Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 02:51 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
This is a great plug repair kit - Griots Tire Plug Kit

Way over done. Our cars come with a compressor. A cheapie Slime-brand $9.00 with metal tools and add curved pier is all you need. If you want to get crazy, get a Smittybilt for $27 but it has way more than you can even use as it has patches that go in the interior of the carcass. Keep this simple..... just make sure the tools are metal.

You won't have room for luggage with that one!

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-11-2016, 08:29 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,599 Likes on 4,196 Posts

Dynaplug kit (their patented plugs don't require any glue) and a quart or two (depending on round trip distance) of the specific oil on your engine. I also carry a spare serpentine belt. I always have my PC with me and put my Durametric Pro kit into whichever P-car I'm taking on the trip. Being able to diagnose a CEL will tell you whether it's safe for you and the car to continue or not.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:38 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Way over done. Our cars come with a compressor. A cheapie Slime-brand $9.00 with metal tools and add curved pier is all you need. If you want to get crazy, get a Smittybilt for $27 but it has way more than you can even use as it has patches that go in the interior of the carcass. Keep this simple..... just make sure the tools are metal.

You won't have room for luggage with that one!

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Look again... The Griots kit is very complete and has an option without a compressor for $30 and includes a convenient bag. A great product at a great price.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:31 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
Get the best tire repair kit that you can, with strong T-Grip handles, because performance tires are firm SOBs. Damn good gloves, good flashlight, compressor in good order.
I also second "strong T-Grip handles". In-line grips are likely to be exceedingly frustrating, if not unusable. Also a flashlight that can be stood up and focused on the problem area without having to hold it.

I also have a small kneeling pad to help keep me out of the road grime. It seems I nearly always get a puncture when I am wearing my best clothes. Now I pretty much always wear well-worn jeans and a less-than-favorite polo shirt. According to Murphy's Law, thorough preparation is virtually a guarantee you won't have a problem in the first place.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:54 AM
sub150
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just want to say if you are patching a tire do not do it on the shoulder. I know two people that have been killed on the shoulder trying to fix their stopped vehicle. People just don't pay attention. Both were at night but even during the day I'm calling for a tow truck, cop to block the lane, or getting to a parking lot.

Also, I've never heard of someone getting a rental for going more than 100 miles from home. I guess rental companies love you though. Cars are meant to be driven!
Old 05-12-2016, 07:16 AM
HeyJacu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gtntahg
That is the same one I had bookmarked on Amazon. Thanks. Lots of other good choices listed in this thread too… Guide pins. Check.
I owned this kit and in general it was pretty good. My only gripe is that the plastic used for the hose is not elastic/ good quality and if you get a kink in the hose and give it a tug, the hose will tear and the pump will be useless at that point. This happened to me in winter so the cold temperatures didn't help the situation. My local Walmart sells the kit; you may want to make a visit to your local store and check the quality before purchasing. Put some duck tape in your kit if you already made the purchase.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
Geez all this serious preparation makes me feel reckless!
I drove my new to me GTS 1200 miles home over a two day period last month with nothing at all except a couple changes of clothes. And its on center locks.
I've done 4K mile (or more miles) road trips with no more than just making sure the car didn't need any servicing and packing just the bare necessities. It helps I keep on top of the servicing and problems so generally my cars are ready for the road at any time. Given my work schedule I often had no real advance notice of when I could take time off. I'd work like crazy and then suddenly find myself caught up and in a day have my vacation request submitted, approved, and be on the road.

But the odds catch up with one once in a while and it is that once in a while being prepared makes for a less stressful experience.

I don't pack a tool box, spares, etc., I just make sure I can change a tire if one goes flat and can at least limp into the nearest town so I can have a hotel room in which I can wait for the replacement tire to arrive.

Quick Reply: First Long Road Trip. Question.