Sponsored by:

Best Driving Roads in California

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 09:20 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 91 Posts

Anyone familiar with Hwy 33 from Coalinga paralleling I5 to McKittrick then through to Ventura? My 95 year old dad has moved to Thousand Oaks, and I've been visiting monthly using 101 and/or I5 to get there. Looking for a more interesting way to get there.

There are many videos on YouTube on this road, but lots on the southern end. Looking for specifics out of Coalinga.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:37 PM
80's old school
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Anyone familiar with Hwy 33 from Coalinga paralleling I5 to McKittrick then through to Ventura? My 95 year old dad has moved to Thousand Oaks, and I've been visiting monthly using 101 and/or I5 to get there. Looking for a more interesting way to get there.

There are many videos on YouTube on this road, but lots on the southern end. Looking for specifics out of Coalinga.
The 33 once you get past Maricopa is fun. You will enjoy that drive all the way to Ojai.

Driving on the 33 through McKittrick will suck right now because it is so hot!!
Old 06-21-2016, 12:57 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am a big fan of Skaggs Springs Boulevard from the coast to healdsburg. One lane road for much of it, then 20 miles of equal radius sweepers and no one out there at all.

Best to go from the coast to Healdsburg I find.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:24 AM
Schnell 911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ibdavid
Among the best in Nor-Cal, highway 36.
No doubt in my mind ibdAvid! I have round tripped this gauntlet from Red Bluff to Fortuna and let me tell you folks, best driving pleasure in California and I would be guessing in the top three in the country. I never stopped to take photos as I was in a metaphoric rhythmic PCAR dance for 3 hours, omg!

Old 06-21-2016, 12:14 PM
80's old school
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

God has blessed us who live in California!!
Old 06-21-2016, 03:46 PM
Ganthrithor
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 80's old school
God has blessed us who live in California!!
True story. CA does have the greatest roads in the world. Makes it worth living here despite the fact that it's a thousand degrees outside eight months out of the year and there's no bloody water. Food's not bad either

Originally Posted by dgetz993
No doubt in my mind ibdAvid! I have round tripped this gauntlet from Red Bluff to Fortuna and let me tell you folks, best driving pleasure in California and I would be guessing in the top three in the country. I never stopped to take photos as I was in a metaphoric rhythmic PCAR dance for 3 hours, omg!

That road looks great. The big loop just to the north comprised of 3, 299 and 96 looks like it could be incredible too! Was oogling that the other day!
Old 06-21-2016, 09:05 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 80's old school
The 33 once you get past Maricopa is fun. You will enjoy that drive all the way to Ojai.

Driving on the 33 through McKittrick will suck right now because it is so hot!!
+1

Joe, I'd stay as close to the coast as possible during these dog days.

Have you driven CA-58 from McKittrick > Santa Margarita?

It is a special road with very little traffic...although one of the other vehicles that I saw there the last time I drove through there (while driving the SC) was a CHP eating lunch in his vehicle (with radar detector off) just west of Wilson Corner. The sharp left turn in that area was to nice to take slowly and so I didn't...and paid the price.

https://goo.gl/eCI2by
Attached Images  

Last edited by david; 06-21-2016 at 09:08 PM. Reason: added url
Old 06-21-2016, 09:47 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 91 Posts

David, that's a good alternative. To save a bit of time, probably skip the Hwy 1 portion, do 101 all the way down, then, 58-33-101 to TO. Of course, Hwy 1 to Carmel Valley Rd beckons, too. Depends on time constraints.

But, original question, what is 33 out of Coalinga like? Anyone?
Old 06-23-2016, 04:15 AM
Ganthrithor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
But, original question, what is 33 out of Coalinga like? Anyone?
Hot as hell and really boring until you hit Ventucopa. Then it turns into one of the finest driving roads in the country until Ojai. Then it gets boring again, but at least it's not as hot.

The good news is (at least in my experience) you can drive the hot, boring part at a pace that wouldn't be too far off your highway 5 pace, and probably with fewer speed traps.

If you have the time, I highly recommend doing the following:

- 33 / 166 (they'll be the same road at one point) to Hudson Ranch Road
- Hudson Ranch road east towards Lake of the Woods
- Right turn at Lockwood Valley Road
- Lockwood Valley Road to highway 33
- Left turn on hwy 33, go over the hills and down into Ojai
- Stop for gas and possibly turn around and drive the mountains again
- Continue to wherever you were going

It's a lot of driving, but each one of those roads is great. Watch out when Lockwood Valley starts to get tight-- there are a few corners where you come over a blind crest to find that the road plummets out from underneath you and drops you into decreasing-radius turns through dusty / gravely former creek crossings (there's no water in CA right now, don't worry: you won't get wet). A little caution pays off, especially if it's your first time on the road. Hudson Ranch road has a couple of surprising "blind-crest-into-downhill-decreasing-radius" corners as well, but not as severe as the ones on Lockwood Valley. The windy bits of 33 are mostly just lovely-- brand new pavement (there may be some ongoing road works at one point if you go in the near future, but nothing too disruptive), wide road (proper double-yellow line plus a little shoulder in most places), and great scenery. Watch out for rockfall (usually limited to the shoulders, but keep an eye out), the occasional deer, and cyclists on the section between Rose Valley Campground and Ojai if you're there on a weekend. Fuel is available at Pine Mountain Club and Frazier Park if you need it. Enjoy.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:56 AM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sawborg
I was on Mulholland, PCH and Latigo and went back down Kanan Sat. afternoon/early evening. It was great! Latigo would have been perfect if it weren't for a pair of Chargers that wouldn't let me pass.
Love love Latigo! Last three trips over past few weeks - nothing but me and the road. So rare for SOCAL.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:58 AM
Ganthrithor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by daberlin
Love love Latigo! Last three trips over past few weeks - nothing but me and the road. So rare for SOCAL.
Latigo is a wonderful road. Somehow I've only ever driven it going downhill... one day I'll have to go drive it from the bottom, up
Old 07-01-2016, 12:40 AM
gelat0
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Early morning (no traffic) California Pacific Coast Hwy, Monterey to Big Sur and back..
Old 07-01-2016, 02:01 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by gelat0
Early morning (no traffic) California Pacific Coast Hwy, Monterey to Big Sur and back..
No good reason to advertise that.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:06 AM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dgetz993

Really tempted to do this drive. It would take me 4 hours to drive up to Fontana, probably spend the night and do the drive the next day.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:36 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by sf_c63
Really tempted to do this drive. It would take me 4 hours to drive up to Fontana, probably spend the night and do the drive the next day.
Know the road well. Much prefer it West to East - Fortuna to Red Bluff. Watch for traffic on blind corners. Plenty of opportunities for catching air on the straight roller coaster stage before Red Bluff.

Also... the road pavement has deteriorated over time - bumpier now.

Quick Reply: Best Driving Roads in California