Sponsored by:

Bleeding my brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 05:44 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Aspen Autosports
Now with all of that being said the higher the boiling point of the brake fluid the more hygroscopic it becomes. Which means you need to flush your fluid more often.
It's hydroscopic, not hygroscopic.

So the higher the boiling point, the more often you need to change it? That makes zero sense. ATE type 200 recommended flush interval is 3 years instead of customary 2 despite its higher boiling temperature.

BTW, I use ATE type 200, very warmly recommended, it's better than stock.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:57 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
3) Any specific pointers?
With those turbo wheels on your car, you have the ability to save a lot of time and sweat and bleed the calipers without taking the wheels off. There is enough room there to get your hand, a wrench, and the tube on both bleed nipples. You will only need to roll the car slightly to get the wheel opening lined up. Have fun!
Old 03-31-2016, 06:40 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

You can use these for solo bleeding as well. http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Honestly, I haven't used anything other than Motul 600 in years on any of my cars - mostly because I buy it by the case...

-td
Old 03-31-2016, 06:42 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

You might consider running cheaper fluid thru intially at the fartherest wheel. And bleeding the clutch. Petza has good system for bleeding the clutch, which is a pain because the nipple sits on top of the tranny. It's not too bad after you learn how to do it.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:11 PM
rherring
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you know? re: 'OEM fluid it is identical to Pentosin SuperDot 4'
The 997.2 PET lists brake fluid as P/N 000 043 203 66. Maybe I am misinterpreting this but the linked Pentosin spec sheet includes the following.

OE REFERENCE NUMBERS/RECOMMENDATIONS
Make Reference Number
Mercedes Benz 000 989 08 07 19
Porsche 000 043 203 66
Porsche 000 043 203 67

http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/P...SuperDot_4.pdf
Old 03-31-2016, 07:42 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought the Porsche stuff was ATE but I could be wrong, both fine fluids.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:45 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dbv1
It's hydroscopic, not hygroscopic.
LOL, no it's hygroscopic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygroscopy

A hydroscope is a device for viewing underwater, so hydroscopic would be related to underwater viewing.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:05 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've gotten some good info from searches, so feel safe posting without being punched in the face, even though I am a Porsche owner who might have committed the minor infraction of asking something that was asked before.

My understanding (from searching!) is that the a 997 brake fluid refill is in order every two years.

I learned this because, while my rotors are in fantastic shape and there is ample meat on all brake pads, my pedal action (as I just cross two years of ownership) went from very firm and strong to a bit soft. Not going to say spongy, but relative to two years ago, it's a soft brake pedal feel.

1) Is it best just to go back to spec/stock fluid? Are higher-performing brake fluids available if I am looking at 90% spirited street driving?

2) Is there anything unique to the process for 997's?

3) Any specific pointers?

4) Anyone want to punch me?

Good advice thus far. It's very easy (especially with a Motive) on a 997 and after you do it once, you'll do it again and again and again ...

Just follow the proper bleed order, outer valve first then inner valve.

From the workshop manual:
Bleeding brakes
3. Connect a bleeding device to the brake fluid reservoir. Switch on the bleeding device. Bleeding
pressure is approx. 2.0 bar.
4. Continue the bleeding procedure at the brake calipers. Do so in the following sequence: rear right/rear
left/front right/front left. Bleed the outer bleeder valve first.
5. Use a transparent hose and a collecting bottle to check the escaping brake fluid is clean and free of air
bubbles and to determine the amount of brake fluid used.
6. Open each bleeder valve until clear, bubble-free brake fluid emerges.
7. Tighten the bleeder valves to the stipulated tightening torque and remove the bleeder hoses.
8. Generate vacuum in brake booster by starting engine. Check brake-pedal travel and pedal
feel.
Check the brake system for residual air by the amount of brake pedal travel. Repeat the bleeding procedure if
necessary. Operate (pump) the brake pedal at the same time as described below. This will remove the
remaining air bubbles from the primary circuit.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:53 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
You can use these for solo bleeding as well. http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Honestly, I haven't used anything other than Motul 600 in years on any of my cars - mostly because I buy it by the case...

-td
YES
Old 04-01-2016, 09:38 AM
Aspen Autosports
Former Vendor

Good info from all.

As for increasing hygroscopic properties: It wouldn't stop me from opting for better fluid and jumping to annual flushes, and it won't be the first time I've dealt with such fluids, but (if true) that is an excellent reminder as to the downside of getting brake fluid with a higher boiling point.

I just wanted to point that out and make you aware that you should be flushing more regularly.

Originally Posted by PJorgen
LOL, no it's hygroscopic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygroscopy

A hydroscope is a device for viewing underwater, so hydroscopic would be related to underwater viewing.
Thank you for beating me to this.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:16 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
You might consider running cheaper fluid thru intially at the fartherest wheel. And bleeding the clutch. Petza has good system for bleeding the clutch, which is a pain because the nipple sits on top of the tranny. It's not too bad after you learn how to do it.
Thanks for the props. Here's a pic of my setup.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:55 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Philster
It wouldn't stop me from opting for better fluid and jumping to annual flushes
I just wanted to point that out and make you aware that you should be flushing more regularly.
Why do you recommend flushing more than once per year? Porsche recommends once every two years on street cars. Changing twice a year would be 4X more than Porsche recommends.

Perhaps bleeding the brakes at 6 months and then changing annually would make sense. But a complete brake fluid flush twice a year for street driving [and perhaps under 6,000 miles for some people!] seems like overkill.

-td
Old 04-01-2016, 01:05 PM
Aspen Autosports
Former Vendor

Why do you recommend flushing more than once per year? Porsche recommends once every two years on street cars. Changing twice a year would be 4X more than Porsche recommends.

Perhaps bleeding the brakes at 6 months and then changing annually would make sense. But a complete brake fluid flush twice a year for street driving [and perhaps under 6,000 miles for some people!] seems like overkill.

-td
I did not recommend changing the fluid twice per year. I was making everyone aware that if they are running a higher temperature fluid that is more hygroscopic, they should be flushing more regularly than Porsche's every 2 year service interval.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:34 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the clarification. When Philster said he was considering moving to annual flushes and then you responded he should be doing it more regularly, it seemed like you were saying twice a year! Makes sense now!

-td

I did not recommend changing the fluid twice per year. I was making everyone aware that if they are running a higher temperature fluid that is more hygroscopic, they should be flushing more regularly than Porsche's every 2 year service interval.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:35 PM
Aspen Autosports
Former Vendor

Thanks for the clarification. When Philster said he was considering moving to annual flushes and then you responded he should be doing it more regularly, it seemed like you were saying twice a year! Makes sense now!

-td
I can see where the confusion set it. I apologize for not making myself more clear in the 1st place.

Quick Reply: Bleeding my brakes