997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Long Road Trip. Question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016 | 10:24 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

As we are a very VAIN group. I, like most of you, am constantly looking back over my shoulder, while leaving my vehicle. Wow, that's a good looking ride.

Carcissistic personality disorder (CPD)

Often that is when I notice, tire pressure issues, objects violating my tires. The more expensive the tire, the wider, the lack of spare. Makes them more attractive to sharp objects.
As above, kit... plugs, pliers, gloves, scissor jack, current dated goo, air compressor, breaker bar. I get rid of the mag wheel lock. It only inconveniences the owner.
If you car is lowered, add a piece of 2x4 to get the car up high enough to get the jack under.
Be patient, and safe.
Too hot? Don't have a heart attack.
Too many cars zooming by your Azz. Call for help. It's not worth it.
Old 05-10-2016 | 10:25 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
A curved one allows you to rock, or lever out the offending *****. Just grab, then roll it over..... give me a lever long enough, and pliers curved enough, and I can lift the world.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Excellent suggestion for removing the cause of the puncture!

Now as to removing the "offending *****"... Well sometimes it's hard to get rid of bystanders who only contribute suggestion on how to do something but contribute no actual work.
Old 05-10-2016 | 11:19 AM
gr1275
Pro

We picked up a nail in a front tire on our way back from Parade last year. (Drove back roads all the way) Stopped in a small town in TN, bought a cheap plug kit and drove it the rest of the way with no issues. Actually, that tire is still holding... going to replace the fronts this week in preparation for another 2k mile trip. This time, I'll carry a plug kit and the pump and goo kit from the BMW.

Gary
Old 05-10-2016 | 12:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Starting the road trip with brand new tires is a good idea.

In my experience my Porsche tires are more likely to pick up something and go flat nearer the end of their life.

Even with new tires be sure at least before you leave the tires don't have anything in them. My local dealer gives me a road worthiness inspection free of charge which among other things has the car in the air and the tech and I walk around and check all 4 tires.

Be sure the jack, tool kit are present. Add a tire plug kit too along with the necessary extra tools you may need to use it. Oh, don't forget a nice portable air compressor. (My 996 Turbo came with one, as it comes with a space saver spare tire.) I carry a 1/2" Sears torque wrench and short extension and a proper sized socket to if I have to torque wheel bolts if I have to remove a wheel.

I do not have the security lug bolts installed. If you do be sure the special tool fits all *4* of these.

I toss in some short sections of 2x4's to use in case I need to provide a base for the jack and to block the tires so the car can't roll.

Also, a piece of old blanket or heavy plastic is nice to put down to avoid getting dirty changing the tire.

Last but not least I have premium autoclub membership just in case.

Also, to improve the odds a tire doesn't pick up anything I avoid as best I can driving off the beaten path. That is I avoid pulling over on the shoulder unless absolutely necessary and in parking lots I stay in the lanes and avoid cutting across the lot. I go slow too and no hottrodding around corners. (Even though I wasn't hotting the car in my Boxster one day pulling into work when a rear tire rolled over a large washer and the action of the tire rolled the washer just right to cut a nice big semi-circular slice into the tire from which the tire went flat in no time.)

Watch your speed. I've been pulled over a couple of times crossing the Texas panhandle. There for a while I was on a first name basis with the clerks at Dalhart courthouse. Thankfully Texas has probation before adjudication and dealing with a minor speeding ticket (10 over) is relatively painless. course, be sure your car's registration is up to date and you have proof of insurance. (Got pulled over in AZ and couldn't find either of these and I had not one but 2 AZ statetroopers giving me a taste of what a police state would be like. Tickets for no insurance, no registration, and for a big speeding offence. After they left and I calmed down I found both the damn current registration and proof of insurance and on the way back through Flagstaff got the tickets for these dismissed then months later swung by Flagstaff again and talked with the PA and the judge and got the speeding ticket reduced.)

Also, while rare be aware of this danger: I turned south at Amarillo and headed down I-27 on my way -- eventually -- to Fredricksburg and just a few minutes after heading south came upon a car in the right lane moving pretty slow. I pulled out to pass only to come face to face -- so to speak -- with a car heading the wrong way. No time to think I just jerked the wheel to the right -- I was in my Boxster -- and swerved out of the way just in time. Thankfully the car I had just passed had slowed down and there was room for me to get over. That this scared the you know what out of me is an understatement.

I've never had to carry any gasoline additive. There is plenty of the right gasoline available. In some places if the altitude is high enough -- I can't recall if this is the case anyplace in Texas -- you might only find 90 octane avialable. This ok as at higher elevations the engine's octane requirement is reduced. I've filled up my Porsches' gas tanks with 90 a number of times with no issues.

Just buy name brand top tier gasoline -- I use Shell, Chevron, Texaco, or Philips 66 -- and buy from a busy station. Truck stop stations are pretty good and the bathrooms big -- no waiting -- and reasonably well maintained.
Old 05-10-2016 | 12:27 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

All good suggestions.

I ran over some tracks on back roads in south GA and something popped up and cut the sidewall. I had the goop, the plug kit, and 2 leftover Sam Adams in a cooler - and that was a good thing because it was a long night waiting for a flat bed and being dropped at the nearest Porsche shop 5 hours later.

As you probably know, sidewall damage is pretty much a showstopper with no spare. The sidewall is also thin and easily damaged if hit.

