Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Long Road Trip. Question.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:38 PM
gtntahg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Long Road Trip. Question.

I recently purchased a wonderful '08 C4S with 49,000, three-owner, southern miles. I have put a little over 3,000 miles on the car in two months and absolutely love it (it is my first 911).

All of my miles though have been fairly local - country backroads, maybe an hour or two from home. Now I'm planning my first multi-day road trip and I'm curious to know how you 911 "veterans" cope with the no spare tire situation on long trips through sparsely populated regions of the country? (in this case, the Texas Panhandle… on the way to Colorado, thank you very much).

I've used the type of pressurized goo in a can to try and fix a flat before on a different car many years ago and I have to say it was a miserable failure.

The Boxster spare will not fit in the frunk of the C4S as I understand it so… ease my pre-trip anxiety if you could, please, with some advice. I will also add the tires on my car are brand new and I drive with the tire pressure data displayed in the instrument cluster always.

TIA
Old 05-09-2016, 09:54 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to check out the use of a 996 collapsible tire They are on ebay and also at most Breakers
Old 05-09-2016, 09:58 PM
strickrn
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove from Delaware to Georgia in January on summer tires when my Dad passed away. I got into a snowstorm in North Carolina and the car handled like a champ. The southern road have a lot fewer potholes and the chances of you blowing our a Y or Z rated tire is pretty low. Remember these tires are very strong and can withstand a lot of heat / pressure combination. Just put down the windows, make sure you have your cellphone charged and have a great overnight drive. The car is very comfortable. $0.02.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:09 PM
j997tt
Advanced

I keep a tire puncture patch kit in the trunk. It's a type of plug. I (unfortunately) had to use it on my former M4 (mid tread screw puncture) and it worked great. Took 30 minutes to do the repair. You can buy these online or at a local auto parts store. Cheap. There are varying types of kits with different quality.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:35 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

I second keeping a plug kit in the trunk. I also have the bottle of StopLeak (up to date, mind you) but I hope to never have to use it. It messes up the inside of the tire, the tire pressure monitors, and possibly the underside of your car.

I work in an industrial area and frequently get screws in my tires, virtually always in the tread. I can now plug a tire in 5-10 minutes -- faster than I could previously just dig out jack and a spare. I would plug my tire first, even if I had a spare to use. My fear of long distance trips, even out of the country, is gone.

I am still vulnerable to shoulder/sidewall/or cuts, but in all the miles I have driven over 48 years, all my problems have been tread punctures, some worse than others. When inserted correctly, plugs can hold up nearly indefinitely, but you should always take the first opportunity to get the puncture properly patched from the inside by a qualified tire shop.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:58 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The Boxster spare fits in y C2S. Luggage goes inside.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:00 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

What, me worry? Not! Did a near-2000 mi road trip last year, and about to do a 3000 miler at the end of this month. Two other Porsches and a Jag F-Type join me. None of us worry about it. Life's too short, go for it.

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 05-10-2016 at 11:17 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 05-10-2016, 12:20 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,136 Likes on 722 Posts

I keep a change of clothes, cleaner, rags, tire chocks, torque wrench with socket, anti seize, jack, plug kit (pliers, insert tool, plugs, etc), two kinds of sealant, various other tools, and a compressor in the frunk. This reduces my understeer

A plug is a temporary fix. In California (and probably elsewhere), a plug by itself is not considered a legal repair. But it will get you back on the road.

Enjoy your trip. There is no better car for this, IMHO.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:06 AM
gtntahg
Advanced

Nothing like first-hand experience! Thanks very much for all of the replies. The tire plug solution is great; I ride motorcycles so I'm not sure why I hadn't thought of that one, d-oh!

I'm having the car serviced this weekend so when it gets home and park it in the garage I'll test to see if I can loosen the lug bolts. (Sometimes a car will come back from the dealership with lug bolts driven on with a torque wrench that must have been set at 650 foot pounds of torque…Yeah, good look with that on the side of the road.)

Breaker bar is another good idea and I'll look into the 996 collapsable spare (will that fit in a C4S frunk?).

Great forum - I appreciate your help.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:24 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you get a spare, to change a rear flat I believe you have to pull the front tire and place the spare there, then put the front wheel/tire on the rear.

I have done one road side tire plugging. Get the best tire repair kit that you can, with strong T-Grip handles, because performance tires are firm SOBs. Damn good gloves, good flashlight, compressor in good order.

I have AAA+, too.

Plan your trip and see what type of facilities are along the route. It will help you decide that if X happens in Y location, you can do Z and get to a facility or just get a flatbed.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:34 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I take Jumpin Joe and Wayne Smith along with me...and a AAA+ card!

PS A bottle of Techron can also be helpful IF you are unsure that 91+ octane fuel will be available.

PSS The 997 is an exceptional 911 for road trips so feel confident that you'll make it to wherever your travelling and do so with a huge grin on your face...have a blast!
Old 05-10-2016, 08:40 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,405 Likes on 852 Posts

Tire plug kit.... and make sure it has curved needle nose pliers.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-10-2016, 08:48 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Only thing I have not seen listed that I pack is a case of surgical gloves to keep my hands clean.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:13 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Tire plug kit.... and make sure it has curved needle nose pliers.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Perhaps a dumb Q, but why curved?

I bring a plug kit, extra remote batteries, needle nose pliers, make sure cell is fully charged, Google Porsche dealer locations along route, etc.

OP - you're gonna love this car on long trips. I've done three long road trips in two years and the only excitement was a wonky TPMS sensor, which Bob Moore in OKC took a quick look at for me.

T
Old 05-10-2016, 09:45 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,405 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Perhaps a dumb Q, but why curved?
A curved one allows you to rock, or lever out the offending *****. Just grab, then roll it over..... give me a lever long enough, and pliers curved enough, and I can lift the world.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Long Road Trip. Question.