs I guess technically reduces weight albeit the smallest of amount and if anyone claims to feel that they are insane. So to suggest 20's are bad as a blanket statement not sure is fair. I would suggest a well made set of 20's, with the correct offset will do just fine on a 997...and in some cases out perform a heavier oem porsche 19 wheel. 20's may not be your thing looks wise and that's OK just like some may not like 18's or 19s and believe 20's look best. But the blanket claim about how these cars were designed for 19 wheels and all 20s will affect handling so poorly is not accurate..More depends on how a wheel is made, correct offset, wheel weight, wheel material. Personally have 20' Forged Monolite wheels, perfect offset no need for spacers and put them against any factory Porsche 19 wheel that comes on a 997. Oh and have titanium lugs

back on topic.... free clinic for you/ABQ997 today in the above

My 20' wheels
http://www.championmotorsport.com/pr...p/cms-rf67.htm

Last edited by mickfluff; 05-12-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:51 AM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 178 Posts

If I were a 997 owner, this is what I'd want..... Fuchs 19"

shown on a 996t, but they have fitment for your car

from our friends at
http://www.wheelenhancement.com/inde...lDetail&id=284
Old 05-12-2016, 12:10 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I recall reading (Excellence or Pano, sorry, can't remember the issue) that the ideal wheel size for track work on the 997 was 18". They explained why going to larger diameters was counterproductive for performance driving on the track. The only reason Porsche went to 20" wheels was for market demand.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:15 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

its not the color, its to visual geometry of the car and the wheels and the lowering. The car has a short wheelbase, then you lower it and it effectively makes the car look smaller, then not only are they 20" wheels, but very bulky (with more mass at the outside of the wheel) instead of a very light and "airy" wheel (think GT3 wheels). Not sure why people keep going bigger and bigger, it looks worse, handles worse, brakes worse and accel worse. So whats the upside? If a 19" wheel can look big enough on a huge M4, they certainly should be big enough on a small 911
Old 05-12-2016, 12:19 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Originally Posted by KNS
I recall reading (Excellence or Pano, sorry, can't remember the issue) that the ideal wheel size for track work on the 997 was 18". They explained why going to larger diameters was counterproductive for performance driving on the track. The only reason Porsche went to 20" wheels was for market demand.

I will hold back my comments when I see a 997 on 18s in general....

Re the article Porsche factory wheels = bigger the wheel heavier the weight...(and 18 track tires are cheaper) Did they ever review a lesser weight better made and better fitment wheel in a larger size... so factory 18 vs a superior 19? Nope....
Old 05-12-2016, 12:22 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Black would be my choice (with matte finish).
Old 05-12-2016, 12:23 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gsxr_fvr
Due to comments like this those who thinks 20's on a 997 look too big may leave the thread!!

Question if 20's look too big was never asked!!
you asked opinions bro. To be honest your old CV3 wheels look WAY better if you are so set on staying with 20" The chunky looks of these wheels do not flow with the race look of the GT3 body at all. I also highly doubt that they are "light" 20" wheels and on top of that the wheels have a lot of mass at the perimeter of the wheel, which makes the rotating mass even worse, effecting performance even more. That being the case, why put that on a GT3 replica car? Its a contrasting look and style. It has NOTHING to do with the colors you are asking about
Old 05-12-2016, 12:28 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Originally Posted by rodH
its not the color, its to visual geometry of the car and the wheels and the lowering. The car has a short wheelbase, then you lower it and it effectively makes the car look smaller, then not only are they 20" wheels, but very bulky (with more mass at the outside of the wheel) instead of a very light and "airy" wheel (think GT3 wheels). Not sure why people keep going bigger and bigger, it looks worse, handles worse, brakes worse and accel worse. So whats the upside? If a 19" wheel can look big enough on a huge M4, they certainly should be big enough on a small 911
call Porsche and educate them as 20s on all their new cars from 991 to cayman to Boxters.. so clearly your in the minority that smaller wheels look better? They shoot for the masses and market telling them people want 20's. Brakes worse and accel worse? Read a few posts up about 19 vs 20 wheels and maybe re asses.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:31 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Let me guess, your the same guy that thinks if someone adds a front chin spoiler to their 997 and doesn't balance it with a rear aero then they will fly off the road and end up in a ditch on the way to the grocery store traveling 35mph cause Porsche didn't make it that way:

Please explain to us why a 20's that weighs less then a 19's are bad and perform poorly?

