Charge for CPO Diagnostic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 02:40 PM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Charge for CPO Diagnostic?

Question for everyone...

If I bring my vehicle in for a CPO warranty claim and they find "nothing wrong", should I get charged for the diag time?

I had two concerns with my car recently:
  • On hot days I've smelled coolant from my car after shutting it off.
  • Transmission doesn't like to shift into first sometimes after sitting at a traffic light.

I brought the car into the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong on either count. So they slapped me with a $142 Diag Fee and sent me on my way. Is that normal? Or should that be covered under warranty?
Old 03-22-2016, 02:42 PM
Cbst09
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's not normal from my experience. My car is CPO and I brought it in for a problem the dealer could not reproduce and there was no charge for the diagnostic.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:35 PM
blakecam
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

The difficulty of shifting into first is a common issue with our cars and is really not a "problem." It has been well documented in these forums. It primarily happens when the car is cold, and can be remedied by double clutching to shift into first.

As far as the diagnostic fee, I would not be happy with that as most dealers would do it free of charge as a good will gesture. If there is another dealer in your area, I would call them to ask if they charge a diagnostic fee.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:01 PM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

That's kind of what I figured. I wouldn't brought it in solely for the first gear thing, but since I was worried about a coolant leak I figured what the heck.

Anyone else with experience with this?
Old 03-22-2016, 08:24 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, and I've never been charged a diagnostic fee by anyone, especially on warranty. Even the dealerships for some of the Italian cars I've owned/still own don't do that and they're typically much more charge happy then Porsche.

In your case I'd be extra irritated by those charges - first of all you're on warranty and came with what you believe to be a real issue. Just because the dealership couldn't find it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I had a convertible with intermittent passenger side leaks in rain. Ended up having to take it in 3-4 times before they found the problem(it was back in the early 2000's so I don't recall exactly how many times). If they had charged me a diagnostic fee on top of wasting hours of my time having to go back over and over again I would have been livid. Finally changed out the top and had to re-align it twice before all problems stopped.

I can understand why a dealership would do this but I don't think I'd accept it. If they didn't make you sign something before they took the car in saying you are responsible for a diagnostic fee I wouldn't have paid it. I can't even remember taking a car in and not having to sign or initial some document with an estimate or work order that includes text about possible charges. If you signed something like that and didn't read it through you are probably SOL.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:01 AM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

Thank you for that insight. The only thing I signed when i dropped off the car was the waiver for the loaner car.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:35 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Would Fidelity or other aftermarket warranty companies pay the diagnostic fee?

Trending Topics

Old 03-23-2016, 06:44 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure every dealer is different but mine does not charge for CPO inspection. They provide complimentary inspections once a quarter. My dealer even called me to bring it in for a CPO inspection before warranty expires. The other dealership around here charges $150 to plug it in their diagnostic tool. My advice, find another dealer.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:30 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcoRemius
Question for everyone...

• On hot days I've smelled coolant from my car after shutting it off.
  • Transmission doesn't like to shift into first sometimes after sitting at a traffic light.
Coolant smell could be a small crack in the resevoir tank that is lot leaking enough for it to hit the ground - it's burning away before it gets there. Probably need to pressure test the resevoir to see if it slowly bleeds off pressure. Also check to see if the water pump is starting to weep (any dried residue toward the bottom of it)?

1st gear problem will likely be fixed by renewing your gear lube with Mobil PTX. There's a separate thread on this here and it has worked for a lot of people.

Quick Reply: Charge for CPO Diagnostic?