My suggestion - if you cannot manage a spare - know where you can get a tire replaced along your route - have a plan. These tires aren't easy to find in some rural areas nor is a shop with the right equipment to work on your car. So have some phone numbers and a plan. Towing is expensive too - my flatbead would have been about $1000 had it not been covered by Roadside Assistance! So consider AAA's 200 mile tow plan - or something that has a suitable radius of coverage for your trip.

It's all fun and games until you are in the middle of nowhere immobile.
Old 05-10-2016 | 12:42 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Also something to consider. If you aren't comfortable or knowledgeable enough to repair or solve a problem should one arise, don't put yourself in a situation where that could happen.
Old 05-10-2016 | 12:48 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Originally Posted by stevepow

My suggestion - if you cannot manage a spare - know where you can get a tire replaced along your route - have a plan.
If you have never changed a tire? Practice at home. I go out snowmobiling with a few people. Often, they have never change a belt of their sled. I make them change it in the warm garage, in the well lite space.

As an all season driver, I keep an off season tire at the cottage. So in the summer there is a snow tire up north. If I get a real blow out, worst case, there is a rim with a tire half the distance away... so max 120kms, or one hour "please drop off a tire and rim" "pretty pretty please, I'll buy you a great diner", favour.
Old 05-10-2016 | 12:53 PM
nk215
Instructor

I would include road flares in addition to the above mentioned items.

I had my water pump went bad on me on the road in the middle of nowhere. Luckily I had a gallon of distilled water with me and topped it off. That was enough to hang me over to the next town. Then I kept on dumping water on it all the way home. It leaked about a gallon/45min-hour. This was on my Wrangler so it can take a lot more than a 911 can.
Old 05-10-2016 | 12:59 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

First, call AAA, or if no signal, use a tire plug, but only if you are in a safe area. I drive my 997 all over the US on road trips. Most interstates are dangerous places to be fooling around with a flat tire. Hence the first option, Call AAA.
Old 05-10-2016 | 01:12 PM
AMG5PT4
Rennlist Member

A curved one allows you to rock, or lever out the offending *****. Just grab, then roll it over..... give me a lever long enough, and pliers curved enough, and I can lift the world.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
My line from way back in college at Georgia Tech - "Newton was a wimp"! The lever is a wonderful tool!
Old 05-10-2016 | 05:02 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Geez all this serious preparation makes me feel reckless!
I drove my new to me GTS 1200 miles home over a two day period last month with nothing at all except a couple changes of clothes. And its on center locks.
Old 05-10-2016 | 06:38 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Makes sense.
Thank you, Archimedes in Philly!
T
Old 05-10-2016 | 08:13 PM
MEBound
Instructor

I picked my '08 C2S in Sacramento, CA last month and drove it back to Louisville, KY and had similar concerns. I just took care and monitored the air pressure for any fluctuations and enjoyed the ride listing to great music. The areas that gave me concern were middle of no-where Utah and Wyoming where if I got a flat I was sure there was no place that would have a tire for this car, but then I started to think about the car, the open road and the fact that I was living a dream!

I wouldn't stress too much over it!!
Old 05-10-2016 | 09:17 PM
gtntahg
Advanced

Terrific advice. Any time I get a new-to-me "new" car, I'll find a cool Saturday morning and practice a tire change in the garage. That is *always* an education. Keeps me from fumbling through the Owner's Volume on the side of the road too.

Changing the tire in a non-stressed environment is a good confidence builder, plus, it identifies any particular pieces of the factory tire change kit that might be missing, or a specific tool that might prove really useful. I've carried a hard rubber mallet to break lug nuts loose after one experience like this. Obviously, the breaker bar is better so I think I'll retire the mallet. With a wheel off you can also get a pretty good idea of the state of the rotor and pads plus the other suspension bits lurking behind those massively deep rims, BUT, I digress.

I have USAA Premium so that's a plus. Also bought a tire and rim replacement from the Porsche dealer where we found the car so identifying all P-Car dealers or NTW and the like along my intended route will be part of my trip planning (Plan the trip; drive the plan) But I just don't like the idea of sitting around in the middle of nowhere waiting for something to happen (maybe two Sam Adams should be part of everyone's tire change kit, ha!) so if I can find a safe, well populated gas station or something, I'm going to try and fix the flat first.

Hadn't even thought of the wheel lug locks. Thanks for mentioning that too. The Porsche dealer is going to give the car a good once-over before I go on my trip at the end of the month so I'll ask about having those removed and replaced with standard bits.

Also, does anyone have experience with a tire inflator that runs off the car's battery? I've found a pretty trick one on Amazon but it isn't cheap. Might be overkill but I don't think so. Anyone ever used one of those?

And if I were Porsche, I'd sell a really well-made, thick canvas custom-fit bag with carrying straps to fit all the stuff you need to repair a tire on a car with no spare! (Yeah, I'd buy the bag… especially if it had the Martini Racing logos all over it. So sad, I know…)

Last edited by gtntahg; 05-10-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2016 | 09:27 PM
tom030
Intermediate

Picked up my 09 C2S in Sept. of 2014 in Hilton Head, drove down to Tampa then over to New Orleans, Austin up to Santa Fe, Grand Junction, Jackson Hole, Boise and finally Port Orchard WA. Never missed a beat in 4500 miles. Great trip O problems. Stop worrying and enjoy the ride.
~tom030

Quick Reply: First Long Road Trip. Question.