Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Style

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 11:00 PM
Troy997.1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any point pushing pass 6800rmps? I always thought the best gear change was between 6500-6800rpms?
Old 02-29-2016, 11:07 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy997.1
Is there any point pushing pass 6800rmps? I always thought the best gear change was between 6500-6800rpms?
Read my earlier posting. When you change at 6500 RPMs you will drop the RPMs in the next gear to a range below the optimal torque production area for that engine. You wind up lugging the engine.

Although these larger displacement engines tolerate a reasonable amount of 'lugging' compared to the smaller displacement days of the 911, why do it? Always drive for conditions. Sometimes you're not looking for max acceleration, and sometimes you are.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:20 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,404 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Read my earlier posting. When you change at 6500 RPMs you will drop the RPMs in the next gear to a range below the optimal torque production area for that engine. You wind up lugging the engine.

Although these larger displacement engines tolerate a reasonable amount of 'lugging' compared to the smaller displacement days of the 911, why do it? Always drive for conditions. Sometimes you're not looking for max acceleration, and sometimes you are.
The advice in this forum has totslly gone to **** lately.

You do not understand what lugging is.

Lugging does not occur anywhere near 4500.

Literally shaking my head
Old 03-01-2016, 11:21 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
The advice in this forum has totslly gone to **** lately.

You do not understand what lugging is.

Lugging does not occur anywhere near 4500.

Literally shaking my head
some members should be tagged 'IGNORANT' and then not allowed to post on advice sought threads
Old 03-01-2016, 12:13 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

While HP peaks before red line and drops slightly at red line, if you're attempting to extract 100% max accel/performance (such as a race), shifting at red line drops the engine RPM to a more ideal point.

For example: There are some Variable Valve Timing (VVT) engines that reward you greatly for shifting at red line, even though power dips slightly at red line, because when you land in the next gear the VVT is absolutely fully advanced at that RPM.

Last edited by Philster; 03-01-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:09 PM
gapbound1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
While peaks before red line and drops slightly at red line, if you're attempting to extract 100% max accel/performance (such as a race), shifting at red line drops the engine RPM to a more ideal point.

For example: There are some Variable Valve Timing (VVT) engines that reward you greatly for shifting at red line, even though power dips slightly at red line, because when you land in the next gear the VVT is absolutely fully advanced at that RPM.

So my question is, are we doing a great disservice to our engines by not driving them by design?
Old 03-01-2016, 01:39 PM
Paqueras
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its a Porsche and its built to drive it fast. Dont worry about getting close to the 7300 rpm. Just dont hit the fuel cut.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:41 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gapbound1
So my question is, are we doing a great disservice to our engines by not driving them by design?
I don' think there is any disservice is not nailing shifts at the red line. I had a qualifier in there: "If you're racing"

Racing: You're doing a disservice if you (generally) don't shift at red line (and there are times when short shifting is proper -- I know; I know).

I am a fan of the Italian tune up, so I usually make runs up near red line, but I'm not doing anything a disservice if I don't hit red line.

Don't overthink it. Just wind the damn engine out and enjoy it. Good god, what it does above 4500 RPM should be major reason for even owning it.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:43 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,404 Likes on 813 Posts

no.

Its a modern engine. Drive it however you like, maintain it well, and it will make no difference.

the only basics

Avoid lugging (thats a moderate load at like 1200rpm situation, not 4500rpm)
Avoid high loads and high rpms on an engine that doesn't have the oil up to temp
Try not to sit on the rev limiter all day long. Tagging it occasionally is no biggie
No money shifts
Old 03-01-2016, 03:07 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

Avoid lugging (thats a moderate load at like 1200rpm situation, not 4500rpm)
Avoid high loads and high rpms on an engine that doesn't have the oil up to temp
Try not to sit on the rev limiter all day long. Tagging it occasionally is no biggie
No money shifts
This is basically the only thing you need to know. /thread
Old 03-01-2016, 04:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You can drive them nearly anyway you want. Porsche has engineered these things over the years to be much more tractable by drivers who don't drive as aggressively as 911 drivers used to drive. Quite simply, with so much displacement, there is no need to push these things to redline to get every ounce of power out of them. There's is plenty there to go around. Years ago we had to have a more aggressive gear-shifting routine to extract power out of a 911. Not so today.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:48 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
some members should be tagged 'IGNORANT' and then not allowed to post on advice sought threads
Since you quoted him, and then made your post, I just want to make sure I have this right...You're calling Quadcammer ignorant... the guy who has been here since '06 with over 10,000 posts, and one of the coolest cars in the 997 forum?
Old 03-02-2016, 11:12 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Since you quoted him, and then made your post, I just want to make sure I have this right...You're calling Quadcammer ignorant... the guy who has been here since '06 with over 10,000 posts, and one of the coolest cars in the 997 forum?
i was commenting on quad's comment my man lol ... i can write it correctly for you to read...but i cannot read it correctly for u

oh btw, if someone has a cool car, does it make them more wise to give advice?
Old 03-02-2016, 11:30 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
oh btw, if someone has a cool car, does it make them more wise to give advice?
Yes, if they have a cool car and do a lot of the work on it themselves, it does make them more wise to give advice.

All good - just seems like there is more negativity in here lately, with "Does anyone else hate....(specific model or style)."
Old 03-04-2016, 06:04 PM
braymond52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carmichael
Chicagoans love to tailgate you at 90+ MPH as soon as outbound traffic back to the suburbs dissipates during the work week. Doesn't matter if they're driving a Dodge Caravan, a Toyota Prius, or any other kind of mundane commuting appliance, they'll tailgate you, even if you're not in the passing lane. Hell, sometimes they'll tailgate you when you're not making a pass fast enough in the passing lane, or even if the passing lane itself is clear for them to pass you.

Let's just say the 4,000-7,250 RPM range is useful for showing people the difference between a sports car and a mommymobile.

It's fun when a kid in a Lancer Evolution or a Subaru WRX STi, or other hot-hatch eggs me on to a quick sprint to the ton, though. Our gear ratios are well matched for these kinds of shenanigans.
One of the best days in my 911 was last summer on Highway 128 between Mendocino on the CA coast and Highway 101. It winds through the Redwoods to Wine country and is all short straights and curves.

Shortly into the drive a newer BMW 3 coupe appeared on my rear bumper. So I spent the next 30 miles showing him different ways of dropping him, letting him catch up and then doing it again. Straights, curves, hills, it didn't matter. I had too much fun....

Quick Reply: Driving Style