Sponsored by:

First Long Road Trip. Question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 09:34 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

gtntagh: "I have USAA Premium so that's a plus." What's USAA Premium? I've had USAA since 1969. Looks like I missed something.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:35 PM
nk215
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gtntahg
Also, does anyone have experience with a tire inflator that runs off the car's battery? I've found a pretty trick one on Amazon but it isn't cheap. Might be overkill but I don't think so. Anyone ever used one of those?
I used the pump that came with my Cayenne S a few times. It connects to the battery and is much more cumbersome than the type that plugs into your 12V cigarette plug. It works well.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:45 PM
tom030
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one from Campbell Hausfield, rechargeable or external battery driven. It will inflate four tires on one charge. Around $60.00 online including freight.
~tom

Last edited by tom030; 05-10-2016 at 10:47 PM. Reason: adendum
Old 05-10-2016, 11:08 PM
gtntahg
Advanced

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
gtntagh: "I have USAA Premium so that's a plus." What's USAA Premium? I've had USAA since 1969. Looks like I missed something.
My made-up term for regular USAA automotive coverage with the added monthly premium for towing.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:55 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 689 Likes on 415 Posts

Griots sells pump that is small, quiet, effective, and plugs in lighter socket. Had one for yrs, recommend.
No affiliation with them.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:40 AM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Regarding compact spares in the frunk: Although you may be able to squeeze one in, I believe it was brought up here in another thread recently that you *won't* be able to squeeze a stock rear tire into the frunk after you've made the swap. So yeah, you might have a spare, but you might also have to leave your stock rim with a flat tire by the side of the road. Or just pack light enough such that you put nothing in the frunk to save room for the original wheel/tire. Or have a roof rack so you can bungee cord the stock wheel up on the roof.

I support the idea of a plug kit.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:22 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

I was incomplete in my tool list. It is much easier to successfully plug a tire if it is off the car. Get two guide pins. Put these into the first two locations where you remove lug bolts. Then remove the other three. This will protect your rotors and calipers when you remove the wheel and help you when you put it back on.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:52 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Everything needed, and highly rated:

Amazon.com: Slime 70004 Power Spair 48 Piece Tire Repair Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Slime 70004 Power Spair 48 Piece Tire Repair Kit: Automotive
Old 05-11-2016, 08:55 AM
gtntahg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Philster
That is the same one I had bookmarked on Amazon. Thanks. Lots of other good choices listed in this thread too…

Guide pins. Check.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:57 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a rear go flat on me a mile from my house. Even if the goop would have worked, it wouldn't have helped because the tire's bead had jumped the rim and the puny compressor didn't have enough power to pop it back in. Had to call AAA and have it flatbedded to my indie a couple miles away. His compressor inflated it immediately, and the problem was found to be a blown valve stem.

Our e-class Merc came with a goop-and-compressor also, because they used the spare-tire well to house the tank for the clean-diesel fluid. However the trunk is big enough to hold a spare, but more importantly the wheel with the flat. That's the main issue with the 997. Sure I could wrap the flat in something and put it in the cabin, but then what? Put my passenger on the roof?

We always rent a car whenever we need to drive more than a hundred miles from home. It's not about the spare, it's about breakdowns in general. With a rental you make one phone call and they bring you out a replacement car and you're back on your way. Otherwise you need to find a trustable shop in an unfamiliar area and pray any needed parts are available locally. And if it's on a weekend that's an additional problem. Otherwise you need to leave the car, rent another one, then go back and pick yours up when it's fixed. To me it's risking too much of a pain just for the fun of driving the Porsche on a long trip, as much as I might like to do it.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:44 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would use everything available before resorting to that fix-a-flat goop.

As for not taking the Porsche on a long journey, or any car, for fear of a breakdown: No way would I forgo one of the greatest things in the world to me (road trip in a favorite car) to hedge against something (being stranded) that is so unlikely.

The point of this thread and feedback is to prepare for an extremely unlikely event, and then reduce the likelihood that the extremely unlikely event will result in you being utterly and completely stranded (the even more extremely unlikely event made even more unlikely via.... preparation).

Old 05-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I hear ya, but typically my trips are long weekends, and having to extend a trip would present an extreme hardship for me, so my priority is to do whatever I can to avoid whatever likelihood there is of that happening. Not to mention ruining the trip itself by getting stranded short of the destination. I suppose if the main purpose of the trip was to drive my car that would be a mitigating factor, but for me it's secondary. So I'm willing to content myself with ten 100-mile day-trips as against one 1000 mile weekend trip turning into a logistical nightmare.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:11 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by gtntahg
I recently purchased a wonderful '08 C4S with 49,000, three-owner, southern miles. I have put a little over 3,000 miles on the car in two months and absolutely love it (it is my first 911).

All of my miles though have been fairly local - country backroads, maybe an hour or two from home. Now I'm planning my first multi-day road trip and I'm curious to know how you 911 "veterans" cope with the no spare tire situation on long trips through sparsely populated regions of the country? (in this case, the Texas Panhandle… on the way to Colorado, thank you very much).

I've used the type of pressurized goo in a can to try and fix a flat before on a different car many years ago and I have to say it was a miserable failure.

The Boxster spare will not fit in the frunk of the C4S as I understand it so… ease my pre-trip anxiety if you could, please, with some advice. I will also add the tires on my car are brand new and I drive with the tire pressure data displayed in the instrument cluster always.

TIA
I recommend that you join AAA
Old 05-11-2016, 01:57 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

I would be sure to carry two liters of oil with you, since its doubtful that the Exxon will be carrying the Mobil One with the correct weight. On a hard drive of 400 miles through lots of twisty roads it will most likely eat some oil. Mine always would.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:38 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

This is a great plug repair kit - Griots Tire Plug Kit

Quick Reply: First Long Road Trip. Question.