Adding weight is the key factor and many rush to conclude that if its bigger it weighs more... it is a generalization and not accurate. (Not referring to the OPs set up in the techarts as not sure the weights of those wheels) Reducing unsprung weight improves handling. Less unsprung weight then the less work on suspension...more contact of wheel on the pavement with less unsprung weight. (do you challenge that?)
A 20 wheel will likely be running a smaller side wall (less rubber can mean less weight, rubber is heavy and tires many times weigh more the a decent wheel) so a 20' vs 19' with the exact same wheel (assuming a well made wheel) and tire (matching height between the 2 and width) the 20s will weigh less. Combine that with someone that is running a well made set of 20's (forged aluminum) vs Stock Porsche 19's and that saves even more weight. A correct fitting offset wheel with No spacers even less weight (we all know how many run spacers on the 997 cars, 15mm+5mm on many cars).... and for the obsessed even titanium lugs I guess technically reduces weight albeit the smallest of amount and if anyone claims to feel that they are insane. So to suggest 20's are bad as a blanket statement not sure is fair. I would suggest a well made set of 20's, with the correct offset will do just fine on a 997...and in some cases out perform a heavier oem porsche 19 wheel. 20's may not be your thing looks wise and that's OK just like some may not like 18's or 19s and believe 20's look best. But the blanket claim about how these cars were designed for 19 wheels and all 20s will affect handling so poorly is not accurate..More depends on how a wheel is made, correct offset, wheel weight, wheel material. Personally have 20' Forged Monolite wheels, perfect offset no need for spacers and put them against any factory Porsche 19 wheel that comes on a 997. Oh and have titanium lugs

back on topic.... free clinic for you/ABQ997 today in the above

My 20' wheels
http://www.championmotorsport.com/pr...p/cms-rf67.htm
A few things come to mind, and I am sure the hardcore track guys can give a lot more specifics.

1. It isn't a matter of the actual weight, exactly, but where the weight is located (think of an ice skaters doing a spin with her arms out, vs close to the body).

2. Sidewall height and flex can ACTUALLY help a car perform better. I don't totally understand why this is, but is does. I am sure someone else can explain it, but this is a big reason you see guys even with huge budgets at the track with smaller wheels.

3. A larger contact patch doesn't always mean it will handle better. Again, I don't understand exactly why.

Most of this stuff is physics, no need to take it personal, it just is what it is.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:35 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

people with 18 and 19 need 20's go get a bank loan and buy some wheels...

18's looks like you could not afford 19.... I mean what screams base model more then sunken in pathetic 18 wheels? Rather take the bus then ride in a car with 18s... 19's better I guess but looks like you cant afford 20's I mean 19's look so tiny for this century... Are you still wearing black knee high dress sox and shorts and think you look cool? yikes... People are laughing at you... I mean you can buy a 100K Porsche but cant afford to stay with current trends and put correct size wheels on? Then go buy a civic....Look at super exotics and they run 20 and some 21's even... If you can't afford to keep your Porsche looking the part please go back to your mustangs. These cars are status cars and your making those of us that protect that status look bad.

Blood boiling yet?

Ok the paragraph above is clearly complete horse **** on every level... but how some of you guys sound when you go on and on about 20 wheels. Its almost comical...
I personally like 20, 19 and even some cars rolling on 18's... more important for me is to consider all factors from wheel quality, fit, material, process in how they were made etc then one size like the 20 vs 19 debate.

Around town and street use doubt anyone going to feel any huge difference. Not everyone looking to shave 1 second off a lap time.

carry on....
Old 05-12-2016, 12:37 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

call Porsche and educate them as 20s on all their new cars from 991 to cayman to Boxters.. so clearly your in the minority that smaller wheels look better? They shoot for the masses and market telling them people want 20's. Brakes worse and accel worse? Read a few posts up about 19 vs 20 wheels and maybe re asses.
You do know that the 991 isn't the same as the 997 right? Larger car, longer wheelbase, larger wheel arches, larger brakes, different suspension geometry, etc... I don't think smaller wheels look better. In fact, every car I have owned, I have gone as large as possible at what most consider the "sweet spot" between performance and looks. 19" on my 350z, M3 and now 911. I am not too prideful to admit that 18" on most of those cars would actually handle better, but I don't like the looks.

Quick Reply: New Wheels - Need your opinion